Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Amazon Music Unlimited Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

fantastic
on 24 September 2016
Best ever
on 5 July 2008
Here's the thing. I'm a massive fan of Coldplay and have thoroughly enjoyed all of their albums and rightfully give them the credit and the listening time they ultimately deserve. So I bought Viva La Vida without any doubts whatsoever.

I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon of "the band have lost their direction" or start questioning their commitment as some of the music on this album shows that they still have a huge talent for song writing and delivery. However, to put it into perspective, I bought this album and Radiohead's (my other favourite band) "In Rainbows" on the same day and I've only listened to the Coldplay album twice since then (couple of weeks in). The other has been playing constantly in my CD player. Okay so it's not a direct comparison of bands or music, but it just shows that Coldplay's new album just isn't having the impact that I or they may have thought it would.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great tracks on Viva La Vida, especially Violet Hill, Yes and the rather freshly sounding Viva La Vida. These songs show their class by either immediately exploding into life or (like Fix You from X & Y) half way through the song, bringing with it a wave of excitement together with my appreciation for their music once again.

Sadly though I have to say that these are rare shining moments in what in my opinion, is a disappointing album overall. Maybe my standards and expectations have been raised too high as I loved X & Y and still appreciate the raw sound of Parachutes but I genuinely feel that this album is a bit too hit and miss. This is not to say that I won't ever listen to this album again because I just know I will. I'll even most probably buy their next album also, so I guess that's the measure of how good a band Coldplay really are.
on 10 September 2016
its good
on 17 September 2014
great cd
on 1 August 2008
Having collected the other Coldplay albums for the sake of the few songs I liked on them, this album was a more pleasant surprise because unlike the slightly more downbeat and sombre albums of the past, this album contains simple and good tunes for the most part that are vibrant in places, catchy and good. My favourites include Life in Technicolour ( a perfect example of Coldplay's new approach), Viva La Vida and Strawberry Swing.

Even if not everything they do gets you buzzing, I'd defintely say this is the pick of their career so far.
on 20 May 2015