on 16 July 2011
Returned the cheaper item bought from Amazon due to it's inability to grip the USB plugs and bought this one. World of difference. Excellent. The lead is about 9" long if it's any help. Recommended.
78 people found this helpful
#1 HALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon 8 October 2015
I bought this to add some additional ports to a micro PC (which only has 2 as standard) as this will mostly be used for peripherals such as a keyboard/mouse possibly a web camera USB 3.0 wasn't that important.

Plastics are a glossy black with 3 ports on the top one on the front that can be useful to have depending on how it's placed I'll be using this on a desk most of the time. Running fine with both Win 7 and Win 10 64bit systems drivers are automatically installed no need to download anything for this. Whilst it's aimed more at laptop users (cable isn't that long) it's fine for a desktop too you can add an extender lead if you wish.

A note on the power this is purely via the USB port there is no external power connection for low drain devices like card readers and keyboards not a problem, hard drives you will get away with only one at best (small 2.5" external) larger desktop drives have their own power supply. Whilst you can use the ports to charge small items like an MP3 player it's not going to charge a phone quickly you'll need a powered power or fast charging alternative. As a basic 4 port USB hub though it's quite good and a reasonable price.
One person found this helpful
on 15 January 2016
I got a new work laptop, which is small and great for travel (which I do a lot of in work), but has dissappointingly few USB ports. Working at home I have room to plug in a keyboard and mouse and then struggle if I need to use the printer, hook up a camera or any other USB device.

I therefore decided to look around for a multi-USB adaptor and found this one. I received the item quickly and it is slim and sits behind my laptop on the desk without taking up much space.

Installation was also a simple matter, I plugged the device in and it took a couple of minutes for the drivers to automatically install, but not an unreasonable length of time. The drivers for my keyboard and laptop then took another minute or so to reinstalled and I was ready to go.

Verdicit is that, if you are looking for extra USB slots for your computer or laptop, this item works well and at a very reasonable price (was on sale at under £6 when I purchased, but would have paid more). Pleased with my purchase and would recommend.
on 28 August 2017
Does it's job without fuss. Bought to use with on of my Raspberry Pi's and worked well with that with no issues. Currently using it with my desktop PC, again, no issues (Windows 7 64bit).
I particularly like the end USB port as it allows me to run a cable out along my desk without the cable making a mess everywhere. The 3 vertical ports are suitably well spaced for even fairly chunky USB thumb drives.
The attached cable is fairly short, however, I use an extension cable to connect it to a spare port on my PC.
All in all a decent bus-powered hub.
VINE VOICEon 15 September 2015
I bought this item a couple of years ago and have had no trouble with it whatsoever. It is ideal in so many ways:
1 - the usb ports are not squashed together therefore allowing items to be plugged in more easily.
2 - It has worked consistently and reliably since I purchased it.
3 - it is sturdy with good cable protection so no weak joints becoming flimsy.
4 - there is no lapse in response at all, and to repeat myself, it works!!
5 - the longer cable on the hub makes it perfect for my needs, it's long enough to sit on my desk under my iMac and be accessible without rams of cable cluttering up the place. Not too long, not too short, in fact, as Goldilocks said, it's just right.
I bought this item to use with my iMac, which has all the usb ports behind the screen and I didn't want to keep shifting the iMac to plug/unplug usb cables. This works seamlessly with my iMac.
on 14 December 2012
Bigger than a milky way, thinner than a mars bar, I can't quite hide this in my clenched fist but it is relatively unobtrusive. From the base end to the top of the rubber housing for the cable feed it is exactly the same height as a CD case. The plastic casing is very shiny but quite robust (I can't even begin to squeeze it out of shape) though light weight. I guess it is at least as strong as most plastic tin openers and weighs not much more than a box of matches. I don't know how scratch resistant the surface will prove to be but it looks good at this moment in time. The cable, which is of a good weight, is just the right length to plug the usb connection into the end port, making it extremely tidy for packing away.

Whilst my laptop has an adequate number of usb ports, they are mostly on the wrong side for convenience so I decided, at the price, I would try this hub out and am more than pleased with my purchase. An added bonus to being able to plug everything in on the same side, so not having cables trailing every which way, is that the one cable that was really too short for convenience plugs into the end port and now reaches with flexion to spare. The usb connection fits quite tightly into my laptop's usb port allowing the certain amount of movement synonymous with laptop use (Although I have discovered that it will disconnect if you forget it is plugged in and decide to turn too far in the wrong direction!). Another bonus is the bus power source - there are never enough power sockets for serious amounts of hardware.

As someone else pointed out, the paperwork is not obvious. It is tucked into the backing card so don't miss it before throwing out the packaging.
One person found this helpful
on 22 August 2014
I run Windows 7 64 bit - When I found a need for some extra USB ports I started looking around at the different options. And even though we are not talking about a huge investment, I can not help myself but to investigate what is around and of course what other people have wrote about them.

This one stood out for me as something easy to get up and going, and of course giving the least problems going forward. I have been using this now for about 5 or 6 months and can say that it has not given me a moments problem. I have a mix of items plugged into it - including the lead for my mobile phone, receiver for the mouse and external hard drive. All of which operate without any problems at all. The transfer rate for when I am backing up large files onto my external drive is good.

So if you are looking for a great option for increasing the amount of USB ports on your computer, I would not hesitate in saying "Use this one!"

Hope this helps you :-)
on 6 July 2017
Really happy with this. Bought a cheep alternative from tiger a few years ago and it was so badly unfit for purpose, I was very reluctant to upgrade for fear I'd get ripped off.

With that said, this has been amazing - I have my keyboard, mouse and iphone cable hooked in and there is no lag at all. Unsure if my phone charges slower or not... haven't really noticed the difference... still gets to 100% relatively fast.
VINE VOICEon 11 March 2015
As you would expect from Hama, this is an excellent product. £8 or so is not a lot of money to most people and this actually works well and is well made. You can get cheap ones for a third of the price but they are rubbish and don't work. I ran out of USB sockets on the back of my desktop PC in the office and didn't want to use the front USB sockets as the leads cause obstructions and get in the way of the keyboard. This gives me some more breathing space! I didn't find any problems with impedance or low voltage when running devices, though I think you'll need to be careful if using it to run impedance fussy devices like Smartphone charger / connection leads and USB3 external hard drives but speakers, keyboards and mice worked fine.
on 14 April 2012
I recently purchased a Samsung Smart TV which, amongst many other features, offered 2 USB2 ports. This was great but quite limiting because I wanted to attach my Samsung wireless dongle and at least 2 Samsung portable external hard drives (see my review:http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0053ZAQ06/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0)

Because of this two port limitation it was very much a case of swapping & changing for the appropriate occasion. But rather than going down this irritating road I did some research for a decent USB hub, and decided on this. And so far I am very pleased with the results.

It was despatched in good time, and even though it comes with instructions there's no real need to do any reading: just plug in and off you go!

In my case I plugged the USB connector into the USB socket of my TV, and then attached 3 external hard drives via their own USB cables to the hub (leaving one port free for future use); and plugged my wireless dongle into the other USB socket of my TV.

I switched on my TV and selected "Source", and in seconds my TV picked up all three hard drives and the dongle. Navigating through each of the hard drive's directories was speedy & responsive. Playing a film or TV documentary from those drives was also very responsive with no lag at all.

So I am very pleased with this compact hub. It is simple to use, works on Smart TVs (well it works on my Samsung at least!); is very good value, and all four ports worked fine & very responsive.

Recommended