Customer reviews

Danger Man: The Complete 1964-1968 Series [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 2 July 2017
This box set suffers from one flaw, sadly, and that is the sound quality on some (thought certainly not all) episodes. On one or two episodes the sound quality is no better than appalling - although it is interesting that amidst the inaudible mumbling, Drake himself can always be heard. I have not felt this has been enough of a problem to detract from the five star rating.

Now, having started on that negative note, I should go on to report that this box set of Danger Man represented for me many, many hours of riveting TV watching - on a modern large TV without the 405 lines, without the maddening commercial breaks and without the unsuppressed interference from household electrical gadgets (not even my wife's sewing machine - my mother's old Singer used to obliterate the TV). These DVDs give a beautiful picture which is, let's face it, infinitely better than anything that could have been seen when they were originally broadcast. I guess it's a credit to the original filming and to any digital restoration that has been done that the episodes look so good when seen in a modern format.

I guess the problems with the sound quality perhaps relegate this collection from a general high recommendation for anyone interested in 60s TV drama to a highly recommended for fans of Danger Man and fans of Patrick McGoohan - of which there are many, of course. I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed watching this box set as a set of little dramas - this was not merely a nostalgia trip as I could remember none of the actual episodes although I'm sure many will have fond memories of Drake's exploits.

Since watching this box set I have up-graded my audio system and I shall re-watch all the episodes in the coming months - if the sound-quality of the DVDs improves I shall amend this review accordingly.
on 8 July 2017
Enjoyed watching it, it still stands up well in fact one of the reasons I buy a number of old TV series box sets is because they are so much more enjoyable than so much of the new stuff they put on TV now
As others have mentioned there are two box sets that cover different series, I believe one box set was a longer show than the other but I have both and both are very enjoyable
on 19 July 2017
I enjoyed every episode of this iconic series which was well ahead of its time. The series contains many of the stars who would later go on to work with Patric McGoohan in the Prisoner. Although most of the episodes are in black and white, with the last two in colour this did not make a difference to me, I loved watching this DVD, it is extremely well done with great performances from the cast in every episode.
on 15 October 2017
Absolutely brilliant. Patrick McGoohan was born to play secret agent John Drake. Realistic stories and brilliant acting from everyone. The greatest episodic secret agent TV ever. And the music with its jazz walking bass lines and harpsichord is so atmospheric. This is the real deal.
on 17 November 2016
I was a big fan of the Danger Man series and hence Patrick McGoohan in my youth and thought I'd like to relive that enjoyment. It's dated of course, but the stories tend to hold up fairly well. McGoohan has an intensity as an actor, who therefore dominates the action which is no band thing and of course he then made the classic TV series - "The Prisoner" for which he is rightly renowned. (He always claimed that his character in The Prisoner" is not a continuation of his character in "Danger Man" but of course it is and indeed makes sense in that context).
on 17 February 2017
I bought this DVD box set because I'd just watched The Prisoner on Blu Ray and wanted more Patrick Mcgoohan. Took me a few episodes but I now absolutely love Danger Man. The scripts are excellent and Mcgoohan is perfect in the role of John Drake. Yes it's dated in many ways but it still stands up as great tv. I was too young to remember Danger Man or The Prisoner when they were originally broadcast but it was clearly a golden age for tv. The only minor negative is the sound is very low on the DVD's. But once the volume is adjusted the ears adjust. A fabulous DVD box set and a fabulous tv series.
on 11 February 2018
Oh Patrick. How we love you. Your strange, disjointed ways. Your curious uncomfortability with women, your physicality (in stark contrast to your excessive smoking)... Plot lines occasionally fall off the cliff, but generally this has stood the test of time, essential to keep the thrill after The Prisoner has faded from memory. Most recommended.
on 10 September 2016
So glad I bought this set of DVDs; it's inventive, unpredictable and with Patrick McGoohan giving it that extra edgy piquancy, "Danger Man" makes for almost compulsive viewing - if you like that sort of off-beat plotting, which I do. There's the occasional mis-firing episode, too odd for it's own good, but overall there's a lot of enjoyment to be had here. These stories of mid-1960s British secret agent John Drake feature a number of signposts pointing the way to the later series "The Prisoner".
on 30 November 2017
Arrived safely and on time exactly as described - excellent purchase.
on 6 February 2014
My wife and I remembered these series from years ago when they were being shown on the television and ordered them there and then. Each episode is a complete story and Patrick McGooham comes over as fresh as ever. The stories haven't aged as some of the older stuff does. There is plenty of action, but it is never unpleasant. There is nothing the children can't watch. I recommend it to anyone likes a good clean action story.

Peter Brentwood