This is a really good tool when used for the RIGHT JOB i.e. for cutting precise fabric pieces such as patchwork. It has a very sharp cutting edge and will cut 4 layers of fabric at a time. If you try to use it for more layers, you will blunt the blade very quickly.
The downside of this is that while it will cut straight lines perfectly, it is not easy to manipulate around strong curves or more intricate dress designs. I would not recommend it for cutting out dressmaking patterns - stick to good quallity scissors! The blade does blunt fairly quickly so I would recommend buying a spare. The cutter comes with only its working blade. Had it come with a spare, I would have given it 5 stars.
22 comments| 141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 August 2012
I use this cutting wheel in my sewing workshop and it has reduced cutting time by half and sometimes more without moving the fabric. I've got a blade for paper and another blade for fabric. I can cut through up to 6 layers of lining fabric in one go. Up to 4 layers of cotton. I stick to one or two layers of silk as the fabric can move a little. It makes paper pattern cutting easier. The blades don't last very long for me - one blade has cut out 14 dresses and now cuts paper. Compared with the cost of time saved the blades are relatively cheap.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 9 June 2014
I am so impressed with this rotary cutter. I have never used one before but as I am having problems with my thumb I thought it might help. It came enclosed in plastic and card which I was reasonably easy to get into. I am surprised and delighted at how easy it was to use. I used it to cut out a dress and it took me only a fraction of the time it would have taken me with scissors and was kind on my thumb. The blade is very, very sharp and I was glad I had paid a little extra and got the safer version. I was concerned that I would find the grip uncomfortable and thought I might have to lock it in the cutting position but it was fine to use in the safer position so the blade was only engaged when the trigger was squeezed.
As I had never used a rotary cutter before I thought it might be difficult at first but it was very easy to use and I found it cut very cleanly as I was using a material that frayed very easily this was a bonus. I am so please with the cutter.
on 7 March 2013
Exactly met my requirements and have used it a lot already. Easy to use and less strain on my fingers than a pair of scissors
on 19 September 2015
Already had a cheap cutter which didn't cut properly so decided to spend a bit more and by a half decent one as it is very frustrating trying to cut material for patchwork with a blunt cutter. I read the reviews on this and it seemed just the thing. However, I think this is a cheap copy of an OLFA cutter. The plastic is very thin and disappointing. The blade worked really well- twice. After that it kept leaving little bits of material attached and finally, after only a dozen at most tries, it hardly cuts at all. Very disappointed. My local craft shop have offered to have a look at it next time I go and to try one of the genuine blades in it for me. They wondered if it was my cutting mat causing the problem but apparently not as I do have a high quality one. The only plus to this item is I did find the grip easier as I have arthritis in my hands. It seems my quilting is doomed as I just cannot get a decent rotary cutter that actually cuts!
on 12 July 2013
I really like this rotary cutter - it has that curved handle and squeeze operation for cutting. Easy replace blades and I believe if you take care of your hobby tools, they last a long time :-)
Bought this cutter in order to use with fabrics, yet I find myself using it for anything requiring precision cuts ..... most of all paper and cardboard. I do like to print my own Birthday, Christmas and other cards and this little tool makes life so much easier.

I have yet to come across a better rotary cutter!!

Ideally the cutter should be used on a "self healing" mat as the blade is very sharp, yet I have used this cutter on hard surfaces and the blade is still going strong!!

I really cannot recommend the Olfa Deluxe Rotary Cutter highly enough! Great buy!
on 20 July 2016
I inherited one of the other type of roller cutters which must be “locked open” before use and it scared me how easy it was to inadvertently touch the blade if the cutter was left open when on the work bench. Fortunately, my wife is a semi professional user of the product and will only use (and recommend) the Olfa – she told me to get one and I am very relieved I did.

The blade can easily be used on the left or right of the device (so can be quickly adapted for cutting on the “wrong” side of a guide ruler and or for south paws), can be used in safe mode (blade retracts when grip is released) and can have the blade locked in (child safety) or out.

It isn’t a light sabre – so don’t expect to cut everything without exerting some force on the scalpel sharp blade and has become a welcome addition to my workshop tool chest of sharp & pointy things.
on 19 April 2012
Made cutting strips for rag-rugs positively fun. Husband and son literally quarrelling over who got to do it when previously took serious bribery. Am impressed. Very very sharp.
on 14 May 2012
The product arrived quickly and is as described and expected. Great, fast service and good quality cutter which works very well