on 11 January 2012
I have a slim tower pc which I use as media entertainment system in the living room and this was the perfect kit to replace my single channel USB TV turner. I can now view one channel and record another. The picture quality is good and did not have any problems with reception like I used to with my previous turner.
I did not install the application that came with it since I use Windows Media Center running on Windows Vista 32bit, I only had to install the Vista drivers. You may have to reconfigure Media Centre so it recognises that there are two turners available, it only takes minutes but it needs to go through the channels scan and media guide set up.
I didn't manage to get the remote to work even after installing the drivers for it, but that did not bother me too much since I already had a native WMCE remote.
I like the fact that they have included the slim tower card bracket support, so was able to fit in my slim tower neatly.
Only scored 4 stars because the remote control did not work, otherwise this product really deserves 5 stars.
Good value for money and does exactly what is says on the tin!
on 19 May 2011
I bought this card to replace a single tuner card in my Vista Windows Media Center box. Unplugged the old card, plugged this in and installed the drivers and a couple of minutes later and I was back up and running with dual tuners.

I've not noticed any signal strength or quality differences from my old AverMedia hybrid card and would recommend this to someone looking for a cheap dual tuner solution.
on 2 May 2009
I spent ages looking for a dual DVB-T TV-Tuner for a Media Centre I was building. There were surprisingly few to choose from and most of them (according to the reviews) seemed to work with either Vista or XP MCE, but not both. As I didn't know which OS I was going to go for at the time, this was a problem.

Then I found this card which appeared to do what I wanted, said it worked with both Vista and XP and was very cheap. Surely there must be a catch!

Well, there isn't. It does everything it should do. The picture quality is fantastic. The TV software on the disk works, but most people will probably (and quite wisely) choose to use the Windows Media Centre interface anyway.

In summary, brilliant product at a brilliant price.
11 Comment| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 August 2010
I bought two of these for my new HTPC, to use with Windows Media center, and was initially very pleased. Then I noticed I was missing a few channels, including C4, ITV, and Five. It turns out, those channels have poor signal in my area, but my freeview TV and the settop box I was using before getting these picked up those channels fine.

I bought a Hauppauge Nova-T 500 as replacement, and it picked up the missing channels instantly.

So, my advice: if you are in an area with good signal strength, these are well worth getting - at less than half the price of most of the competitors. But if reception is bad, you'll regret it and need to spend a bit more to get a better card.
on 15 September 2009
I had to build a new media centre PC and my old TV card was a Terratec PCI Express x1 and there wasn't a spare slot for it in the new box. So bought this card at a third of the price. While the picture isn't as sharp as the old card it is much more reliable with the software I am using - mediaportal.

An absolute bargain - highly recommended.
on 17 January 2011
GOT IN 5 DAYS.TYRED IT WORK OK WHERE I STAY JUST GOT 12 CHANNLES.IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A CHEEP TV TUNER BUY THIS ONE IT DOSE WORK WITH WINDOWS 7.
on 7 March 2010
I've been looking for a TV Tuner for my PC for a few days and stumbled across this one. Although I considered going for the more mainstream and expensive tuners, I went with this one because the specs and reviews seemed good enough for what I was looking for. The product does everything I wished from it perfectly well.

Contents of the box:
TV tuner card
Remote control (AAA batteries not included)
Remote control reciever (with sticky pad included so you can put it on the wall or on your desk. Wire length is about 1.2m)
Portable desktop antennae
-There's also some sort of discreet pci slot casing, for those who want the back of their computer to look discreet? I'm not so sure about this one haha.

This is a dual DVB-T TV card so that means you can watch one channel whilst recording another, it's the same as having two single DVB-T TV cards. The drivers installed quickly and easily onto my windows 7. The software that comes with it is not so good, however. Luckily, there's plenty of free software out there that can be used, instead. I've gone for the Windows Media Centre that was already installed on my PC, and it works great.

Using the roof atennae ariel, the picture I recieve is superb. All of the available channels were found and installed and work perfectly. The only downside to the TV card is that there's only two available slots - one for the ariel and the other for the remote control reciever. I cannot plug my games console into this TV card, but that would have been a bonus only.

In summary, this product should meet the needs of at least 90% of people looking for a TV tuner card, looking to recieve TV through their PC onto either a monitor or TV (if you have it set up). Downsides to this card are the inability to play a games console on it, and the poor software that is included (though I can imagine that's the same for most TV tuner cards).
on 12 January 2011
[Edit]
My computer has not crashed in 3 months since I installed the Windows 7 64 bit driver for the TV card. In the 3 months preceding my PC had crashed over 50 times. As everything now seems to be stable I have upgraded my original 3* review to a 5* review. See my original review, below.
[end of edit]

I bought this card from Amazon about a year ago to work in a Media Centre PC that I was building from scratch.

In that time I have had frequent Blue Screen Of Deaths that I couldn't pinpoint the cause of using diagnostic tools.

Sometimes the system would run for a couple of weeks then crash. Sometimes it would crash multiple times a day for days on end.

For a Media Centre PC placed under the TV in the living room this was beyond frustrating - it actually made me angry. The FAF (Family Acceptance Factor) of the system was rock bottom and I was getting it in the neck from wife and son whenever the Media Centre crashed while they were watching something on it.

I have spent many, many hours trying to fix the problem and finally, just after Xmas, I believe I have hit upon a solution.

The problem was that the drivers that shipped with the card are pre-Windows 7 and so are unreliable on that operating system.

I had tried to find updated drivers some time ago but had no luck. This time, after some searching on forums, I managed to find a 64 bit Windows 7 driver for the card and it has been rock solid since then. It's still fingers crossed time because in the past the system has run for up to 2 weeks without crashing but I am hopeful.

So to the rating. With the right Windows 7 64 bit driver this would seem to be an excellent choice. Without it, it's useless on Win7 64 bit.

On the basis that the problem seems to be resolved I have given 3 stars. If it stays stable then the star rating will be raised.

[Edit: I just looked on the manufacturers website and it seems that Win7 64 bit drivers are now shipped with the product.]
on 28 October 2009
This Dual Tuner card works fine with Windows 7 Media Centre, however you need to select the Vista driver manually to get things going. Apart from that, very easy install. Don't bother installing all the software on the CD that comes with the card - just the Vista drivers.

The picture on the packaging is a little misleading until you see it close up. The packaging shows the single tuner card AND the dual tuner card. The dual tuner card is a single card which allows you to watch/record two TV channels at the same time. No biggie, but I half expected to receive two cards - glad that wasn't the case.
on 15 December 2010
I needed a dual tuner for my media centre, as I only had one available PCI slot. I bought this product on the basis of the rave reviews on Amazon, and I have not been disappointed. The picture quality is great for me on my SD TV, better than the tired old card it replaced and on a par with my newish digibox. The card itself is rather sleek, and should fit any system, especially with the two front pieces.

Linux users do need to be aware that they have to install the proprietary driver. If you don't, the card appears as a USB port when you run lspci! That did confuse me at first.

Once I worked that out, installation was very simple on my Ubuntu 9.10 box: I simply went to Restricted Drivers (I think that's what it's called), and it detected the card and installed straight away. It then appeared on the MythTV backend and I set the card up very easily in there. When I changed the OS to Mythbuntu 10.10 it was just as simple. I think it might even have prompted me to install the driver.

This may be a budget-price card, but it certainly does the job very nicely indeed.