Customer reviews

Chasing Sound: The Les Paul Story [DVD] [2008]
Format: DVD|Change

on 13 November 2008
If you only buy one DVD of Les Paul let it be this one. Not for the Documentary, which is very good, but for the 90 minutes of the Greatest Guitar Player ever playing live. In my mind there are only 3 Guitarists worthy of consideration for the title of greatest ever guitarist. To be the greatest on any instrument one has to go further than just be a great player, they have had to have taken things a stage fursther. To this end my contenders are Django Reinhardt, Les Paul & Jimi Hendrix. If you agree, then Les has to be the greatest living guitarist and at 93 years young he is still playing the Iridium Club on Broadway every Monday night. So next time you visit the Big Apple make sure you are there on the Monday night, it is well worth it. If you don't believe me watch the DVD. Sadly later in 2009 after I had written this review Les passed away and we lost one of the greatest entertainers the world has ever seen. Now it is even more important to own this DVD for the footage of his 90th birthday concert, to witness the greatest doing what he did best - entertain a live audience. Now lets hope someone finds all the old Les & Mary TV shows and any other footage of the master live and releases that for the rest of us to enjoy. My condolances to all who knew and loved Les.
33 Comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 October 2017
Excellent coverage of Les Paul's life and work. A must have for Les Paul fans .
on 12 October 2009
Since this DVD has been published, Les Paul has sadly died and so it is an even more important record of modern music. It is full of wonderful items , by, and about the great man. Anyone who likes music and especially guitars should get this and treasure it, it cannot be repated.
on 14 January 2013
Great playing of course & a look at the original 'plank' that became the Les Paul guitar. Included a some rare shots of well known players like Stephan Grappelli. Interesting & informative. Terrific quality pictures. How did they get those pristine pictures of the V Disc recordings?
on 2 July 2014
excellent value for money,3 hours long! the disc is divided into 5 parts,...a performance from the iridiridium club...........duets with various guests, classic tv appearances, conversations with les and a photo gallery
on 22 October 2013
As Les Paul is my kind omusician I enjoyed his search for a new sound. Interesting both in the innovations he brought to music and enjoyable for the performances. A consumate artist and very entertaining.
on 6 October 2014
Seeing Les Paul and Mary Ford on the London Palladium in 1952 made me take up the guitar. I owe him for many years of guitar playing enjoyment.
on 4 August 2014
This item it is not rated but totally appreciated for the man's influence in the music and inventions he created absolute legion
on 7 May 2013
Great CD if you are a fan of Les Paul it will bring back wonderful memories, great product for the price great delivery
on 26 June 2012
I bought this dvd for my son. I also bought him a Les Paul guitar. What a good father I am
I haven't seen it but I'm sure it's good. the man was an icon for god's sake