Colour: White|Change

on 28 March 2013
When regularly visiting Spain my wife uses the bottled beans and peas in her cooking. As pensioners we frequently find removing the lids of these jars impossible without subjecting them to trial by hot water. We decided a Brabantia universal opener was the answer. We purchased one and packed it in our hand luggage. Unfortunately the security at Bristol airport decided that a pensioner could easily use the "sharp bits" on this kitchen utensil to overwhelm the cabin staff and hijack the plane. As a result it was confiscated. We have now purchased another one, taken it to Spain in stowed luggage and used it successfully in attacking jars of beans. Highly recommended for opening jars but failed as a secret weapon.
1212 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 October 2013
just what I wanted, end opener just right for nail polish and opening things like bleach when you have to press both side in and a small child in not available to open it for you.
delivery was fast
on 5 September 2015
I have to hold my hands up and say I bought this opener by mistake, and have come to the correct conclusion that stupid should be my middle name. Our tin opener gave up and not really having a spare I rushed to Amazon and typed in can openers, again speed to try and catch next day delivery straight to best sellers. That's where I found this product, although I did think at the time it appeared a little strange looking for a can opener I quickly browsed the reviews. Reading words like "universal" and "opens anything" made my mind up along with the fact its Brabantia which to me means excellent longevity, reliability and design. So bought and caught next day delivery, arrived twenty hours later just in time for dinner. It was about then I started to adopt my new middle name, as no matter how I angled this opener I couldn't get the lid off the tin. I couldn't send it back because that would mean admitting that I am stupid and I wanted to keep it quiet, so I kept it. Over the next week I used it five or six times around the house, jars, varnish tins with plastic spouts, super glue lid and an over tight door handle threaded cover which I couldn't budge with pliers. I would recommend as a universal lid opener, useful and handy, I am happy with this purchase.
I ended up purchasing the OXO good grip can opener which is a five star can opener so I can't be that stupid!
on 24 April 2014
Firstly, and probably most important - don't buy one of these from this company who say it's only post free when you spend over £10. Go to Cochrans of Ayr where it is £6.95 including postage.
The device itself is great and enables me to open a variety of jar sizes and other jobs - it's well designes and certainly helps me with my arthritic wrists and fingers to do a variety of tasks which I could not otherwise do.
Great value and highly recommended
on 26 February 2013
I bought this for my elderly parents who were having considerable difficulty trouble getting tops off things like milk. They now have no trouble and use it all the time, not just for milk but for many other jars and bottles.
VINE VOICEon 7 November 2014
Looks complicated but it is very easy to use. And it does the job. Don't spend a fortune on electric/battery openers--this is all you will need for jars of different sizes and bottles and drinks cans.
on 11 April 2015
Just goes to show how easy it is to get caught out when trying to please/help your Mum. She is clocking on a bit now and is only a tiny little thing (4'10") and has issues opening cans and bottles, so mistakenly I thought this would solve the problem. WRONG. The basic idea is great but when used on anything larger than a bottle the handles are simply too wide and far apart for her to get a good enough grip. It must be horrible for her to see pickles, honey, jam etc sitting in jars and she cannot enjoy the content/s. For that matter I've tried to open her favourite honey jars with it as well and have found the same problem, and I'm virtually 6'. If you have fingers like spider-crabs legs then I suppose you'll be OK but other than that don't say you were not warned! The real tragedy is this was purchased based on some of the other (5 star) reviews. Hmmmm?
on 10 December 2015
My wife has mishapen fingers due to Arthritis and this item does help her a little (unfortunately not as much as I had hoped). My wife has difficulty with bleach bottles that need the top squeezing and has not yet been able to master opening them with this device. Also the edges of some jar tops are not vertical but slanted and even I had some trouble getting a grip on them (I have no problems whatsoever with my grip). I had trouble opening one jar myself and tried this device - MAGIC it just popped open. So if you can actually grip the appropriate top and you are able to provide the necessary grip-force this is truely ideal.

Any issues I have noted are NOT due to bad design by Brabantia (My whole direct family and I have been Brabantia fans for many years). One possible improvement would be for the handles to X when closed so that when trying to open a large jar with a small hand the handles are not so far apart.
on 26 March 2016
I bought this to specifically to open jars of of jam. I'm not very technically minded and it took a bit of trial and error to get it work.
Then I read that I need not have bought this. Simply wrap a piece of duct tape around the jam jar lid and twist
on 22 September 2013
have one of own, plus bought for others that love it.
great for elderly that need help to open lids