Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 May 2007
If, like me, your emotional attachment to your favourite album is as strong as that to your true love, you'll understand me completely when I state just how pissed off I am that she keeps screwing other people behind my back. This album is a whore; she declares her undying love for me and I reciprocate, yet has no moral standards when it comes to being faithful. Hell, we've have some beautiful, stunning and eternally memorable moments together over the past few years; she taught me how to truly listen, even if I didn't understand her at first, and, despite her misleading name, she helped me bear my soul to another. But my blood boils when I think of the amount of men who have had similarly special experiences with her. There's a good chance that she is booming out of your speakers right now as you read this, touching you in the way that she promised was reserved purely for my own pleasure. I hate her. I HATE HER.

But I'll always come back. I'll dock her a star for all the pain she has caused me, although that's the worst I could possibly do. I love her, man. Sometimes you just have to go with your heart.
on 27 January 2005
As many music buffs know, Loveless is one of modern musics few seminal masterpieces. The record regularly enters all time top 100 album lists, and the albums perfectionist creator Kevin Shields is now thought of as a guitar god. The first time i listened to the album from beginning to end, i was speechless. It isn't like listening to your favourite album and feeling nostalgic from a time and a place. It is like a blanket of sensuality sweeping over you in waves, with the occassional shards of dissonant noise interrupting the experience. As i said in the title, it is like taking heroin. One of my friends said that the best experience he ever had was listening to this record while on drugs. The occasional melody flutters in and out of the songs and the vocals float around as if there is no gravity. This isn't really rock music, but an extension of it, using the template of the genre then turning it inside out. If you haven't got it, get it NOW!. If you have, stick it on, and be swept away.
on 4 March 2013
It's a mean trick this. Absolutely no difference apart from the unforgivable glitch. Shields can forget it. Silly sod. Fool me twice etc
on 6 December 2008
It's just the most perfectly if over produced album ever. It may have taken a long whle to create, but totally worth it. Saw them in the 'isn't anything' tour in 1989 and they were wonderful, yet they transcended everything this year - too hot for my aged ears!

This band is one you should listen to - but be careful with that ipod!
on 21 October 2007
When thinking about whether to give this either a 4 or 5, I eventually was persuaded purely because how original and influential it was but how it still managed to combine some excellent conventional rock riffs.

Not normally a rock fan but this is probably the best guitar based album I have listened too.
VINE VOICEon 4 October 2003
Kevin Shields is a genius. Anyone who doubts otherwise should get this and listen to 'Sometimes', one of the greatest songs ever written. and 9 of the other 10 tracks and far behind ('Touched' is filler,sadly). One of the best things i have heard.
on 27 June 2015
Brilliant. Try it.
on 27 April 2007
When I noticed that Loveless didn't had 5 stars, I just had to log in. I only want to raise the average, read the (amount of) other reviews to get a clue on how great this album is.
on 1 March 2007
Yeah it's noise but it's beautiful noise. The melodies are there sometimes you have to listen out for them. Why is it necessary to hear the lyrics? This is a sublime record that will stand the test of time for ever.
on 25 April 2003
...I have to say that it's not what I expected, or hoped for. It's obvious from the other reviews that this record has touched a chord with a lot of people, but I'm afraid I don't find it as amazing as a lot of other people obviously do.
Some of the songs are strong (although others now sound rather dated), and yes, noise fans (me included) have more to get their teeth into than on a lot of records (although where the reviewers of the 'noisiest / most sonically adventurous / least commercial album in the world... Ever! variety are coming from I don't know), but by and large, this sounds like what it is - a late eighties / early nineties shoegazy indie album. Taken on those terms, it's a great example of the form (maybe even the best example), and a genuinely really good record. Just take the hype with a pinch of salt.