on 9 July 2016
The first 3 Coldplay albums are all rightly lauded but this one seemed to divide fans as surely as Moses and the Red Sea. For me, it's up there with the best.

Personally my favourite Coldplay album is 'A Rush of Blood...', also one of their most underrated songs. The early B sides take some beating too IMO (Help is Around the Corner reaches levels of pathos that are perhaps no longer attainable once you have oodles of dosh).

Personally I like 'Viva' every bit as much as X&Y, with the varying sounds generally falling safely within the boundaries of rock. The Hammond organ and tribal sounding rhythm on Lost! are a high point for me. I think Brian Eno's production has a lot to be said for it, but the songs are strong melodically and interesting lyrically too.

Violet Hill will please the rock fans, while Viva La Vida was something very different from Coldplay at the time (their Eleanor Rigby?), giving the band their first UK number one single. The Indian instrumentation on the opening track reminds me of Fairground Attraction's 'Find my Love' but it's still nice and the two-songs-in-one 'Yes' is also a high point, with a rare low register vocal from Chris Martin.

Sadly for me, Coldplay went too poppy after this album. Maybe I view percussion technologies that sound post-nineties as the work of the devil and this hampers my enjoyment. The changes in style have however prolonged Coldplay's career in appealing to the Rhianna / Beyoncé market and I imagine they would say that they haven't left the self-Christened 'limestone rock' genre at all. For me, 'Viva' is their last good album. I did enjoy hearing the live performance at Glastonbury in 2016 nonetheless.
on 9 August 2016
I avoided buying this because of the mixed reviews but wanted to complete my collection of music from this brilliant band. Five stars for track 7, Viva LaVida which is a concert favourite and Coldplay through and through. The rest of the album is ok but nothing else stands out as outstanding. Without track 7 I would probably have given the album 3 at best but I hope it grows on me and now completes my Coldplay collection. I am hoping that they will release a Glastonbury album on DVD/ BLURAY as I think their pure energy is best seen as excellent entertainers and crowd pleasers. One of the best groups around.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 May 2014
The decision to bring in Brian Eno, in order to energize the Coldplay sound, seems to be an unqualified success to me - the aim, apparently, was for every song on the album to sound unique and, to my ears, the brief was met. Musically, the boys are in fine form with special mention going to Jonny Buckland's excellent guitar playing and, naturally, Chris Martin's sweet vocals and powerful keyboards are prominent. My favourite tracks here are the masterful '42', which moves superbly from ballad to uptempo rock before building to a classy instrumental climax and the anthemic title track - for me, both rank highly in any list of Coldplay classics. I would happily recommend buying 'Viva La Vida...' to add to your album collection.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 September 2015
Coldplay on vinyl a must buy for fans of vinyl, it has some amazing songs on including

Viva la Vida
Violet hill
Fourty two
Contains a small bit of living in technicolor

It's also on the new 180 gm thicker vinyl, which my hubby loves.
on 3 October 2011
This was my second ever download from Amazon MP3..... the first being 'Every Tear Drop is a Waterfall'. Too bad that Apple does not allow users to use Amazon's store directly. However I was glad to find the process very straight forward when i downloaded the track. The track went straight in to my itunes and all i had to do was sync my ipod.

This is simply a great album if not the best. I liked Coldplay with a bit more raw sound. Less techno is the way they should go.
on 17 February 2018
Bought for a a Coldplay fan as part of a Christmas present.
on 16 September 2010
Although I've been aware of this band for some time, it was listening to Michael Caine on Desert Island Discs that alerted me to just how good they might be (he selected Viva La Vida). Received the disc yesterday and it sure is good - Brian Eno influence noticeable. I cannot recall the last time I purchased the work of contemporary bands and if this is the 'state of the art', it really means I must listen to more!
on 28 May 2017
Superb album, this one should be in every music collector's library 10/10.
on 18 September 2017
Marvellous album, grows on you with every listen.
on 4 December 2011
What surprised me most about this album was how much I enjoyed it the very first time I listened to it. It usually takes me longer to get to know and enjoy a whole album, usually opting to listen first to tracks I already know. But this seems to flow so well from track to track that I have always played it from start to finish. A great addition to my CD collection.