on 25 March 2015
This is a neat, dinky, attractive grinder, just the right size for my needs: I grind 24g of beans first thing, for two cups of filter; later I grind 15g for a single Aeropress cup. It grinds very well, and I like the adjustable grind feature. But.... My first thought was it felt rather flimsy. After a couple of weeks' use it shows no sign of breakage. But I think the central spindle is poorly designed - or uses low grade steel that's too soft. It might be Japanese, but it's manufactured in China...
The handle has a pentagonal socket which fits over the drive shaft: this gives good leverage and doesn't come off while grinding, unless you're clumsy. Getting it off is a different matter - a problem exacerbated by use. It is extremely stiff after use, stuck in place! The drive shaft top is becoming scored and gouged, very obviously damaged, even though I'm not overloading the grinder or using excessive force. I tend to leave it until next time, when the thing has sort of relaxed a bit, and even then it takes some fiddling and levering to prise off the handle. This makes the whole structure bend and twist, and I'm concerned it might break after a while.
Maybe I have a duff example - I don't know.
EDIT - two months later... Maybe I do have a duff example, or maybe this grinder is not what it's cracked up to be: the grind handle has scored the spindle so badly that it's slipping, and if I were to continue it would I am sure be useless within a couple of days. Fortunately Amazon is taking it back for a refund - but this grinder is very poor, to die after a mere two months' use. I haven't overloaded it: the manuf's spec is that it will grind up to 24gm of beans, and mostly I've used it to grind 15gm - not daily, in fact it wasn't used at all for over three weeks while I was abroad. I suspect poor steel quality - made in China....
77 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 November 2011
I bought this mill a few months ago, together with Aeropress, hoping to make excellent coffee without breaking the bank.

My expectation were fulfilled - this is an excellent grinder, and does everything exactly as you would want and expect.

1. Build quality: second to none, 5/5
You can really tell this thing is made in Japan and not in China. All parts fit together perfectly, the finish is flawless and the operation is smooth. Ceramic burrs will never rust and wear extremely slowly.
The person mentioning nut failures must have used it to hammer nails or something because this is a VERY SOLIDLY made item. Only way to improve it, would be to use wood or toughened glass instead of plastic (I am no fan of plastics in general) - but at this price you really couldn't ask for better.

2. Ease of use: very easy, but instructions are in Japanese, 4/5
It will take you a while initially to figure out how to use it, because it comes with no instructions in English. But because it is a very simple device, there is not a lot to figure out, really: the top handle comes off, the clear top cover comes off, the clear container screws on and off, and the adjustment nut is under the burrs. That's it.

3. Practicality: Very good 4.5/5
Let's start with the grind adjustment: the adjustment nut has locking "steps" and because of that it takes a bit of effort to turn it - but on the other hand it always stays in position, so this is a good thing. Also, the steps make it easy to aim for the desired grind coarseness.
Grinding itself is easy and only slightly tedious - will usually take between a minute and four minutes, depending on your coarseness and quantity and size of your beans (bigger will take longer). It can be quite fun too, and my guests (especially children) often enjoy grinding as a kind of novelty.
One very minor problem I have is that because the container is plastic it accumulates static charge, which often causes grinds to stick to walls. A strong tap usually helps, but occasionally I have to resort to a spoon to get all of them out.

4. Coffee quality: Excellent 5/5
Some people suggest that manual grinding is better as it doesn't heat up the beans, which harms flavour. I am not sure if this is true, but I always find coffee ground manually to be slightly better than the same coffee ground in an electric mill. It might be purely psychological (i.e. "I put a lot of work in it, so it has to be better"). But one certain fact is that the grind is very consistent, which is certainly paramount to achieving good coffee.

All in all, I am very happy with this mill. I consider grinding to be one of the cornerstones of great coffee (the other being beans, water and the brewing process), and this mill certainly fulfils its purpose well. Five stars from me.
55 comments| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 June 2011
I have had this grinder for about three weeks. It is solidly built and has a quality feel to it.

It takes me about a minute to grind a double espresso so that is just about on its finest, and therefore slowest, grind. If you are wanting a coarser grind for a cafetiere it will be quicker. The grind is consistently excellent. I am very pleased with the price, quality and ease of use.

