on 10 September 2016
My old Philips plasma TV has Scart interface connections and does not come with a HDMI port. I bought a Android box which comes with HDMI Port but no Scart connection. However the Android box does have RCA connection, aka phono connectors.

I connected the adaptor to the back of my TV, and hey presto, I now have an interface that allows the two devices two 'speak' to each other.

On the adaptor, at the flick of a switch (on/off button) the signal becomes bi-directional. The contacts are gold plated which help to optimise signal transmission.

What do the different colours mean, I hear you ask? The phono cables are often colour coded. Yellow for composite video, red for the right audio channel, and white for the left channel, for stereo audio. I have other phono cables that have different colours, so this is nothing to worry about.

You also have the option to transmit the video signal via S-Video connector. This type of connection offers enhanced picture-quality on older television sets and home theater equipment.

If you're wondering what RCA stand for: Radio Corporation of America. What, I hear you say, exactly!
on 22 July 2016
I bought this product because I own a capture card that takes S-Video and a lot of old games consoles that only output in European video standards like RGB scart. I wanted an adaptor that would let me connect my RGB Scart output my Gamecube and connect it to the S-Video input on the capture card. The result only half works, the connecting this adapter between the two cables allows me to capture a fill colour, full resolution picture from the Scart output which is useful for devices that only have Scart, however, the picture appears to be the same as composite. Colours come through a bit better than the standard Composite cable from the Gamecube did, but there is a LOT of distortion.

I suspect what is happening is that the adapter does not actually convert anything directly to S-Video, but converts to Composite, for the composite out, and then converts that again to S-Video hence none of the benefits of the better RGB output carry across. If you want this adapter simple to convert composite to scart, or vice versa, it's probably fine, but if you want it for the S-Video, you'll probably have the same luck if you just hook up the composite cables.
on 3 January 2018
this has worked extremely well since i got the n64 out the loft last year. impressed with the quality. thanks
on 11 May 2017
Excellent adapter for use, when your (Samsung) flatscreen TV has no audio out option, to play sound from a secondary (i.e. better) speaker/stereo system. Now, the sound is massively improved via my stereo "Aux IN" when used with a twin RCA "Male to male" lead.
on 17 June 2013
We have a shiny new 32" LED/LCD TV to replace the vasty, ancient 32" box that took two strong men to move it. Hey, that TV only cost £35, and went well for over 10 years, so it owes us nothing!
Trouble is, there is a shortage of sound outputs on the new TV - HDMI, yes, but extracting the sound from that is less than easy, especially when both sockets are already in use. Fortunately there's a SCART on this TV, and in goes the adaptor, on goes a stereo Phono lead, into the AV Sound input on the 500W sound box, and it comes out in 5.1 surround sound.
How easy was that?
It's well made, but not the top of the range. The case is plastic, but the connectors are OK, and are gold flashed.
At under £3 including postage - Recommended!
on 15 July 2012
I have a TV that has no outputs for audio components to allow connection to a home cinema system. This device allows you to switch the scart connector to output, connect component audio cords and obtain TV sound through Home Cinema speakers. Very handy in solving a problem I have had for many months.
on 27 July 2012
I needed a way to connect a Freeview box with only SCART output to my new AV Receiver (AVR) which did not support SCART, but did support HDMI and component connections. I tried a SCART to HDMI convertor box which cost about £50, but it was hopeless, running very hot, and with lots of signal dropouts, which made watching TV impossible. Saw this, and hoped it would do a better job, which it does. Just make sure you have the input/output mode set correctly - output in my case - and it just worked. I get a better picture by plugging the video lead (the yellow one) directly into the TV, rather than into the AVR. Excellent value for money.
on 25 September 2011
This gizmo is excellent and so simple to use if you want to transfer old analogue recordings to DVD. Point to remember is that to use S-VHS, your device has to capable of outputting a S-VHS signal, otherwise you just end up with a B&W picture. Also, something else that I've noticed is that the bottom edge of pictures show signs of tearing. Ive change the cables, used a different video player and changed my capture cards and still the problem is there. The only common denominator is the adapter but I can live with that.

Update:

I think the tearing at the bottom of the screen is due to the connections between the scart & RCA plugs. I reseated it and cleaned the RCA connections with alcohol and the tearing has almost gone. There's just a single line of distortion at the bottom of the screen, which I can live with. Oh and one other thing not mentioned is that the gold is only on the RCA plugs, not the scart pins. Which sort of defeats the object but you get what you pay for and it works.
on 6 May 2014
Since my TiVo box doesn't have any audio output sockets on the back I had to use this device to get access to the audio signals.

It does the job very well.

By setting the switch to output, I was able to attach an audio lead to the stereo outputs on the adapter and plug this into the aux input on my HiFi. This allows me to listen to radio using the TiVo (Virgin Media channels above 900) with my HiFi without powering up the TV and the sound quality (as far as my non-audiophile ears could tell) is just fine.
It seems pretty well-made generally, so I have no reason to believe it wouldn't do just as good a job in all the various other configurations you can use it.
on 31 December 2012
Received this item very promptly through the post - and it was a £2.50 well spent. The product itself seems well-built, with a good weight to it. I needed to use it to input the PS2 via S-Video cable to the S-Video enabled Scart socket of my TV, and this product did the trick. Other reviews state that using the S-Video input often gives a black-and-white picture - this is likely due to the scart socket on the TV or on a scart switcher not being S-Video enabled, so check that out before buying. It gives me the same quality signal as when I ran the cable straight to the S-Video socket on the front (which is now used by something else) - no interference or loss in quality as far as I can see.

I will say though that the item I received is not identical to the one pictured. Mine has a protruding S-Video socket like the other three, rather than the "in-built" (can't think of a better expression) one in the photo. This is not a problem at all but I figure it's worth noting so buyers know to which product I'm actually referring.