on 19 December 2012
I love power monkey chargers - in fact this is the second one I have bought, however the main reason I bought my latest one was to charge my new ipod nano/iphone whilst on expeditions. Prior to departure I thought best to test it with the new apple lightning / micro USB adaptor, thank goodness I did as it doesn't work. I have also tried using apples normal cable with the female usb adaptor - also doesn't work. All of these items function fine when not connected together - so I conclude they are not compatible. /now I am despairing and to be honest pretty fed up with powertravller because they state on their website that it does work with the iPhone 5 when it blatantly doesn't.
on 5 August 2008
I bought this to charge my iPhone 3G after trying several other solar chargers. This was the only one that worked. I bought the Solio charger and had to take it back as it didn't work on the iPhone, but worked on the iPod and took ages charging. The Powermonkey worked on my iPhone and charged it as quickly as a mains charger. I am very impressed with this device and the attachements are up to date and fit most electrical devices (although not a Nintendo DS to my son's dismay).
I often go away where there's no electricity (camping, etc) and desperately needed a device to charge my phone. Thankfully, I've found one!
on 17 August 2012
Why spend this much when you can buy "slimline" solar chargers for much less? Well, I did that and my £8 slimline worked once and never again. So got this and so impressed by the build quality, the attention to detail, the sheer number of adapters and world plugs you get. Essentially this is a spare battery that can be charged via mains or Sun. When your mobile etc starts getting sad because its on amber power warning simply plug the charged up torpedo shaped thing in and hey presto it charges your gadget up. The torpedo shaped thing is the spare battery bit. It has an LCD to show charge level. You can't charge Monkey and your gadget at the same time, ie you cant use the Sun to power the solar panels to charge the Monkey to charge your gadget, because most gadgets will burn more power than the solar panel can give. You'd need a massive solar panel to do real-tme charging. This is a great compromise in that respect. Love the clam shell design-you've got to be quite unlucky to damage this cheeky monkey.
on 13 February 2010
Brilliant little product. I bought it because I use the GPS on my iphone for Geocaching and struggle with the power consumption, running worryingly low after 2 or 3 cachers. I estimate at least two full iphone charges per powermonkey charge. Having the mains adapter and all the plugs means I can recharge the powermonkey anywhere in the world. The solar panel appears pretty good, showing a charging light even in dull skies, but I've not had to rely on it yet. There is a comprehensive set of tips to suit most devices. Also, the aftercare from the Powermonkey people is brill, even if you didn't buy the original product from them. The answered my support queries by email and even sent me some spare tips! Having bought the powermonkey, I'm considering getting their larger powergorilla for laptops.
This is well-designed and easy to use, and is robust. I wanted it for places I've been to before where electricity was spasmodic or absent, yet other than 3 power cuts of a couple of hours each, when I did return I found that even remote places are getting their acts together...thus, I did not give the severe bashing to this unit that I expected, which would mainly have been to charge up cellphones and a 7" tablet and Kindle for reading, and provide some emergency lighting power.
You need to remember that solar power like this will provide only a few basic functions, but when you need them by George you REALLY need them, and I am extremely pleased to possess this well-made and solid backup unit. Steve Riches, Northampton, UK.
on 15 April 2015
I bought the power monkey as I was running in the marathon de sables.What could be better than 8 hours of continual uninterrupted sunshine at 50 degrees in the southern sahara desert to charge the solar panel.I was somewhat surprised to find I had more charge available from the static electricity in my hair than in the much proclaimed power monkey. Maybe I need to spend more time closer to the sun to get the thing to work.
Having paid over 60 pounds for the device I would have expected more than a 2 minute charge.
Only plus point was my ruck sack was a little lighter after I deposited the device in the bin!
on 22 October 2010
I bouught both the Power Monkey Explorer kit and the portable speakers for my iPod made by the same company. The Power Monkey kit comes in a neat handy carry case which easily accommodates all the necessary bits. It may seem like overkill to carry all the adapters supplied with the kit but I was reluctant to leave out the ones I didn't think I would use for fear of losing bits once separated. As it turned out friend travelling with us on a recent holiday in India were all able to charge their mobiles using adapters from my kit, which was very impressive and useful. The great thing of course is not needing an electricity supply to keep batteries topped up and to be able to play music directly from the solar charger. I also liked being able to charge up the battery pack during the day for use at night. An unexpected bonus for me was when I discovered that I could use the battery pack and an adapter from the Power Monkey kit kit to run my Tom Tom on a recent trip in the UK when my Tom Tom charger suddenly fell apart. A truly useful and versatile product, and environmentally friendly too!
on 15 May 2010
I purchased this for travelling, camping hostelling etc. So far I have mainly used it at home to recharge gameboys phones etc. Loads of ways of recharging, usb, solar and mains. I have bought some extra connectors form the power monkey site which are specific to my phone and games consuls. I am about to take this on holiday and am sure it will prove its worth in keeping phones charged. The only downside is I would like to buy the connector to charge in a car but can't find that on its own.

I would recommend this. We don't care about the pinkness of it and it means I keep it as mine and the men in the family won't use it!
on 31 October 2009
The product works well.

We have just used it on a 2 week cruse and were able to do away with 3 chargers for phones and Ipod touch.

There is more than enough charge in place to cover airport delays and it easily and quickly charged our devices in the cabin.

Next year we hope to charge using the solar panels when we go camping.
on 3 February 2013
This is an amazing item, all bits supplied to pretty much charge anything, i even use at home when lost chargers. Invaluable or travelling too! Highly recommend!