on 29 September 2013
Bought this TV over 4 years ago, it provided excellent service with clear picture and sound but I felt that the push button on/off switch on the left side was a weakness. In the last year it made a buzzy noise at times and I couldn't tell whether it was on or off from the position. I stopped using it and just used the remote to turn it on from standby and the wall switch to turn it off at night.
Sadly it stopped working completely about 2 weeks ago with no power to the TV. I contacted Toshiba and they were brilliant. A DPD courier collected the TV, even provided a box to pack it in and a week later it came back fixed, all done free of charge. I suspect the faulty switch is a design fault so anybody else with this problem please contact Toshiba.
I nearly took it to the dump but glad that I phoned Toshiba Customer Service first.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 December 2008
So you are considering buying a flatscreen LCD TV. You are sitting at you computer reading all these fabulous reviews, asking yourself "Is this Toshiba TV that good considering the price?". Well let me tell you, without any hesitation the answer is definitely "YES!". I've been round friends' houses and have never been that thrilled with the picture quality from their flat screen TVs. I consider myself fairly fussy about the quality I want from a TV and therefore was apprehensive buying one on-line! I needn't have worried. Unpacking it, fitting the stand and setting it up was a doddle. It scanned and set-up all the digital channels automatically. I then sat back in the chair and channel hopped through the channels. Soon I had a big grin on my face and I knew I had made the right choice.

The smile on my face got even bigger when I connected my xBox360 elite through the HDMI connection... WOW! Sound is superb as well.

My girlfriends' son was also considering buying a flat screen TV for his bedroom. He took one look at the Toshiba and said "Can you order me one?". So now we have two!
on 21 October 2014
I've had this TV for 6 years now, which in itself is an achievment these days! fabulous TV; still works perfectly, no problem with the power button but I tend to switch everything off at the wall so it's had an easy life.
Starting to show its age styling wise a little now, but certainly doesn't look old.

Great picture, especially on blu-ray. Interestingly it's now 50% more expensive than it was 6 years ago!

Would recommmend, but at the money it is now there's probably many more up-to-date options available.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 April 2009
this is a great t.v. on dvds and photo jpeg disc it is excellent.in fact i think my pics look better on this than the pc monitor.dvds when linked with hmdi lead are excellent too.
the freeview tuner is touchy.the t.v. can not pick up all the channels here that the hard drive recorder can.and sometimes you have to cycle the ones it can a few times before the picture appears.also has trouble picking right screen format.so much so i`m heading to cable t.v.
anolog t.v ,the tv just shows the picture up for what it is.
remember these t.v. doing things slowly.like start and change channels.
with a good input signal this t.v. is excellent.and the sound is a lot better than on the AV model.
just as every one says play about with picture settings for a awhile to get the best out of it.then you will be able to hear the colours.
for £460 its a great deal
on 27 December 2011
This product is good and the picture is good. The only problem I had was just over a year and the on / off button packed up so I have to leave the telly on stand by all the time. I did report this back to Amozon but was just told 'sorry it is over 12 months old no gaurantee anymore'!!!! It has now been on standby for over 2 years this still bugs me as I think for what the telly costs it should have no problems at all and for a product that was 14 months old approx when it went wrong I still think it should have been fixed free of charge, otherwise the quality and picture is good I just have to question the after sales customer service???
on 13 April 2009
After searching for weeks and weeks I took the plunge and went for this modern T.V. I found the tv to be a good quality and good price.However the joke of a hand book that came with it was ridiculous.For the massive amount of systems that are on this tv there is very little info on how to set it up and what all the different things actually do. I found the best picture came from turning all the posh auto this and auto that to the OFF setting. Now I've got an excellent picture. Looks fantastic with my sons X-Box 360 on the game player setting with a HD cable attached. The white lines on a football pitch still look a little pixelatted though.This is a small price to pay when you see the high quality of the rest of the pictures on nature programmes for example the colours come through brilliantly.Shame about the cheap and crappy handbook.
on 29 August 2017
excellent tv - still have it 5 years later and its going strong
on 25 January 2009
Hi, just want to join the five star reviewers on this one, i bought the 37xv555 all black model here on Amazon a few weeks ago, for once i followed the set up instructions and mounted it on the stand by myself no problems. I have no HD signals as yet so i bought this 1080p set for future purchases, for when i buy a blue ray player later this year and eventually get skyHD, if they bring the cost down. Theres not much point buying a HD ready 720p set if you are going to get a HD signal as you will only ever see the better HD signals in the old low quality format, [ie little better than watching a standard DVD on your old tube tv ]
As for my purchase, well chuffed- better picture than my brothers 40"LG, the colours are so clear, did not realise how bad my old jvc tube tv had been at showing the full spectrum. contrast and sharpness are top quality and freeview works great. Glad i bought the xv555 from here and not one of the tesco tvs which seem to have had a few glitches with a couple of purchases. reccommended.
on 11 April 2009
As someone who always has a problem setting up new equipment imagine my delight when with just the pressing of a couple of buttons I was watching my lovely new TV ! Picture and sound are great though I think when watching my Sky+ it would definitely be preferable to have external speakers to enhance the slightly muffled sound. I have given five stars though because for the price this is a fantastic bargain. I recommend Toshiba completely.
on 6 February 2009
I took some time searching reviews of 37" LCD TVs and finally decided on the Toshiba XV555.
I'm pleased to say that it was time well spent, as the XV555 is an excellent TV. The picture quality provided by the built-in Freeview is great - however I recently subscribed to SKY HD and the picture quality from this source is amazing. Excellent delivery by Amazon as usual.
The only reason I haven't awarded 5 stars is that I have only had the TV a week and as such reliability is an unknown factor.
(Can't understand the 1 star score from another reviewer - the contrast ratio is actually 18,000:1 not 1,800:1 as they suggest).

See one answered question