Bioshock 2 (PC DVD)
Platform: PC|Change

on 2 February 2016
The first step after clicking the PLAY button is a "Release date check"
after waiting a while, I get a message telling me it failed, try again.
I tried again. I tried again. I tried again.
I tried the "support website" which was very useful.
It gave me a list of times when I should try.
So I set my computer clock to one of the times and tried again and again and again and .... well you get the picture.
No luck.
I contacted the supplier who has responded.
The supplier has made my day!
However, I wouldn't bother contacting 2K for a solution, they sent this...
***********
Thank you for contacting 2K Support.
Firstly, could you let us know if the games were purchased new or used?
To help you out and get to back to fighting splicers, we will need to collect some information:
Image of the title box, CDs, and any associated documentation (including the CD keys)
Image of any error messages you receive trying to install or play the game
Images of your receipt
Note: ALL images or screenshots must show your email and ticket number and must not be cropped or cut off.
**************
I sent them the images after spending a few hours preparing them very carefully.
They then sent this...
***************
These images are a great start, but for the purposes of our investigation, we will require these images to include your ticket number and email on a piece of paper in the image. Please pay special attention to our image requirements. I am deeply sorry to have to ask you to do this again considering all the hard work you did!
Image of any error messages you receive trying to install or play the game
Images of your receipt
***********
The only thing I didn't supply was the image of the "CD keys" as they were not in the box!
I decided that I don't want to play their silly game. The game is over.
on 15 April 2013
This is obviously a follow up to Bioshock and it helps to have played the previous game to understand the mechanics and the environment. Set after the previous game you play as a "Big Daddy" looking for your "Little Sister". The original is a 5 star game and while this has some improvements with more weapons, enemies and abilities as well as gameplay tweaks I found it slightly less satisfying.

Playing as a "Big Daddy" did not ring true to me as when fighting them they take loads of punishment yet it only takes a few shots from an unseen "Splicer" to take you down. Also saving the "Little Sisters" got a bit repetitive and tempted you to take the dark side. The battles are fun and the "Big Sisters" are formidable foes but the environment seemed a bit more constrained and predictable and the sections where you go outside into the see added little as you could not do anything other than travel to the next location and pick up a few pieces on the way.

I am not able to comment about the online element as my game was supplied by Barcode Bargains and despite being sealed in cellophane and advertised as new it did not have a manual or product key required to sign on to Windows Online to access the online mode or record trophies. I have confirmed with 2K games all new games should have a product key and they won't supply one retrospectively.

Still a great game though with depth, a foreboding atmosphere and loads of imagination.
on 30 April 2013
Well where to start. Beside the fact that i cannot stand "Window Live games", that's not the problem i had with this, (i am a huge Bioshock fan), as much as the seller,(i don't even know who they are or if their name>BARCODE BARGAIN is legitimate) not providing a key code, absolutely necessary to activate the profile on window live to save the progress when playing BIOSHOCK. That's just the beginning, i contacted them they gave me a fairytale about games re-issued not having the key-code which is nonsense, then they "politely" passed the problem to the technical support at 2Kgames (Bioshock publisher), providing me w/ their contact number. Well they were not helpful or supportive either, they said that the game was not legitimate so i was not to be given a code...After i sent all the proof of my purchase and the picture of the game disk and the case, was not enough to get support. I m still angry about cuz i think they should have gimme the key. Not Amazon fault, indeed they were very helpful and supportive, I hope they investigate simply because the all situation was really fishy and it was a distressing experience not needed and i was only refunded cuz the game was out of stock. I would have preferred to get the key so i could play this game!
on 25 April 2016
I could not get this to run on my PC, and spent a couple of months talking to the publishers about it. To their credit, they eventually gave me a free Steam version, but it took a long time. If you want this game, I would advise going straight to Steam.

After all that, it was pretty so-so. Very much like the original except now you are a Big Daddy rather than Jack. The problem is that Jack was an interesting character that you felt invested in and could relate too. In this game, you do not get that, and I found I did not care enough to want to play the game.
on 11 April 2013
The game arrived quickly, new and sealed in cellophane wrapping.

Installation went smoothly on windows 7.

Unable to play online or sign into windows live to update the game automatically or record achievements as no serial number is supplied.

No update on the disk and had to manual search for the 160M file.

I emailed barcode bargains. and received the following reply.

"The game itself can be played by yourself as you will know without any further codes, and to access the online version this can be done simply by contacting the makers themselves
The details are below

The reason they did not add these codes in the box is because it was re-released item at a fantastic low price, hence the price you paid, and have introduced this way of getting the codes. It is a growing trend with older games that have been reissued, If you are ever unsure of this issue in the future for a game, feel free to email me and I will provide the answer for you" Alice barcode bargains.

This maybe true for old games, I don't know as I have not experienced it before, but as it's advertised as "Games for Windows LIVE" but not supplied with a code to access windows live I'm not over impressed.
22 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 March 2013
The effort and thought that has been put into the story, artwork and especially the audio for this game is really special. The game features the largest selection and variation of weapons I've come across, and I'd recommend you reading up and getting to grips with the options available to you early on so you don't miss out. I had a problem with the key mappings on the early levels, and had to re-map the action (pick-up) key every time I loaded the game. Not a major problem for me, but would have ruined the game if I'd not realised. Seemed to resolve itself after a few hours playing.
The final stages are pretty spectacular, and the artwork picture show had me glued right to the end of the credits.
on 19 May 2013
Great game, watch out for the swearing if you play it without headphones. What a pity Microsoft has to be involved. Install? No, you can install it but be prepared to fight if you want to play it. Why? Microsoft Live. Sign in to update.. No problem. Then it happens. "Please shut the game down to continue the update." Err, you can't shut the game down because the stupid message is in the way. Click to sign in and it tells you the update hasn't completed. Task Manager saves the day.
Still, Microsoft's big feet out of the way, and the game is superb. Even better than the original one. The game-play is smoother, the graphics, as expected, are much fancier and I found the controls easier fr some reason.
Got to hurry to complete it as there's another one available!
on 21 March 2013
Setting up this game is a pain. Unlike steam in which you can just create an account and get going, Windows live drags you through creating a windows live account and then making an account within that account! I used my account from a while ago, and because I am 16 I need my parents permission? So I tried to enter my gmail email but it will only work with hotmail accounts! If you want this game pirate it, Microsoft treat their customers like dirt.

Now there is no CD key! Apparently new copies of Bioshock 2 don't have them, you can play offline, however, you can't get any DLC's! This is awful! Either get it on Steam or pirate it.
on 16 February 2015
you will spend hours jumping through stupid hoops to sign up for services you don't want and are never going to use AND CAN@T SIGN FOR SINCE YOU DON'T RECEIVE A PRODUCT CODE!!!
this kills you and gaming, the stupidity of the games manufacturers...and dishonesty of BARCODE BARGAINS <THE SELLER> PLAYS A HUGE ROLE IN YOU NOT PLAYING AT ALL !!! HUGE WASTE OF TIME AND TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY.
on 11 May 2013
the product does not come with an activation code and is tricky to get started on windows 8. without an activation code you can only pay story but you cant save the games. therefore you have to complete it in one, however this became impossible for me as when i played 2 hours and got to a certain part, it froze on me and stopped responding. its not my laptop specifications as they are quite good, it might of been windows 8. if i was you id just get an xbox version unless you have a pc with amazing specs or spend a lil more money to get an activation code.

See one answered question