on 8 April 2018
Bought this as the built-in Realtek sound doesn't work in Linux Mint.

Installed the card and Mint recognised it instantly without any need to mess around installing drivers. My needs are modest (I have it connected to my hi-fi and use it with my headphones) but there are plenty of options available for those you who want to realise its full potential.

A good price for a good card and fully recommend it.
on 26 August 2017
I bought this for my Linux setup. Some Linux distros just don't play nice (mostly not at all) with the on-board Realtek ALC sound capabilities.
Linux (Fedora 26 in this case) just recognised it and configured it: got 5.1 surround sound without having to do any manual intervention.
Works well on Windows 10 too. The PC is a dual Fed 26/ Windows 10.
on 4 November 2013
The sound from my onboard ALC887 card coupled with a relatively cheap Panasonic 5.1 surround sound was grand for music but absolutely appalling for movies. I wasn't sure which was to blame. I read all the forums, all the blogs. Still couldn't pin which was at fault. So after humming and hawing eventually decided to take the plunge. I'm glad to report it was definitely worth it. The card comes with an adaptor for optical input/TOSLINK and a standard aux cable. I'm using the adapter with optical input to great success. Also it was recommended to use a different set of driver which I downloaded and installed with no problems, without looking at drivers in box. The ASUS drivers are apparently quite dodgy.
2 people found this helpful
on 2 October 2014
I bought this as I aspire to become a professional gamer (I play League of Legends and a few different FPS games). Playing at a competitive level means that the small details such as the sound of footsteps really do matter as they help you to determine where the enemy is.

I've paired this card with my Astro A50 headphones and now it is like I'm actually there!
3 people found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 9 December 2012
This is something of a revelation. It produces sound that can feed really high quality speakers and the results are stunning - room filling, lots of clear bass, lovely sweet sharp trebles. A very good sound card.
on 17 December 2016
Great sound quality for your pc. Low height bracket included for squeezing it into a small case.
on 16 February 2017
Bought to give media centre PC dolby sound with win 10 via Amp.

Installed and using optical connection with no problems at all.
on 27 February 2017
Not convinced with the provided equaliser software, other than that it sounds great.
on 24 April 2018
Made my life worse.
on 6 March 2013
Moved on to this from an old Creative Fatality XFI card. This wipes the floor with pretty much anything creative puts out, and actually has decent drivers. Small, but mighty.