on 18 July 2008
Ahhh... Nintendo. Nobody can beat Nintendo when it comes to the handheld gaming market. Nokia had a go with the N-Gage. I've only ever seen one N-Gage. And Sony had a slightly more respectable go with the PSP, which, while fun, broke fairly easily, became scratched and generally fell out of favour among those who wanted a more pick-up-and-play gaming experience.
The DS Lite improves on Nintendo's original release by making the console thinner, lighter and considerably better to look at. It's clear the Japanese gaming gurus took onboard all of the initial criticisms (of which there were not many) and built something that defies all expectations of handheld gaming.

To start with: the graphics. 2d graphics are crystal clear with bright, vibrant colours and a great resolution. The majority of DS games use a 2 dimensional system which, although not as good looking as 3d graphics, still work astonishingly well withing the context of the games. 3d graphics come as standard a lot more on later DS games as it's capabilities were put to better use, but graphics are not quite on par of those on the PSP.

The sound out of the DS is also fairly impressive. Sporting a pair of small speakers- one on either side of the upper screen- the DS is capable of producing stereo sound. For those who like their sound crisper, the DS also has a headphone port. The volume control is on the closest edge of the DS, meaning it is very difficult to change accidentally while playing a game.

The DS Lite is compatible with both DS cards and Gameboy Advance cartridges. Sadly, it is no longer compatible with the original gameboy cartridges as the Gameboy Advance was. As DS software is region-free you can play US or Japanese imports on your DS without having to resort to risky modifications.

One of the main things that the DS has going for it, however, is the multiplayer aspect of the games. Most games have some sort of multiplayer mode built in meaning with more than one DS you and your friends could all play on the same game together. Several great games also have a DS Download Play feature, where only one game card is needed for a group of people to play all or part of the multiplayer game.

The new lines of the DS Lite makes it look gorgeous and more than a little bit elegant. The case is hard-wearing and has a feel of quality about it. All of the buttons are responsive but solid and the screens do not scratch easily. The folding clam-shell design further protects the screens when not in use and the stylus has been thickened slightly since the console's predecessor to allow it to be used easier.

The DS Lite is a great console for family and friends. With a strong focus on the multiplayer market, Nintendo have created a wonderful console with a massive range of family friendly games for fun for all ages.
11 Comment| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 28 October 2008
I've had my NDS Lite for about eight months now and have never regretted buying it. I was initially put off with the bulky original DS, but after seeing an NDS Lite thought I would bite the bullet. I also bought an external see through case/skin and a small hard pouch/case to put the nds lite and its peripherals into it. If your going to spend this much money spend a little more to protect your investment. I'm glad I did - Ive dropped this a couple of times onto the floor some time ago (not recommended!), but the hard crystal case/skin (which i bought separately) appears to have saved it.

The NDS Lite itself is incredibly addictive many games use the touch screen stylus and microphone as well as the buttons. I have since played with a PSP and been overawed by the PSP - the games on PSP look way more better than on the NDS, but again Nintendo have got the mixture just right and I still don't regret buying the NDS Lite, would still buy it over the PSP - its my faithful companion that I even take to work (to play during my breaks). Although I initially bought this for myself, my wife is forever 'borrowing' it! This is where another coloured DS Lite would come in handy!

I hate carrying all my cartridges around with me so I ended up buying a m3 ds real, a flash cart that you use instead of the game cartridges. This is a bit if a grey area as although it doesn't invalidate your Nintendo warranty, its usage is frowned upon as a lot of people use it for piracy. But its advantages cannot be denied - Ive got a 8gb micro sdhc card which slots into the m3, and allows me to carry 8gb worth of games all on one cartridge! (you have to download the games, and you can download legal home brew software, but please support the game developers and *only* download the cartridges you own, say NO to piracy and don't spoil it for the rest of us). I tend to find prices on play.com very good for buying nds cartridges. The m3 also allows me to play video, music and pictures on the NDS Lite - something Nintendo should have done ages ago.

Also with some games you can actually export your saved characters onto the Wii!! For example Pokemon Daimond/Pearl on NDS to Pokemon Battle Revolution on the Wii!

If your debating whether or not to buy - just buy it, you wont regret it! (Now all you have to do is choose what colour you want!)
on 2 July 2008
This is easy to use, light to carry and the fully charged battery lasts for around 16 hours when set on low screen brightness. The two screens are really handy as it saves flipping back and forth between modes as in some GBA games or adds extra elements in others. The touch screen is fun and adds an extra dimension to game-play over the gameboy advance.

The wi-fi connectivity allows game play with friends and connection to the internet to play with other Nintendo gamers. There is a calendar, a clock and an alarm. It has built in stereo speakers and a microphone socket. Overall I think it is excellent value for money (these days) and great fun to use.
on 7 July 2008
I think this console is an excellent price for its money , i think that the colour is gorgous i would recommend it to anyone ! i have had no problems with it like other people with other ds lte consoles i think it is brilliant and fab colour to pick
Got this to replace a broken and tried to fix DS Lite, as already had loads of games. Could not believe the price of under £20 for a new machine so snapped it up. Brilliant item, new, great library of games.
on 11 October 2016
I ordered a second hand Nintendo DS Lite, which was promised to be in very good condition. However, the same day it had arrived, it stopped working. I had turned it on and it was working, I used it for about 5 minutes, closed the lid over because I needed to do something else, and then when I re-opened it around 20 minutes later both screens were black. I immediately switched it off and on again but nothing happened, and I've tried charging it multiple times. I've also unscrewed the back the access the battery to make sure it was in place properly, and it still won't work.
on 13 December 2008
i am 11 i got the turquise lite after the hinges of my old ds broke.
i got the turquise because its a very calming couler i like it better than the others. the coulers a lot nicer when you hold it than what it is on the advertisment. the only problem is you soon get lots of finger prints on your new shiny d.s so i recomend you buy a case.
the thing i love is that the screen is bright and how portable it is.
iv'e not given it the full 5 stars because because of the fingure prints and my cousine has the same ds in white and hers broke!!!!!!!!!
i would recomend this product to people all ages.
x marks daughter lucyx x
on 1 November 2013
The console arrived before suggested delivery date and was in as new condition. I have had the unit for about a week now and have found no problems with it at all. Would definitely use this seller again
on 14 March 2014
The seller described the unit as good condition and that's how it arrived. It was bought to replace a worn out unit.
on 6 November 2015
I am loving this DS, it came very quick through the post and exactly as the seller described it. Very well built and reliable, and in a colour that is very easy on the eyes and attractive.
I would recommend this to anyone who loves the DS or Nintendo in general.