Size: Single|Change
Price:£4.70+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on 23 June 2014
Purchased this to take on a walk from Ullapool to Ardgay. It was a 4 day walk so to save weight i ditched the tent and slept under the stars in this and a sleeping bag.

Its basically a heavy duty plastic bag. As long as you don't get a hole in it its impermeable to water so kept me dry when it rained at night. Only down side is that with it being plastic you will get a build up of condensation after a while.

It is also an excellent wind break, and was used a few times to sit in and have lunch. Getting out the cold wind is such a morale booster.
I now carry it my rucksack every time I'm in the mountains. Luckily i have never had to use it in a survival situation but its reassuring to know its there incase i need it or incase any fellow walkers required it.

I would recommend anyone going into the mountains carry one of these. If you had to spend the night on the mountain then this will save your life, keeping you dry and out the wind, delaying the onset of hypothermia long enough for you to walk off in the morning or until mountain rescue located you.

It doesn't take up much space and is cheap as chips.
on 20 July 2011
I have used this plastic bivvy bag. It works. Personally I feel it is a little heavy and takes quite a bit of space. It keeps the water and wind out but you do sweat in it as it is not breathable. I like to carry a light rucksack ie focus on light contents. There are now lighter and warmer repackable small size foil + fabric water and wind proof bivvy types available and I would recommend one considers those.
on 12 September 2013
These are useful and necessary items when in the mountains and
just a useful when camping out under basha, tarps etc.. they are quite strong and are
re-useable if cared for properly. however when I ordered these I was looking for the gelert make
which I had used before, these are stronger and last well, I was sent these without discussion
and it stated on the invoice these highlander were higher quality at the same price,
this is not the case, although they do the job, the grade of material is lighter and they
tear that bit easier, I wish some suppliers would not try and pull the wool!!
on 6 November 2012
It arrived really quickly for a start. That already pleased me; but when I opened it and saw there were loads of instructions on the front of the bag for what to do if youre in dire straits on the mountain, and how to signal for SOS and all that, I was whooping for joy. I mean, if you are ever so unfortunate as to have to unveil the bag for matters more adverse than to use it to sit on to prevent soggy-bummage whilst consuming your meat spread sandwiches on the mountain the last thing you want is to be bored while you're waiting for the helicopter.

The story on the bag tells of hope and survival, it informs whilst keeping you entertained thus maintaining morale and if that isnt enough for us demanding ramblers, it's a jolly orange colour that I think Farrow and Ball refer to as "Dale Winton Pale". I took it on my first backpacking adventure in the Lakes a couple of weekends ago, and when my friends tent groundsheet demonstrated its wicking qualities, it kept the underside of my sleeping mat and henceforth, myself, nice and dry also! If I ever have to use if for its intended purpose, Im sure I will be incredibly glad of it. I also hope by that point that I dont take it out to find it too ripped, chewed, grass and meat-spread stained and it will still do what it was intended for! Someone really should write a book; 101 alternative things to do with a survival bag. I might start, itll keep me from writing bad reviews instead.
44 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 May 2013
Having used these..

While these are good for someone on a budget, it's only going to keep the rain off you, and not keep you very warm in an emergency. They also arn't particulary light or small to pack. This would only keep you alive if you had a sleeping bag to throw in it, but in that case you'd probably be hiking or ccamping, so you'd have a tent. If you need something for a situation where you don't have a tent, or you want to save on weight and rucksac space, My reccomendation would be to buy a SOL emergency bivvy (whichever one you want, depending how much you want to spend). Essientially the same thing, but they have a reflective layer to conserve body heat, and they pack up VERY small and light.
on 1 September 2010
Good bit of kit. Basic model but unless climbing K2 this is all you need
on 26 June 2014
means heavy to pack into your bag. bought this for my son who was doing an ultramarathon from Carlisle Castle to Newcastle Quayside over Hadrians Wall - too heavy to put into the bag and carry all the way so just used it in one section. I suppose if he had needed it it would have done the job.
on 26 August 2010
Got as an emergency supply. Small and lightweight. Did not actually use on trip but excellent backup to have in rucksack.
on 2 March 2015
It's orange, plastic and a fantastic means of hastening progress down snowy slopes 8-) Hopefully i'll never have to use it for it's intended purpose, but if I do it'll be safe it the knowledge that it's still intact from having been used as a sledge...this bag is made from a decent grade of plastic.
on 3 March 2015
Good quality and the extra instructions are useful. Look you should only need this if something has gone badly wrong - but keep it with you when you walk and it'll be a comfort. I used it to cover my sleeping bag to sleep outside for a charity thing over night, and it kept the bag dry.