Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(5 star). See all 23 reviews
on 10 May 2013
Brilliant album. Such a 50s nostalgia to the music. Great lyrics, very nice music.
One of the best acts of this century.
CD and case are in brilliant condition.
on 15 August 2014
requested from grand daughter, a follower and she loves it
on 9 July 2009
I wached yes man and really liked Zoey Deschanel's voice, so I bought this. I have to say that I was expecting a 'side project' sound and production, but what I got was a polished end product. The album is a welcome throw back to late sixties pop folk but in a very relaxed style. I would highly recommend it!
on 22 October 2014
Good value
on 30 September 2015
It only seems right to play She & him on vinyl, very happy with this.
on 14 September 2013
I loved the style of the music and I have bought all the other albums due to listening to this.
on 26 October 2013
She & Him makes wonderful music (if you like that kind of music).
I listen to it all the time!
on 21 July 2008
I have to say I was a bit sceptical when I heard M.Ward was going to be collaborating with an actress - Zooey Deschanel. His solo work is so amazing that I thought this would fall well short. How wrong I was - it's not his usual style, instead of the bluesy, slightly gothic folk that he usually produces, this is a more country tinged collection of songs, sung very ably by Deschanel. M. Ward takes a more understated role, demonstrating what an accomplished guitarist he is, but not overpowering the records, instead allowing Deschanel to shine through.

The standout tracks for me are 'Why do you let me stay here?' with great guitars, tambourines & a country rock feel, and 'I thought I saw your face today' which is just beautiul, sung in such a dreamy wistful way. There isn't a dud song on the album, ok so maybe the Beatles cover 'I Should Have Known Better' isn't that great, and M. Ward's backing vocals are a bit cheesy, but even so it's got a certain degree of charm.

This album is a throwback to classic 60s/70s pop, it reminds me at times of Dusty Springfield or even Doris Day...so it's never going to be called groundbreaking. However, what I would call it is a charming, uplifting, well produced album. It puts a smile on my face everytime I listen to it
on 17 April 2012
Unbelievable vocals from the beautiful and talented Zooey Deschanel, aided by Mark Ward. Reminiscent of the best female vocalists of the fifties and sixties. The clarity of the vocals and purity of tone make this must for real music lovers.
on 8 September 2009
This album is timeless, yes you can say it sounds a bit like this or that era, but when you add it all up it doesn't fit nicely into any category. Which makes it unique, which makes it an accurate reflection of Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward's personality's. The album comes across as heartfelt which is all I ask from a performer. I love the way that like minds gravitate towards each other, Zooey and Mark met on the set of The Go Getter for all who didn't already know, a very sweet little movie that if you haven't already seen you should, add it to your to rental list and you won't be sorry you did.
The only problem with the album for me is it does leave you wanting more, much, much more. I have even taken to collecting the various recordings Zooey has floating about out there, mainly found on the soundtrack albums from her movies and from the work she did with Coconut records. And it still isn't enough, the album is enchanting and haunting at the same time and this is largely due to M. Wards very soulful performance.
M. Wards back catalog is now a staple of my music catalog too although I did edit out a few songs as I always do even with the best artists out there, not that there's anything wrong with them, just that I like what I like and I try to thin my collection down all the time so as I only have my absolute favorites on rotation, the fact that I have 27 tracks of his in my playlist give's you some idea of how highly I rate him personally.
Needless to say, I highly recommend giving the album a try, I can't see how even the most discerning of music connoisseurs could find fault with it.