on 31 July 2008
This little camera is fantastic value.

The optical zoom is easy to use and extremely good. In general it is a very simple to get to grips with and take great shots. My needs were simple I wanted a camera that I could take good quality pictures yet I could not justify spending a fortune on a true SLR camera. This little fuji ticks all the boxes.

You can use it in automatic mode or of course in manual as well as stages in between. It is less bulky than the SLR camera. I thought that I could always get a snap using my phone camera but wanted something that I could take out specifically to take quality shots. What I can say it is the best camera I have owned, even comparing it to my Nikon F50 35mm which I adore. The S5700 is worth every penny.

In general you do not need to spend a fortune on the SD card I bought a 1GB and download all my images after each excursion. I have never come close to filling the memory and I use it on its maximum setting for detail. I seem to singing this little fuji's praises. Well it is good.

In terms of the software it comes with it is OK but I tend not to use. I merely mention this and it does not detract from the camera or its usage in the field or in your home studio e.g. your PC.
on 15 October 2008
Fuji FinePix S5700 Digital Camera - Black (7.0MP, 10x Optical Zoom) 2.5" LCD
This camera has been a joy to use; it goes everywhere with me and has taken thousands of photograghs to complete a catalogue of high quality images which can be very useful in my work. I also bought a media card and reader to complete the package and would recommend this as you will soon use up the memory in the camera.
It is excellent in low light conditions. I have owned this camera for about a year and still think it is very good value for money. Well Done Fuji!

Just an additional piece of information for those of you who may be interested in the longevity of this model. I used this product until it expired recently in December 2012 though it still comes to life again if I give it a rest. It was a good introduction to digital photography and has been replaced with another more powerful camera but I have to say that this little camera has been really good value for money; it has never given me any cause to complain. It has been a simple, cross over camera which has done what was expected. I counted the number of photographs it had taken in its life and I stopped counting after 30,000.
Would definitely buy another Fuji based on the experience I have had with this. My Fuji has returned to work after a good clean and is working as hard as it ever did. Still in good working order today 25/0213.
on 13 October 2008
I can only agree with the review above - I wanted to upgrade my little digital camera with something a bit more interesting, but as with the reviewer above could not justify a digital SLR. So this is great, especially for the price. Plenty of space on a 1GB card, I haven't used the software that came with it, but probably will when I get a few mins to try. The zoom is great, there are lots of auto & manual features I haven't tried yet, the stabilisation feature works well (all my pics are sharp even though I am a bit shaky!), there is a really good B&W option and the video function works well. I got a case for it from Wilkos for about £3, it's a shame it didn't come with something cheap & cheerful, but then it's always out being used anyway so maybe that is why!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 9 November 2009
I bought the black version of this little camera about three years ago and it has been the best value buy I think I have ever purchased. I am an avid Youtuber (Maybrick44 if you want to check out some video's taken with this camera) and so this camera has had a lot of use in all weathers. It takes great quality films for its size and good quality pictures to. I am no whizz kid with technical equipment either so I am unable to use this to get the best out of it but, even as a 'point and click' merchant, I have taken some great pics.

Like all of the modern stuff these days, it isn't straight forward to get used to at first and you can get your settings mixed up if you don't know what you are doing. This said however, there is a handy 'reset' setting that can get you out of trouble and return the camera to its original settings (ideal for 'point and clickers!') There are a few drawbacks with the camera but nothing major. For example, when taking pictures at 7 mega pixels, the camera takes a while to process your shots. This means that you are unable to shoot a succession of shots quickly. I also find that the 10X Zoom is occasionally insufficient but lets be fair here we are talking about a cheap camera! You will spend quite a bit of money on batteries if you take a lot of film but I reckon I get around 2-3 hours of footage for a set of Duracell batteries which isn't bad really.

Once you do get used to using this, you will be keen to get out and use it. Believe me, if a technophobic like me can learn to use this to ANY degree it must be user friendly! HA HA

No, I have taken thousands of pictures and hundreds of films with this and would not hesitate to buy another should anything happen to mine.

A real bargain.
on 22 October 2008
What can I say? This is an amazing camera and a brilliant price. It takes wonderful photos and is very simple to use. I can't think of any downsides to it, it is just amazing!
on 13 January 2009
This was bought as a Christmas present & it is a fantastic little camera. There are lots of features on it that you would expect to find on an SLR camera but without the hefty price tag. It is easy to use (i'm a techno phobe!) & takes amazing photos. I recently purchased a 2GB memory card & card reader which helps save on battery consumption but on saying that, i am still using the batteries it came with and i have taken well over 200 photos (with flash on a lot of them) so cant complain about battery life as yet. As with all digital cameras, i would recommend a set of rechargable batteries although the manual suggests that it will take approx 300 photos with alkaline batteries (not tested that out yet). I havent used the software that came with this camera (i have my own photo software) & am using Vista without any problems. At this price, a great buy.
on 10 January 2009
I am a complete novice at photography. Know nothing!! I needed a camera to take close up pictures of miniatures (1:12 scale) and this fab camera does the job better than I expected!!

I mostly use "Auto" and this does for ALL my needs.

If you are an amateur but need something more than a point and shoot - this is for you.

It is so easy to use. I love it!
on 23 January 2010
Excellent model for the price. Fujifilm also provide excellent customer service via their website, truly amazing people.

The only negatives are that it is battery power hungry when using the flash and higher resolutions, and on my model the flash fails to pop up when required due to it sticking on occasion.... but other wise it is sturdy, easy to use and the picture quality it gives is excellent.
on 1 February 2009
I bought this product mainly to utilise the 10x zoom as I am attempting some distance photography, but don't want to shell out £1000'S on sophisticated camera kit. There is some quality deterioration on max zoom but that could also be down to my technique. On the whole I am quite satisfied and I think I will probably improve. We get what we pay for and I think this is value for money.
on 8 February 2009
I had a lovely vivitar camera that never let me down, until I took it on holiday to spain. I had to use my phone to take pics and decided I really wanted another straight forward digital camera for as little as possible. I found the Fuji S5700 for £75 yes £75 and hoped it would be easy to use. I have to say its easy to take shots or videos, can be set up and snapping within minutes. The battery lasts much longer and quality photographs are guaranteed.

I recommend this camera for anyone who wants to step up a touch and produce better photos.