Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Moana - Listen with Prime Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Tribute To Bobby  (CD + DVD)
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 May 2017
Perfect
on 13 August 2017
Exelent
on 12 June 2015
Considering his ability could be better.May his band should have done it too.
on 24 March 2017
Very good cd
on 21 May 2008
I can think of only a handfull of musicians who deliver constantly good albums time after time , mick hucknalls voice just gets better and better ,iv'e never felt short changed with a simply red album and this mick hucknall album tribute to bobby is no exception , another cracking album you will want to listen to time and time again , great songs ,great voice ...
on 27 May 2008
This is the first time I've ever given a review,but felt I just had to.

It is a fabulous album, don't be put off if you are not a blues fan, it is also funky, and great for dancing round the kitchen too, while you're cooking the dinner.Mick Hucknall has picked a terrific selection of songs, and for a change the album starts off with one you can really rock to .

The musicians are top class,very slick, and each track I had to listen to twice before I continued to the next, and each one is superb in it's own right.The production has also been handled by experts and it shows.

This is the album that Mick Hucknall was meant to make...although all those made with Simply Red are wonderful, this seems to be the one he sounds most at home with, in my humble opinion.

More of the same please Mick
on 11 August 2010
how anyone can say this is a continuation of simply red is beyond me. its a tribute to bobby bland a blues/soulsinger . apart from the voice it is a very different style altogether and really shows off his voice to great effect. ijm not a big simply red fan but hear dsome of this on the radio and really liked it.

atually saw him live doing this and whilst loads of simply red fans turned up he only did one simply red song which was very brave. still a great voice live!!!!
on 5 September 2015
Lovingly crafted from the first note to the last this album is a 'must have'. Mick Hucknall's voice just keeps getting better over the years and has now matured into a soulful depth which more than does justice in translating the almost sacred sound of Bobby Bland's material. Together with the new and exciting arrangements, which are always respectful to the soul of the original recordings, this is undoubtedly a labour of love. I can't imagine how any collection could be complete without this.
on 6 April 2011
Right from the outset, let me say that I LOVE Bobby Bland, and if I am honest, never thought I would buy a Mick Hucknall CD !
Although I have always liked his voice, and the odd Simply Red song, hearing the occassional SR tune on the radio was enough for me.
However ....... when I saw this CD, where he takes on some of Bobby's finest songs, I was intrigued/worried enough to fork out and see if he could do Mr Bland justice.
I need not have worried, Mick has produced a fantastic tribute album to a great blues singer. His singing is first class throughout and the production/arrangement on all the songs is excellent.
Smashing little DVD included as well where Mick meets Bobby and a few bits of Mick in the studio.
If you are a Mick Hucknall fan and enjoy this album, go out and buy Bobby's Dreamer and California Album ..... you won't be disappointed.
on 27 May 2008
I was intrigued to hear this album as I have loved Bobby Bland for a long time. He is one of the original greats up there with Ray Charles and Sam Cooke as a pioneer in soul music's early years. Good on Mick Hucknall for wanting to update some fine old tunes even if he said some daft things about how he and Mr Bland are coming from similar backgrounds in an interview in Mojo.(Both outsiders apparently)

Mick Hucknall somehow manages to 'de-soul' some fine old songs.Try as I might I just didn't get it. Hucknall seemed out of his depth throughout and I didn't like the timbre of his voice. The album lacked authenticity and whilst it was obviously a labour of love I found the arrangements to be bland (no pun intended)and anodyme lacking the essential blues and soul of the originals.

My advice is to go elsewhere on this site and buy the originals. Start with 'Two Steps from the Blues' and if it's your thing then try 'The California album' and his fine Malaco release 'Years of Tears'.