Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£12.98+ £1.26 shipping

on 23 July 2008
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the first album released by Get Well Soon, showcasing a brilliant collection of songs and a very thought provoking sound and lyrics.
The album starts of somewhat reminiscent of Sigur Ros, the prelude building with gentle sounds and the constant words of "Rest now, weary heads you will get well soon." This leads us into the album proper and a fantastic showcase of what Get Well Soon can do.

The album covers a wide range of instruments and sounds, but always keeping a signature sound and style in evidence throughout all the various changes, including in various songs horns, strings, some folk influenced accordian and even signs of electronica creeping in before the songs take full flight. This to me lets the album work together brilliantly as a whole, but still differentiating the songs and not just continually repeating the same recipe time after time.

To try and think of any comparisons in other bands I would be looking to bands like Sigur Ros in a lot of the background soundscapes, with swirling sounds fading in and out and merging with a more traditional instrumentation and song structure. So really songs completely different in makeup to Sigur Ros but with a definite influence in the background.

I am finding it hard to put down what I think about this album in words, perhaps to say it is a brilliantly relaxing album to just sit back and listen to after a long day may suit? An album I have been playing a lot personally, and will be listening to for a long time yet.
on 23 July 2008
There's nothing in this album that strikes the listener as original and new, and yet on 1st, 2nd and 3rd listens it sounds refreshingly different to much of what is being served up right now. I guess Mercury Rev is the nearest point of influence and one reviewer used the description 'chamber pop' which sounds about right. Whatever, there is no duff track, the melodies wash over you, and it's my favourite album of summer 2008.
VINE VOICEon 26 June 2008
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
By any accepted definition this debut album from 25 year old German, Konstantin Gropper, is not folk music. In fact, I find it impossible to categorise the album at all. But think Grandaddy and Calexico working together with classical influences and the occasional nod to Brian Wilson and your halfway to understanding the musical style. Understanding the lyrics might be a little more challenging.

(Gropper calls his band Get Well Soon: perhaps not the catchiest name on the block and probably not one to persist with.)

The sleeve contains a guarantee by the artiste: "I tried my very best to make this music loveable." With its interesting combination of percussion, strings and brass he may have just done that as well as inventing a new musical sub genre.

There is undeniably a subtle beauty to some of the tracks; check "Prelude", "Witches, Witches, Rest Now In The Fire" and "If This Hat Is Missing I've Gone Hunting." But ultimately, there isn't enough of this to sustain the album's attraction over fourteen tracks and in excess of an hours playing time.

But a new musical sub genre? Maybe!
on 13 July 2008
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Sometimes, you stumble across an album by an unknown band, and take a gamble and buy it without even listening to it first. Most of the time, you very soon discover why you'd never heard of said band, and the CD is banished to the bottom of your collection never to see the light of day ever again.

But sometimes, just sometimes, your gamble pays off, and you find yourself totally blown away with what you've just heard, and at the same time kicking yourself that you've taken so long to discover them! Get Well Soon fall into the latter category.

The best way I can sum up the band is, take one teaspoon of Aqualung, add half a pint of Radiohead, and a pinch of Interpol, mix it all together, and you have Get Well Soon.

The whole album is just so atmospheric, I can't really pick out my favourite track, but their cover of Born Slippy is very, very good (and a very brave move to try and pull off, but they succeed!)

If you've never heard of them, I think you'll be pleasently surprised. I was, and discoveries like this don't come along every day.....
on 15 July 2008
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a luscious and eclectic collection of music. It says `folk' on the tin, but this is a richer, deeper blend of serious popular music, a schizophrenic sound that's somewhere on a continuum between Lou Reed and The Divine comedy, sometimes even a gutsier Belle and Sebastian.

