Customer reviews

Letters from the Underground
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 September 2013
Hello! This album is an ok Levellers album, hasn't grown on me quick enough really so have rated it ok.
Would recommend their latest album and going to see them live for they are brilliant!
If your new to the Levellers you will love Levelling the Land and Static on the Airwaves as and introduction to them!
on 20 August 2012
I used to love The Levellers back in the 90s. Saw them at Glastonbury. Bought all the albums. Then I forgot about them for a while. I bought this album on the spur of the moment, not expecting much, assuming they had reached their peak years ago. Wow! Was I in for a surprise. This is the best since Levelling the Land. It's the Levellers at the top of their game. Thumping raw tunes. Play it loud. I'm so glad they can still pull stuff like this out of the bag. Makes me think there might be more in the offing.
on 7 October 2014
Really good, they're back to their best.
on 13 March 2009
Some wonderful tracks particularly "The Cholera Well", "A Life Less Ordinary", and "Burn America Burn". Once again well produced,faultlessly played and energy laden. A must have for all Levellers fans!
on 18 March 2015
well formatted disc, rock n roll, thankyou.
on 30 November 2012
My only criticism of this CD would be that the mix of what songs come when, in my view could have been done differently. As some songs finish the start of the next sound very similar... However still an excellent CD and I don't think any Leveller's fan should be without it.
on 25 August 2008
A nice short n sweet review. Letters From The Underground is a return to form for the Lev's. In my opinion up there with their best.
on 31 December 2012
Love this album, but I am biased as I'm a bit of a Levellers fan, so I wouldn't say anything else!
on 16 January 2015
Learning more about this band
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 September 2008
I've been listening to the Levellers for many years, since I saw them supporting New Model Army on tour back in 1990. I've seen them live numerous times, and they are always a storming live act. Unfortunately, their recent albums have been a bit of a disappointment. "Hello Pig" was the low point for me - barely a tune on it, and I struggled to listen all the way through once. "Green Blade Rising" was better, but "Truth And Lies" was another slip downhill - another one that I struggled to listen to more than once.

I bought "Letters..." yesterday, and was very pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure what's happened, but this is far closer to Levellers of old than the stuff they've been putting out since 2000. The tunes are actually catchy again, and there is a degree of energy and enthusiasm that has been sadly lacking in their recent work.

It doesn't quite reach the heights of classics like "Levelling The Land", but if (like me) you'd given up on Levellers over the last few years, this is well worth a listen.