Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now New Album - Drake Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 June 2008
Having previously mislaid my copies of Chronicles 1 & 2, spotted this today and thought it would be an ideal replacement.

On the plus side, the tracks have been remastered since the above compilations were released and they have never sounded better,
taking 18 of the 20 tracks from Volume 1 (ignoring "Commotion" and "Someday Never Knows"), and 6 of the best from Volume 2.

Great to have this huge 24 track selection on one disc, but in order to squeeze them all on, the 11 minute guitar workout on "I Heard It Through The Grapevine"
has been sacrificed, and replaced instead with a 4 minute edit. (Still have the original on mp3 anyway!)

I may have a dodgy pressing but having already exchanged it twice, beware there is a huge hiss at the end of "The Midnight Special" (4m 12s on Track 23 to be exact),
which almost deafened me the first time when played through headphones! Five Stars for the music itself though, the tracks seem to pick themselves so if you like CCR,
you'll already know what you're getting. The sound is great, but 1 star for what I can only hope is a dodgy pressing which hopefully will rectified.
22 Comments| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 December 2008
I bought this album for a general overview of CCR, having heard and loved The Midnight Special, Bad Moon Rising, Proud Mary and a few other tracks. I do not have a comprehensive enough knowledge of CCR to comment on whether or not there are any glaring omissions from this album, but I will say that I loved every track and at around £6 for 24 tracks, it's certainly great value for money.

Unlike the previous reviewer, I have had no problems with playing this CD. This is a great introduction to, and overview of, CCR and their music. The covers of I Put A Spell On You and I Heard It Through The Grapevine make it even more interesting to listen to. Thoroughly enjoyable.
on 4 April 2013
Having been born in the late 80's I have no first hand experience of this band. The first song I heard by them was 'Fortunate Son' thanks to the film Forrest Gump. I thought wow now that is the sort of voice and rock n roll urgency I like. So I decided to explore the band further and this seemed a sensible place to start. First off I enjoy their unique sound and songwriting, no one else really sounds like CCR. Secondly, I loved every song on the album, they are catchy tunes that grow on you and after a few spins you seem to know all the words like you've always been a fan. I would recommend this to fans of late 60s and early 70s Americana and Rock. 5 Stars as I can't stop listening to this band!
on 15 March 2009
It's rare that you get 24 tracks on one CD and never press 'skip' once!

This compilation of Classic Credence is absolute class. Any fans of Swamp Rock will eat this up!

x
11 Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 July 2011
After hearing Creedence clearwater revival on radio 2 at various times, I thought I would take the plunge and purchase this best of.
You get the ubiquitous Bad moon rising along with their other well known tracks, Proud Mary, Have you ever seen the rain and Up around the bend. But it was the lesser known stuff (well for me at least) that I was interested to hear.
I must say that I was not disappointed, if you like the better known tracks you will like the rest of this cd.
Some people may take me to task for saying this, but I find the songs to be in a similar style to Lynrd Skynrd, so if you like them, you will like this and vice versa.
Buy this and enjoy a band who should have lasted longer than they did.
on 2 March 2014
John Fogerty, Creedence Clearwater = Genius! I have always loved this band and this album takes me back to my youth! My partner was not familiar with this bands canon of work but last year in the Lake District this album was permanently being played in the car and she loves the album almost as much as I do! Every great song they did is on this album and their rendition of Marvin Gaye's I Heard It Through the Grapevine is a work of pure genius. One of the most distinctive voices in music at his very very best!
on 21 January 2013
Purchased this as, apart from some compilation content, I didn't pocess any CCR.
Not one bad track - on top of their own hits, others like 'Heard it through grape vine' ans 'Suzy Q' are well, well worth a listen, not once but many times.

You will not be disappointed.
on 7 November 2012
I love this CD perfect for those who like there rock a bit classic and absolutely timeless.I love a wide range of music and have just got to say why i have put this album off buying this album dont know??..24 tracks enough choice for everyone and for £5 well good deal amazon and i got mine in very good time by 12.30 pm.So i could waist my time listening on my new today sony xe800 sa-cd player,for my budget but wicked sony av system and nearly all wharfedale 7.1 speaker set up on a restricted budget all thanks to amazon..Love it.. check track listings and preview if you are not sure.??
any questions happy to try and answer.
on 20 August 2011
yet another classic album that has stood the test of time , i constantly play this in my car on the way to work ,
i will now collec more of this great band
on 21 June 2009
It's rare to find an album where I love all the tracks. This album is brilliant.
I was always playing these guys and Supertramp throughout my teens, and know I now why. Just great music.

Amazon's download option is fantastic. It's faster to download than iTunes and £3 cheaper. Nice one Amazon!!