Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 December 2014
I came across this bands' name many times over the years but decided to give them a go after hearing opener 'Only Shallow.'
I wanted to try something rocky that's a bit different, and this is one of the most difficult bands and albums to categorize you can imagine! Although pigeon-holed as 'Shoegazing', it almost sounds like a bastard offspring of Grunge at times, and considering it was released the same year as Nirvana's 'Nevermind,' comparisons to that genre are expected but ultimately unfounded, as the band is deeply rooted in post-punk / alt rock but are utterly unique. A lot of comparisons have been made to bands like Sonic Youth, but since I haven't really listened to them I can't comment. To me, as a mostly hard rock and metal fan, the best description I can muster is a 'less Metal,' less riff-driven version of the Deftones, in that they are both heavy or at least sonically excessive and soothing and the same time, but with more weird noises.
The vocals are very soothing by Bilinda Butcher and Kevin Shields and are often a sharp contrast to the heavily distorted and experimental noise going on around their melodies. There are acoustic guitars here and there, a few keyboard lines and synths and god knows what else! Vocals definitely take a back seat here especially in the mix, that is not to say they're poor or unimportant, simply lower down the pecking order, the band seem to concentrate on creating an atmosphere or feeling rather than lyrical relativism as the band themselves have described them as 'basically gibberish.'
Track lengths can vary from under a minute to close to 7, but at no point does it sound filler or overdrawn, although it can be a bit too droney and repetive for some. Some of the songs border on mimimalism however and this could be considered the album's weakness. It definitely isn't for everyone and does require at least 2/3 listens to grasp. Check it out on YouTube!
'Only Shallow' is the highlight for me, but there are many good tracks to pick from here, 'When You Sleep' is another standout and one of the few other tracks that has any sort of 'conventional' song structure and even here I use the term loosely.
I would recommend this album to rock and metal fans that want to hear something very different, unique and is for all moods and occasions...often at the same time, but as always, try before you buy!
on 1 September 2017
Mu husband bought this for me as he thought it would be my kind of thing based on my other musical tastes (Cocteau Twins, Sigur Ros, Richard Barbieri) and he was bang on! Love it!
on 7 February 2017
Brilliant read for the ear.
on 25 July 2017
Wow !!! This is Loveless cleaner and clearer 😶..
on 22 November 2013
Sublime, landmark album. I chose the 1991 CD so that it would be as close as possible to the cassette tape I bought when the album came out.
Received in good condition
on 31 August 2015
Fuzzy guitar and vocals, no idea what they're on about but it sounds good.
on 21 April 2017
I thought I'd try out this group. This was supposed to be their strongest album. I didn't enjoy it very much. The time passed in a messy blur. Maybe I don't understand the genre?
on 14 February 2008
Shame this can only be given a five-star rating. I made the effort to discover this record only after seeing that it was number two on an excellent list of 100 cult classics, as compiled by the "Vulture" for The Times. Figured that it had to be worthy of inspection. Virtually nothing could have prepared me for this, the very strangest of listening experiences.

In its way, this is almost certainly the most BEAUTIFUL and MOVING record i have in my entire collection. It really is the most extraordinary soundscape that you're ever likely to meet. Something to play in a room, when you're absolutely all by yourself, with the lights turned off and the volume cranked all the way up. Nowhere more so than on "Soon", which is possibly the greatest closing track since "Tomorrow Never Knows" on "Revolver". Such a fabulous record that you simply won't know what to play immediately afterwards.
VINE VOICEon 3 February 2001
The cover has a picture of a purpley-pinky-bluey guitar, all fuzzy and warped and psychedelic. This is the only album I have ever heard that sounds EXACTLY how the cover looks. And it is brilliant. Turn it up and it's an astonishing visceral thrill, turn it down and it's a soothing, redemptive balm of sound. Gorgeous.
on 24 November 2004
A group of five friends saw My Bloody Valentine in Exeter in 1990 (1/2). I had listened to the group for years before, but had never seen them. I was completely blown away by their performance (and background video - very windows media player screensaver experience as I remember). Two of my friends left after being blown away by silverfish,the support band, but the rest of us experienced what was to become a spine chilling, once in a life time experience (and still is, thinking back to it) - The only problem with the concert was there were so few there!! I'm pleased to say I was there to see one of the last performances of group
Buy this album and listen while watching media player screensavers!!