on 2 October 2008
When I was searching for a negative scanner, I was a little thrown by the negative comments for the previous veho scanner, the vfs001, but I needn't have worried. This was easy to install, albeit it that the little leaflet given with it was too small to read. Whilst I never owned the vfs001,the comments about pictures being too dark, seem not to be a problem with this unit. Be careful to follow the instructions to the letter, as the unit will calibrate as you direct, and if wrong, it will produce the wrong results. I set this originally to the best results (tiff), but found that 1800 resolution, on 24 bit colour, transferred in jpeg, produced very acceptable results, with file sizes arround 50kbites, unlike the 100Mbites for tiff.This is well worth the money.
0Comment| 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 November 2009
Having read the very mixed reviews for this product I decided to take a risk - a big mistake. It was very easy to set up but the quality of the results are awful. The images produced from some very sharp slides looked as if tehy had been taken with an early camera phone. I have about 1,000 slides that I'd like to scan - but not with this.

Have now returned to Amazon for a refund whilst I think what to do next.

nb. Some people seem delighted with this scanner, whilst others like me think it's a heap of junk. I do wonder if there's a quality control issue here, with some examples producing acceptable results.
on 10 October 2008
I've bought this scanner and had a good play about with the different option. It was a little confusing at first as the scanner appears to save the picture as a negative. When you finally save the scan, it does all the background work. The guide was vague about how it was going to work.

The only critisism I can have is that it can't cope with APS films. The scan trays only work for 35mm and Slides. The APS films (which were popular before digital became cheap enough) are a slightly slimmer film.

I did manage a work-around which involved a fiddly system, but the quality of the scans was average to poor. I've written off to the manufacturers in the hope they may have a solution!

Overrall, it's well worth buying and saves a fortune over asking a company to fix them for you.
on 9 October 2008
Bought this quite a while ago, but only just got round to reviewing it. Only had 100 or so slides to scan but thought they would go on a CD and make a good present for my brother. Pretty easy to install, no problems there, scanning was easy, had to fiddle around with the settings to get the best results for my slides and then it was a doddle. All saved as JPEG files and burned to a CD, my brother loved it.

I assume the 5GB 'me' account must be a limited offer as I have recieved my pen drive and account already.
on 20 October 2009
Considering the mixed reviews I was very doubtful about buying this. On unpacking, it looked better quality than I'd expected ... but the hardware is seldom the problem. As anticipated, the software didn't run first time; it repeatedly "encountered a problem" and had to close down rendering the whole thing useless. After many cycles of restoring my computer and trying again, I did some googling I thought it worth removing the antivirus software and giving it one more try. It worked! It even continued working when I re-installed the antivirus stuff.

The results are considerably better than expected - rather better than those from a well known High Street chemist. I've only scanned slides (mostly dating from 1960s) and it obviously can't improve the originals, some of which are pretty poor in a whole range of different ways. These are family photos - nowhere near professional photography. I would certainly recommend this to anyone with time and patience to learn the software and experiment with the settings.
on 24 October 2008
Simple to use, with good associated handling and editing software. Good choice of scanning quality, producing JPEG files up to 1Mb. Takes plastic AGFA slides
VINE VOICEon 21 March 2010
I'm rather pleased and somewhat surprised at just how good this little Veho is.More especially after some of the less than enthusiastic reviews offered below.
It's just so easy to use after software installation. Just click on the 'Photo impression icon; load the slide or neg carrier into the Veho.The image shows up within the Photo impression gallery; select and transfer. The image then is transferred to a place of your choosing. For me its the desktop from where I edit it in Picasa although of course you could use any photo editing suite.
I've found the transferred images really attractive. The colours are rich and deep with a classic feel. The first neg I scanned tonight was equally impressive. I've used a lot of these scans on an outdoor activity blog and they hold up really well. I'm only sorry I haven't got thousands of slides to transfer rather than the hundreds I've got as I've enjoyed seeing these old images in a new format which was inconceivable when they were first taken.
Excellent value for money!
on 29 November 2009
Wasn't expecting much from this scanner having read the reviews and being a believer of "you get what you pay for", but the scanned images I was getting when using slides were very very bad.

