on 15 August 2009
As I began making my own frames I needed an easier way to get mounts, rather than getting them custom made from the local print shop, buying this allows you to create the standard 45 degree mount, making framed pictures more professional.
The product comes with about 6 replacement blades which should last a long time, but they are widely available online.
Both cutters, the angle cutter and the straight cutter, cut a variety of different medias including foam board which may become useful in the future. For other materials, even glass other cutters, can be brought from Logan, which I'm yet to try.

This cutter ensures all edges are perfectly centered and level, it does take a bit of practice to get the mount hole the right size, the cutter takes about 2mm of your measurements on all sides, once this is understood it creates perfect mounts every time
on 10 October 2009
An excellent product, the Logan mount cutter is supplied with an instruction video making it so easy to use. I didn't think that I would be able to produce such perfect mounts. Thanks
on 2 September 2010
Really easy to use, and feels very durable. I personally don't get a clean cut 100% of the time, but it's not far off, and is easily put right with a craft knife when i do get a little bit of card left behind (it could well be my sometimes slap dash approach that causes this to happen).

I would recomend it to anyone needing to cut mounts on a regular basis.
on 8 July 2012
I have struggled for many years to make decent mounts for my photographs. I started with a Stanley knife and ruler which is time consuming and difficult to get a decent bevel. I next moved to a purpose-built ruler and cutter which I have made work reasonably well but it frequently failed to make the cut in one go leading to small snags and double cuts. It too is time consuming. The Logan cutter does away with all that. Of course it's more expensive than the other methods but it works - easily and quickly. And the price tag is considerably below that of other makes.

This really is a perfect way of making mounts at home and will repay the initial outlay very quickly. (Spare blades are readily available and cheap.)
on 13 March 2013
This is probably a good product, and probably works very well. But only for right handed people. Only after you open the box, and tear the envelope for the DVD instructions, do you learn this. In the instruction video they say it can be used by left handers, and although this is true to some extent, it is not easy or comfortable and would not be practical for more than one or two mounts at a time. It comes with a craft knife for cutting straight edges and getting your mountboard down to the correct size. This knife is completely unusable for the purpose by a lefthander because you cannot butt it up against the straight edge of the cutter.

So this review is not a review of its use by a right handed person. Really just a recommendation that left handers should not buy. I'm now using a Longridge Cutter - which is way more expensive, unfortunately, but which has paid attention to left handed people by design.
on 14 January 2012
Having just purchased a Logan Compact Cutter Model 301 S Having never used a cutter before I found it very easy to use and it gives you a first class finish.
Once again I have found the service you get and the price you pay from Amazon to be to be the very best.
on 9 February 2012
An excellent tool. Tried a cheaper brand and had to take it back as it was not fit for purpose. Ended up buying the Logan cutter for little extra cost. What an improvement in quality and so easy to use.
on 1 February 2012
My experience of mount cutters in the past has been dire, having used aged ones at University so I wasn't expecting anything too amazing as had previously blamed my own abilities. This tool has thrown those doubts out of the window!

Well built, it cuts well, even through thick, dense conservation board. Also very very impressed with the delivery time, got here much faster than I expected.

Would like to know why it's categorised as a toy though?
on 26 July 2012
This ia a serious bit of equipment and beats the competition hands down, I know this because I have tried the competition. I believe it is an American product and design it is a shame we cant gear up and make something very similiar in this country.
on 23 November 2012
For anyone who needs to perform standard mounting this is exactly what you need. I spend a lot of time mounting photos for photo competitions and I can do 10 photos in 10 minutes using this mount