Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 May 2008
Stop the press... we have a major problem here! Usher's new album is going to get some very mixed reviews! Why?... because of the high expectation that comes with any Usher Raymond release. People are expecting to hear a world class banging CD on first play, but that's exactly what you don't get with "Here I Stand".

Usher has grown up and as personal as his last release "Confessions" was, this album is reflective of where he is in his life here and now. Its a mirror of his current experiences, almost an open diary.

On first listen it does nearly disappoint, but then real gems like "Something Special", "Lifetime", "Love In The Club (Part 2)" and the title track "Here I Stand" all demand a second listen and its only then that the true appreciation for what is on offer finally kicks in.

Many reviewers unfortunately may make the mistake of throwing down their opinions after just one listen, but once fully comprehended, this album is the well produced, varied and sumptuous in flavour and beats R&B release that the genre has been crying out for. Well done Usher... more of the same please :o)
on 6 June 2008
It seems a lot of people are disappointed with Usher's new album release - I think the problem is that his fans are still wanting songs like 'U-Turn' or 'You remind me'. Unfortunately, people do grow up and mature, not just with age but also with their music. Songs on 'Here I Stand' shouldn't be seen as bad just because they are not fast or pop-ish...Usher is an RnB singer and there is plenty or RnB ballads on this spectacular album. Hits on this new album (in my view) are: Love in this Club, Trading places, Moving Mountains [such emotional lyrics!], Something special, Love you gently, Before I met you, His mistakes, What's a man to do, Love in this Club [part2] and Will work for love. So all in all, there are only 7 out of 17 songs that I'm not keen on, that's 10 possible #1 hits...don't give up after one listen of this brilliant masterpiece! It WILL grow on you, I recommend it so don't listen to the boring farts on here claiming that Usher isn't what he used to be because to me...he's 100 times better!

:-)
I may be middle - aged , but there is something about Usher's music which I find relaxing and pleasant to listen to . This compilation of tracks , I feel , is well balanced and mature in taste . The music is complex sometimes and I personally enjoy as such .
on 22 August 2013
I love this album ....
Playing it everyday, will never get tired if Ushers voice
Forever young, moving mountains, his mistakes are my favourite trackes.
This is one of the older albums but well worth a listen.
GREAT !!!!!
on 15 March 2012
excellant cd delivery was fast and product in excellant condition. would use sellor again. packaging very good no scatches or scuff marks on cd. It was a gift and came on time was fast delivery and was easier to find better than buying in the shops.....
Mr Raymond, I wanted to like your new album. I really, really did.

It's a fine voice you have there...no doubt about it...a very fine voice...

...and it's not as though you were short of a few good songs too.

...but then something went badly, badly wrong between the conception, writing
and final execution of this project.

'Here I Stand' is probably one of the most cluttered, overproduced projects
you are likely to hear this year.

Everything and the kitchen sink is thrown into the mix. Simple, effective
and perfectly decent musical ideas are completely swamped and overwhelmed
by heavy handed production values.

'Forever Young' is a real stinker of an opener. Film-score schmaltz.

'Love In This Club' could've been a winner had the crass synthesiser and vocal
arrangement not obliterated an otherwise great central performance.

'This Ain't Sex' does the business. A good example of how less really can be more.

Likewise 'Something Special' another economical arrangement.

'Love You Gently' is a gentle love song completely destroyed by some of the worst
electric piano intrusions imaginable.

'Love In This Club Part II' is a crass celebrity friend makeweight not saved by La Beyonce's
pedestrian contribution.
Lil Wayne's raperlude is, however, intriguingly creepy.

'Here I Stand' another standout track . Mr Wonder smiling from the wings perhaps.

Closing track 'Will Work For Love' is probably the albums true low point.
Banal, trite and insincere beyond belief.

Sorry Mr Raymond. I sort of believe in you...but on this showing I really struggled.

Next time keep it simple. Less really can be more.
on 23 May 2008
I have to admit to being a huge usher fan, and admitly thought confessions was really good album but no 8701. First hearing this album I thought, some good tunes but the album as a whole is not what i expected. However, after 2 or three listens I feel in love with more or less every song, with ones standing out like "This Aint Sex", "Trading Places", "Whats Your Name", "Best Thing" and "Whats A Man To Do" along with "love in this club" ofcourse and the remix to go with it. That in my oppion is a fair few tracks . Overal Give it time and you will love the album, some great stuff to look foward to.
on 27 May 2008
Only for usher fanatics. It's just too slow. 8701 and confessions leave this in a long dark shadow. Nothing really innovative here I'm afraid. I hope there's a few decent remixes as the album falls short of what this man is capable of. Album highlights: This ain't Sex; Whats your name; In this club; Best Thing.
on 26 November 2008
Usher becomes the victim of his own success on this album. If Jaheim or Raheem DeVaughn or Dwele had released the exact same album, it would have been a classic, but not for Usher. Instead, he comes off as a former superstar, trendsetter who's gone soft. This, for me, is not a bad thing because I can relate to this Usher better having been married 2yrs ago myself.

Songs like "Appetite", "Before I Met You" & "Here I Stand" are real/relevant to me and they stand out as my favourites. The 1st single "Love In This Club" and its remix are also brilliant but unfortunately also misleading as they do not define what the rest of the album is about. Other tracks that play on the sex theme like "Trading Places" & "This Ain't Sex" fall flat.

Unfortunately for Usher is the fact since he's been gone the R&B scene has evolved. An evolution lead by the European sounds of StarGate & the Jodeci'esque sounds of Tricky & The Dream. Acts like Ne-Yo, J-Holiday, Chris Brown etc. have had a few years doing it so it does not sound fresh when Usher tries it on. "What's You Name" with Will.I.Am for example is excellent but it sounds like every other song on Ne-Yo's last album. Similarly, the power ballad and 2nd single "Moving Mountains" may be on class of its own lyrically but the overall package sounds generic.

Usher does redeem himself on the all too short intro and interlude tracks. These are beautiful tracks that really put his pipes on display, the extra slow "Love you Gently" is another beautiful addition. But I suppose people aren't ready to hear Usher on slow jams and that explains the reception that this album has had.

I applaud Usher for taking a stand on this album, even if the rest of the world may choose not to stand with him
on 5 July 2008
Like i said in my title this album is so much better than confessions i thought apart from the singles he released from confessions there were only about 3 or 4 tracks i liked that were not singles. Anyway let's get into this album, it defo shows off a more grown up usher let not forget he is nearly 30
Foever young-It took me a while to get into this song but now i like it
Love in this club-Great club banger but part 2 is better
This ain't sex and Trading places are great uptempo songs love, love these two tracks.
Moving mountains- A lovely heartfelt ballad
What's your name- Still not sure about this one but a defeinite grower
Prayer 4 u-One word cute
Something special-Lovely song about love
Love you gently-A great song 4 the lovers
Best thing feat JAY-z- A brillant song love jay-z's raps
Before i met you- One of my favourites it is about him being a player until he met his wife
His mistakes- Written and co-produced by Ne-yo,lovely ballad another of my favourites
Appetite- good uptempo song
What's a man to do- This song is off the chain such a great song
Revolver- No this song is not about a gun, it is about resolving arguments
Lifetime-Lovely ballad about spending your life with that one special person
Love in this club part 2- Much better than the single feating beyonce's soulful vocals and lil wayne with a brillant rap
Here i stand and Will work 4 love, great songs with good beats
THIS ALBUM IS UP THERE WITH HIS SECOND ALBUM 8701 HE HAS GROWN SO MUCH DON'T LISTEN 2 DA NEGEATIVE REVIEWS. GET THIS NOW!