The order was processed and delivered very quickly, the grinder was very well packaged.
on 27 February 2015
The metal strip where the handle attaches is made out of butter-like material. After 3 months of mild use (weekends only) I managed to damage it so that the handle has nothing to grip on and turn the mill. I'd advise anyone to stay away from this product. There are many other manual mill of better quality that might be slightly more expensive but will last you more than 3 months.
review image
on 27 May 2013
I recently invested in a Gaggia Classic espresso machine and was struggling with pulling a perfect shot even with ground beans from Hasbean (if you haven't tried them then your missing out, best coffee on the Internet or indeed anywhere!) as the Gaggia is pretty fussy about its grind.
I would have liked to buy an electric grinder for ease, but having been advised that for an electric grinder to be any good your looking at a minimum of £200 I looked around for a temporary solution.
I bought this on the recommendation of Steve at Hasbean and numerous other interviews and am delighted! Grind is controlled with the dial at the bottom of the machine and even on the fiest grind, enough for a double shot is ready in a couple of minutes. And the taste of the resulting coffee is AMAZING!
I don't find hand grinding a chore at all, it's actually quite therapeutic. Ok, so you wouldn't want to be making coffee for more that 2 people or making ten cups a day, but for my cup or two a day it's perfect.
I certainly won't be replacing it with an electric grinder any time soon! Highly recommended.
on 13 March 2015
I really enjoy using this coffee grinder and the options it gives me to get a grind that suits my espresso machine. However I'm glad I've waited seven months before writing this review and have been able to give 3 stars . The reason for this is what I see as a design weakness at the point where the handle fits on to the spindle. The metal on the handle is quite thin and over the months has been cutting/wearing into the spindle and now in is getting more difficult to remove as it becomes wedged on. It would have been far better if the thickness of that part of the handle matched the available amount of spindle (approx. 10m). I hope to raise the position onto an unworn area by putting a small washer on the spindle hence getting a few more months out of it. Otherwise this would have been a definite 5 stars.
on 17 August 2013
After a week with my new Gaggia Classic of pulling slightly disappointing shots of espresso using shop-bought ground coffee, I decided to team it with the Hario Slim after reading the positive reviews on here. Everyone in the know seemed to suggest that not only is a decent grinder of paramount importance when attempting to make quality coffee, but that this hand grinder is of superior quality to several electric models more than 5 times the cost.

The Hario is easy to use and simple to adjust. Just measure your beans in the cup, pour into the top section, screw into the cup, attach the lid/handle and you're good to go! The main issue I had was that it took a while (and no small amount of beans) to get the Hario dialled in - this however is to be expected as instructions are minimal. I am currently using Lavazza Black Espresso beans and have found that the 6th finest setting produces a perfect 25 second double shot of lush, thick black espresso with a generous head of luxurious crema - certainly vastly superior to anything offered by any high-street coffee chain. Highly recommended.
on 25 September 2012
This is a very nice and lightweight coffee grinder. The only thing I miss about it is some form of visible indication of how it's setup. With my aeropress I go for maximum fine position and then "a bit back with the screw". It's ideal when you're making coffee just for 1 person. I would recommend looking for electric grinder though if you're planning to prepare coffee for 2 (or more) people, as hand grinding takes quite some time - but this is a general downside of all hands grinders I guess.
on 30 April 2015
After four months of use this grinder become difficult to use as the lever would not easily come off, see photo.

By the end of the 5th month, it has proved to be impossible to remove the lever, so I have got just five months of regular use out of this product. I have contacted the supplier to see what they can do and will keep you posted, but in the meantime, caveat emptor.
review image
on 12 May 2013
one main reason - the plastic body creates some static for the coffee grinds not a major problem

Where it fails majorly on the Porlex - is that the screw base gets contaminated by grinds as you tip out the coffee once ground.
So your constantly blowing on the thread of the bottom to clear it when re-attaching the bottom to the top.

The Porlex being aluminium and no screw thread does not have this problem.

Feels mucho plasticky and im happy to have it as a 2nd grinder for time being...

Has the exact same burr grinder as the porlex so thats not an issue.

Nice to see the beans grinding and then how much you have.