Some tracks I liked were `people magazine front cover' which begins sounding like `Perfect Day' and is suddenly stalked by ghost of Toni Basil's `Mickey' ; `help to prevent forest fires' which is a delicate, almost choral sound initially, and expands into towering, vertiginous electronics; and a percussively rich remix of `Born Slippy'; I also enjoyed the
delicate vocals and mournful, elegant and sound of `if this hat is missing I have gone hunting' . This is highly wrought music that demands attention.

I know it's shallow, but I want to say what a gem the CD design was - lush and as busy as a Victorian front parlour.
on 3 March 2011
Get Well Soon - Rest Now, Weary Head! You Will Get Well Soon (Nude)
A wonderfully ambitious debut from Konstantin Gropper, a 25 year old Berliner with probably more sounds in his head than most mere mortals can fathom. Pop, electronica, folk, Mariachi bands and after-dark alternative rock become one splendid whole on Rest Now..., a rollercoaster ride of righteous moods and sonic adventure.

And it's not as if he doesn't have a way with words. "Prelude", the title track in all but name, uses the album title like a pop chant, while layers of instruments build the tension. "You/Aurora/You/Seaside" could be the Tijuana Brass with Anthony Reynolds' Jack and "If This Hat Is Missing I Have Gone Hunting" is pop-noir over a Stooges riff and transsexual backing vocalists, full of best intentions, but ultimately falling over themselves... like Kid Creole's Coconuts with 5 o'clock shadows. Brilliant. 9/10.
on 30 June 2008
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had no idea what to expect when I ordered this CD from Vine. I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised. This is very offbeat stuff, hard really for me to categorize, but I found myself really getting into the spirit of it all. I got it for free, but this is one well worth paying for.
VINE VOICEon 3 July 2008
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If the worst thing that you could say of this epic debut by Konstantin Gropper [Get Well Soon] is that it sounds like so many other leftfield artsists, it's not really a problem. The artists in question you see are bands like Arcade Fire, Mercury Rev and Radiohead, and songwriters like Rufus Wainwright and Sufjan Stevens. It's weird and off kilter stuff. It doesn't give up it's secrets lightly. In places it's a strage industrial dirge that eventually with repeated listening gives way to a dark sense of humour and a pallet of beautiful and rich melodies. Tick, Tack! goes my automatic heart is a wonderful example. Drooled vocals deliver a witty lyric backed by gently pinging percussion. There's masive scale to the arrangements with strings, horns, and all sorts of unusual instruments and sounds. There's even a wonderfully downtempo version of Born Slippy which builds and build through it's course without even a hint of a techno beat. It's the only cover on an album full of originals that took three years in the making. Time well spent i'd say.
on 25 July 2008
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First a confession ... I chose this CD purely because I liked the cover design, and without the first idea of how it would sound, though I guessed it would probably be something along the lines of folk. I was completely wrong.

With that in mind, at first listening I found this slow and depressing. However, on further listening and dropping my ideas about how the music should sound, it grew on me quickly, and my main impressions currently stand as "chilled", "mellow" and even "relaxing".

The lyrics (and song titles) often show a dry sarcasm, and some (such as "Tick tack goes my automatic heart") are actually uplifting and hopeful (in spite of the sound of the music). The songs are generally more spoken than sung (which works fine for this type of music), and the instrumentals have a very European (and particularly what I would expect from German or French) feel to them.
VINE VOICEon 28 June 2008
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I see why everybody is having such trouble with this album. It is hard to categorise but only since it belongs so precisely in that well know modern indie pop category "hard to categorise". Nope not really Folk though anything a bit mopey with grindy guitars is finding itself plonked in the "Psych folk" category for no particular reason beyond fashion.

It is definitely mopey and anguished. Is a lot Radiohead and a bit "everything including several different makes of kitchen sink" Brian Wilsonesque so it has a lot I like - however...

The bottom line is there are no really great songs here only moderately ok ones. If you cant get enough of that anguished Thom Yorke voice cracking thing then this is perfectly fine and definitely not a bad album but, for me anyway, not essential.