Customer reviews

Death Of The Revolution
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 August 2008
Quantic and his many delicious updates of the Funk idiom has made an eager fan of me a long time ago. Here he continues, as in his recent stunning "Tropidelico" offering, to explore what colombian influences he is being infused by whilst living there.

This time however there is no marked funk reworking, just a very chilled, very laid-back, Latin Reggae intrumentals affair which at first can strike as a good musical-background-easy-listening-coffee-table type of album.

But of course there is more to it than that, and it boasts fine musicianship, particularly in the last few tracks where the piano parts are a real listening pleasure. The two last tracks faultlessly conjure images of a sweaty mid day lazy Cartagena bar. Whilst this probably won't rate as his best ever album, it is surprisingly addictive, very consistent from beginning to end (that increasingly rarer breed of an album where you never need to skip one or more tracks you do no like), and a warmly welcome addition to anyone familiar to the delights and sheer variety of modern Colombian music (Sidestepper, Pernett, Batata, San Palenque, Mojarra Electrica, etc) and the older school (Discos Fuentes!).

As a matter of fact it is the slight Reggae tinge of the first few tracks which are a bit of a let down, and caused the 3 star rating to this review. As a long term Reggae fan, I always welcome anyone trying to mix it with other influences, but am not yet convinced this particular Cd was too successful at doing it. I hope though Mr Holland will continue to explore this avenue, and am convinced that if he does his next album will be way more exciting than this one.

In the meantime he probably did this on a simple, sweaty, relaxed, stretch of time in Cali, smoking a lot of colombian gold and enjoying himself with his friends, and thanks Pachamama for that, that simple pleasure clearly shows here.
on 9 September 2008
I have been a fan of Will Holland for some time in all his guises. I would say that some of his recent releases have not grabbed my attention as some of the older stuff did. I was thinking he may have spread himself too thin. However this album has enjoyed heavy rotation since I bought it. A summer album for the summer that never was!

A great mix of styles, latin, funk, dub. There are some real dub standards mixed in here. I would not say it's that much reggae inspired, much more of a dub style in the 70's sense.

Give it a fair try it may just help your digestive tract...
on 30 July 2008
I bought this on a bit of a whim earlier. I have listened to most of Will Hollands work and to be honest I thought it would be difficult to beat the last Quantic Soul Orchestra collaboration - Tropidelico.

It appears to have a slow start, although I think thats just me slowing down and relaxing to the album, it comes into its own around the fourth track, The first version on the album of Cuidad del swing - which is certainly a place i'd like to visit. This starts a series of outstanding and mellow tunes, culminating in Juanita Bonita, which I had to repeat several times.

He has successfully made an album which can while the summer evenings away, mixing a reggae feal with strong latin roots. I certainly will be listening to this album when I'm travelling in a far distant land later in the year. Thanks to Will Holland and the other musicians on this album for making my day!
on 14 December 2011
I got this album to paint to as I like a tune that isn't too emotionally charging. This is great background music for that job.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse