Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 February 2017
Great CD!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 February 2008
Here, the seemingly unstoppable Dolly Parton has given the record buying public her most contemporary sounding country album in years. Indeed, even I, who is a very hit-and-miss fan of Ms. Parton's music, can find a lot of really good stuff here on 'Backwoods Barbie'.

The opening track and single 'Better Get To Livin' is very catchy with a nice, positive message, and her covers of Smokey Robinson's classic 'The Tracks of My Tears', and Five Young Cannibals late '80s hit 'She Drives Me Crazy' are worthy of repeated listens. The gem of the lot is 'Jesus & Gravity', a truly great song, sung with much conviction from a woman whose childlike vocals do irritate me after a while, though I think her voice has matured rather nicely. The title track is a traditional sounding country song, which is all to clearly a self-parody.

In recent years, Dolly has won critical acclaim for a series of bluegrass albums, which have sold well in the UK, but now she's back with a more contemporary sound which could really bring her back to the mainstream of things. If you're an avid fan, you'll treasure this new release. If you're not so focused on her, then 'Backwoods Barbie' might still charm you.

PS: Now, I know she's had loads of plastic surgery, and the front cover picture has been airbrushed to perfection, but whoa, doesn't she look good in it?
on 11 March 2008
I'm not a particularly huge country fan. So much of it is so twee and dislikeable, but I'm a big fan of quality music, no matter what genre its from. This 2008 return to Country from it's reigning Queen is quite simply, a stunning album. For a good half an hour I couldn't get past the first track, and first single from the album, 'Better Get To Livin' which cements Dolly's reputation as a master of her art. From that point onwards, the album just goes from strength to strength. I was touched by the lyrics of the song 'Backwoods Barbie', and Dolly's vulnerability beneath her exterior is a recurring theme. I'm not sure 'Drive Me Crazy' works as well as some others, but that's certainly not to say it's a weak point.

It's testimony to the quality of this release that those for whom Dolly has become the butt of her jokes in terms of her image will be unable to do anything but stand and admire a country legend, back and in the greatest form ever. Remarkable.
on 29 February 2008
This is another great album from Dolly, it's amazing how, after 41 years of releasing albums, she can keep coming up with the goods - but she does. The word legendary doesn't even begin to signify or describe her status as a songwriter and performer, while most of her peers live on their past glories and accolades, Dolly still sounds as fresh and exciting as the day she stepped off the bus in Nashville in 1964 with a guitar in hand, a notebook of songs & a head full of dreams and a drive that was gonna take her to the dizzy heights of superstardom. This album shows why she is still there at the top!
She's written 9 of the songs here, all to her usual high standard and the three others are great including covers of The Tracks Of My Tears and a wonderful country-fied version of (she) Drives Me Crazy, potential hit here? Some of the others already sound in the vintage Dolly classic mode, especially the tracks Backwoods Barbie, Cologne, The Lonsomes, I Will Forever Hate Roses (pure country), and the super Better Get To livin'.

I think this is the nicest packaged CD of Dolly's career (LOL), obviously she got her start with vinyl (I have 80 of them) so it was difficult to squeeze Miss Dolly onto a tiny CD sleeve, they're a bit limited but they've got it right for this CD, the artwork and packaging is brilliant... so top marks for that!

But the music is what counts and it is simply great and Dolly's voice is as strong as ever.

See you on tour girl!
on 22 February 2011
Dolly Parton - Backwoods Barbie (Dolly)
Her first mainstream country album in almost two decades, Dolly Parton returns to Nashville's womb-like embrace with a strong, mostly self-penned collection (nine from eleven are written by Parton). I must confess to enjoying her more rootsier releases than the more polished material presented here, but you'll bet the family pig that the big songs, "Better Get To Livin'", "Made Of Stone" and especially the title track, will be worrying a country chart somewhere near you, very soon. 8/10.
on 27 March 2008
A wonderful, accessible album by the queen of country. While I'm not sure we need another cover of 'Tracks Of My Tears', even from Dolly, the nine original compositions here are all strong, melodic songs with Dolly's trademark intimate, clever lyrics. Stand out songs are the title track, 'Backwoods Barbie' - a more mature 'Dumb Blonde', 35+ years on - and 'Cologne', a beautiful, poignant song from the perspective of 'the other woman'. Then there's 'Somebody's Everything'... Oh what the hec, they're all stand out tracks! Just buy the CD and find out for yourself!
on 6 July 2008
I just felt that I had to write a review.

We went to see Dolly last night at the O2 arena and wow ... what a show.

Over 2hrs she played 6 of the tracks above as well as her classic's Islands in the Sream, Jolene, 9 to 5, Coat of many colurs, Why'd you come in here looking like that etc.

I've seen a few concerts in my 25 years but that by far was the best (I think that with no warm up act and the seats we had helped!!)

Buy the cd and then watch the 'Euro 08' tour DVD when its released.
on 6 July 2010
I like the original Dolly stuff and this is just as good, even better with the title track and a couple of others on here. Its one of those CD's thats going to be on a loop for quite some time in the car. Brilliant to sing along to if maybe a little high for my range! Maybe just as well no one can hear me. Some lovely tunes, some lovely lyrics. I really love this album.
on 4 September 2008
This CD is fantastic - a return to form for the First Lady of Country music. From the opening track, the lyrics and music flow easily, and are all likeable, 'catchy' and heartfelt.

Ofcourse they are stand out tracks - the first single, 'Better Get To Living' but also the wonderfully up-lifting 'Jesus & Gravity' and the great 'Shinola' (a track where Dolly gets mad and even!). Plus an amazingly original cover version of 'She Drives Me Crazy', where Dolly add's her own touch of 'crazy'!

Most of the tracks tell a story and so many, it seems, come - possibly - from Dolly's own life experience's, especially the title-track 'Backwoods Barbie'. And top marks have to be given for the art-work of the album - Dolly looks 'the part'.

This is cross genre music at it best - I cannot recommend more highly!
on 18 June 2008
For the die-hard Dolly fans i'm sure this is a 5/5 all the way but for me, a 28 year old casual Dolly fan its not quite perfect.

The stand out tracks for me are definately the title-track Backwoods Barbie, Tracks of my Tears and I Will Forever hate Roses, which is classic Dolly Parton!

The rest are very good with the exception of two.

Jesus & Gravity is cringeworthy and I can't even listen to it all the way through and i'm surprised it made the album. Only Dreamin' is a very folksy song but very bland and again, i'm sure a lady of Dolly's talents has alot better than this.

The Lonesomes is a great little blues number and Cologne is another of the heart-string pulling songs which she does so well.

Overall, while there's no songs to challenge "Tennessee Mountain Home" its a great album but the two poor ones took the shine off it for me.

Dolly still has an outstandingly beautiful voice and anyone who doesn't like this album doesn't like music!