Format: DVD|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 16 October 2014
I was obliged to send for this 36 episode 2-disc collection recently for my two little relatives (aged 6 and 9) purely because, frankly, I got the distinct impression that my description of the show and my memories of same were being treated, not as the reminiscences of someone with a decent appreciation of animated comedy, but as the ravings of a complete and utter lunatic.

I don't think they believed me when I tried to describe the star of the show (voiced by Derek Griffiths), for instance. He comes from humble and rather tragic beginnings, having started life as a shoddily-made teddy bear who, to the absolute disgust of the narrator, found himself being thrown away 'like a piece of rubbish'.

I think I might've lost them when I spoke of his rescue by a Spotty Man (voiced by Jon Pertwee) who was out and about on some kind of interstellar daytrip, and who just happened to be rummaging around in the factory bins when he decided to help himself to a bit of stolen property.

And they definitely didn't believe that a pinch of 'space dust', as dispensed quite liberally by 'Mother Nature' (which, to me, sounds like some kind of codename that's been assigned by the Drug Squad) can give one of life's rejects special crime-fighting powers, with just the merest hint of a secret magic word.

For all his impressive abilities though, Superted finds himself perpetually engaged in the fight against what is, quite possibly, the most inept gang of crooks in history. We've got Texas Pete (Victor Spinetti) as gang-leader, an especially mean-spirited cowboy who has his fingers in an awful lot of different criminal pies. Left to his own devices he might occasionally be a match for Superted and Spotty but, thankfully, he has decided to take two 'bumbling sidekicks' out of the unemployment queue instead.

First we have Bulk (Roy Kinnear), who possesses flabby brawn in spades, but who was very much short-changed in the brains department. And then there's Skeleton, who is (wait for it now!) a skeleton, voiced by Melvyn Hayes. Ah, not JUST a skeleton though, but a coward who seems to be, how can I put this, very much in touch with his feminine side. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course - there's nothing wrong with a man wearing pink slippers either, if it comes to that.

Do you know, I can sort of see why my little relatives were sizing me up for a straightjacket now...

Not to worry though because, having spent a while in the company of this 3-series complete collection themselves, they too have come to appreciate the wonderful weirdness that is, Superted. Jon Pertwee's rather cowardly spotted alien is the big draw, I think. But then, there's not much he did that isn't eminently watchable. And the show is funny. The three villains especially have a beautiful - if thoroughly hopeless - little dynamic.

The picture quality is not amazing, but that's not really a problem. In fact, I have only one complaint about this collection, and it's one that I don't suppose could've been helped, given how short each Superted adventure is (roughly ten minutes): but, by gum, hearing that closing theme so many times in one sitting can REALLY get right up a person's nose.

What makes it worse is that (a) it is so darn catchy, and (b) I have absolutely no idea what the lyrics might be. And yet I STILL find myself trying to sing along with it!
on 8 April 2016
Another one of my childhood favourites. It was made and broadcast before i was born. So i only saw it when it came out on VHS in either the late 80s or early 90s. I loved this show from day one. So was pleased to see it on DVD. I paid just over a fiver for a 3 series DVD set. Which in my eyes is brilliant value. Very pleased to have one of my all time favourite childhood shows on DVD. Derek Griffiths does a brillaint job of voicing Superted. The DVD is amazingly good quality seen as it was made a good 30 or so years ago.
on 20 December 2010
The Complete Superted Series 1-3 [DVD] [1982]

This is the original T.V. series from 1982. It has lost none of its` charm, the sound and visual production is superb.
Young children love it. If you listen carefully to it, there are several`treats` for adults where the things said by the characters have a different meaning for adults and can be quite amusing.
on 25 February 2009
well its all of Superted and all on DVD. Brilliant!

although watching it again really showed some "interesting" points of views from the writers.
on 9 October 2010
Brings back some great childhood memories. You'll be whistling the theme song for sure. Short episodes but extremely enjoyable! 4 star
on 11 May 2015
Wow, it certainly brought back memories and all the episodes were great quality, I really don't know why I didn't get this boxset earlier, it's great for young children and memory lane from the early to mid 80's
on 12 September 2014
The series is one of those weird things that sounds ridiculous when you say or describe it, a teddy bear and a spotty alien save the world from a cowboy a fat lump and a cowardly skeleton, like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, despite its daft premise it went on to become one of the most fondly remembered of kids TV, the only thing bad about this release is the absence of the Road Safety special, would it have been too much to add it as an Easter egg or a special feature, still that put aside, it's still one of the best buy you can make for your inner child!
on 19 July 2015
My boys aged 3 & 5 love this DVD as much as I do (takes me back to my childhood). It serves well for children interested in superheroes when parents don't want them watching Batman, Spiderman etc that could be a bit too grown up.
on 22 August 2015
My daughter, neice and nephew (ages 4,5 & 6) were glued to this from the start of the first episode. I didn't know how well it would have aged, but it seems to be a timeless classic.

Seasons 1 & 2 are on disc 1 and season 3 is on disc 2. The episodes are quite short. Only around 10 minutes each, give or take, perfect for a short attention span.

The only criticism I have is that it has not been remastered, but the kids did not care so I guess it doesn't matter.
on 9 February 2012
WEll done for sending this so promptly - A brilliant series that our Grandchildren (2 and 4) enjoy - each programme is short enough for them to stay with it - so popular that when doing a superheroes topic for school assembly, the whole class adopted Superted as their favourite superhero !