Even messing about with the scan settings in the supplied software gave some improvements in image quality but the biggest issue for me was the over exposure (I think that's what it's called) which made the white colour elements in the image 'glow' and made me feel like I was looking at the slide whilst holding it up to the sun!

On the plus side it did scan the slides very quickly.

If this was sold for £20 then fair enough, but I would not recommend buying this product.
on 30 January 2010
Having read previous reviews I had mixed feelings over whether to purchase. However 1 review caught my eye. Someone mentioned that it overexposes. I have some old slides which previously I have been unable to scan due to them being very underexposed. I thought if this scanner overexposes, it may just do the trick, so I took a chance.

I can confirm it works well with Windows 7 using the supplied Vista driver and the supplied 'Imaging software' - Arcsoft PhotoImpression 6 also worked with Windows 7. It's not a premium piece of kit, but in my opinion is well worth the money. You need USB2 and it gets its power from USB, so no additional power supplies to have to fiddle with. If you're careful to centre the slides it's fine. If not you may get a line / gap at one end of the scan, but when scanned before saving the image it is possible to move the slide holder 'live' so to speak and ensure your slide is correctly positioned. I selected 'Highest Quality' and 'Slide' and left the rest at default and all my slides miraculously came to life. You can adjust the brightness higher or lower after the scan and incredibly, even though the scan was very bright, some of the very dark slides needed brightening further still. I have to say I was amazed. Interestingly, even though the slides were very dark the detail was in the photo and when correctly brightened it was all there to see. Of note if you find with more 'normal' slides that the results are too overexposed there is a fix you can download from Veho's website, along with an update to Arcsoft PhotoImpression 6, personally I have not felt the need.

I have now transferred these images to a CD and have been able to view them on my TV / DVD player, for the first time ever.

For me it has to be a 5* I bought it for a specific purpose and it came up trumps. I cannot see a downside.
on 27 November 2011
The previous reviews had me a bit worried whether I was wasting money on this or not but on balance I thought those who came in with a negative review had been unlucky or perhaps didn't want the chore of loading the slide tray 3 at a time which if you have a massive amount of slides might be a bit tedious but to be honest I've had a trip down memory lane as the slides have been in my loft for 25-40 yrs.
Setting up is straight forward. 5 minutes had me up and running. The software is on a disk and includes some image processing which is a bonus.
I don't know what the computerised slides would look like (with regards to resolution) projected up onto a 4 foot screen as we did for the original slides 'in the day'. But as I will be viewing and showing them off on a laptop and/or iPad I will be well satisfied with the resolution I've achieved here. I used the max dpi.setting of 3600.
Some reviewers were upset because they felt the scanner 'over or under exposed' the copy and this is as a consequence of the automatic exposure control. The point of me reviewing this was to say that for 50% of your pictures the automatic exposure of the scanner does just fine but where you have a darker or brighter slide image it will pump up/down the intensity of the back light to the slide in order to get to what 'it' thinks is and average lit photo - now if you had intended the shot to be dark e.g. for mood you would end up with a copy which is too bright. Fear not - you can overcome this by tricking the slide copier by letting it preview (for exposer) a solid bit of the slide carrier which is black then sliding your source slide into place and pressing the capture button not at the final level the auto exposure comes to but at one of the several stages of brightness it flicks through to get there. This sounds more complicated than actually doing it and you will find you get the hang of it very quickly. I have actually ended up with a few improvements over the original slides. The opposite trick is to let the copier preview 'fresh air'(so the sensor is getting only light with no interviening slide - then slide in the tray and capture one of the levels of light whilst the automatic adjuster is flicking through it's levels of intensity- it will let you do this. It's easier done than described!