Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 December 2015
I'm relatively new to The Wave Pictures music, in fact it was only after stumbling into a small gig in Edinburgh whilst on a road trip for my 40th, featuring Stanley Brinks and Freschard, that I heard the name of the band mentioned (they are big collaborators).
Anyway, my friend and I consider ourselves to be 'song collectors' (strokes bushy eyebrow with saliva moistened finger).
We search under rocks the universe wide, trying to wow each other with diverse compilations of music that barely anyone has heard of; under appreciated gems that would otherwise fall through the cracks...
So it was that whilst compiling one of said comps, I remembered the name 'The Wave Pictures', by some coincidence the first song I heard was 'I love you like a madman' - which to my ears is a striking piece of genius -still my fav song by the boys. The lyrics are everyday and somewhat understated, but pure brilliance...("I'll buy you bra's instead of pickled eggs, chocolates instead of chutney, good red wine instead of bad red wine next time I remember your birthday")
I highly recommend this song as an introduction to anyone who fancies dipping their toe into 'The Waves' hahum.
Some of the other songs can be harder to access and take more time to appreciate...however, just buy it - it's 'REAL' music and that's something profoundly special in our deliciously evolved Xcraptor generation
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 December 2015
Dave Tattersall & Co.’s 2008 album is a delightful affair. With a sound quality a long way from 2015’s polished (and loud) Great Big Flamingo Burning Moon, the feeling that Instant Coffee Baby may have been recorded in someone’s front room soon becomes highly appropriate to what is an intimate, quirky collection of songs, mixing Tattersall’s idiosyncratic lyrics (a big plus for me), with some infectious melodies, in a style I’d probably not really heard much of since the likes of Jonathan Richman in his heyday.

Tattersall coaxes us into his small-town tales of romance, isolation and matters domestic, via some folksy (often acoustic guitar-led) rhythms and melodies, with his distinctive, more up-front, extended guitar parts (prevalent on the later City Forgiveness and Flamingo) toned down to the odd delightful solo (on Kiss Me, Red Wine Teeth and the album’s title song). Particularly impressive are the up-tempo opener Leave The Scene Behind and Strange Fruit For David (which includes Tattersall’s apparent, unique take on existentialism, 'A sculpture is a sculpture, marmalade is marmalade, and a sculpture of marmalade is a sculpture, but it isn’t marmalade’). Strange Fruit makes particularly good use of Dan Mayfield’s violin, an expanded band sound which also works well with Aki Paivarinne’s saxophone on the marvellous I Love You Like A Madman. In fact, all the songs here eventually reveal their qualities – subtle ballads such as Avocado Baby and January And December being good examples – making for a very satisfying listen.
on 29 June 2011
This bunch are the only band I know from the Leicestershire Wolds. And by the sound of it they are a bunch of nutters out there, living on the fringe of civilised Loughborough. What am I saying? According to frontman and lyricist David Tattersall, a man who is wonderfully unhinged, Loughborough is as rough as houses. And the women in Walton-on-the-Wolds sound frightening! Tattersall's neck of the woods is often name-checked in his rich tales of life's underbelly; his warped sense of humour make this an album to treasure. Yet despite his stinging denigration of the area, I get the impression that these songs are his terms of endearment for The Wolds, his maps of meaning within a wider universe. Uniquely British in flavour, this set is up there with "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not" in terms of social commentary. Tattersall's sharp observations have drawn comparisons to Hefner. I must also mention the laugh-out-loud lyrics on "I Love You Like a Madman", a track that deploys the best brass within an indie-alternative framework since Blaggers ITA on "Abandon Ship." This lot should be as massive as the Arctic Monkeys.
on 31 August 2011
I bought this album on the strength of some good things said about the band by Marc Riley. I didn't really know which album to go for, so I just guessed based on reviews. I've had it a while now, but don't really listen to it that much.

It starts really well, which always makes me wonder why I don't put it on that often. I really enjoy the first few songs, but slowly it starts to become more and more difficult to listen to - until the point where I usually stop what I'm doing and stare at the hi-fi in disbelief. I find the lyrics become very difficult to listen to and they ultimately become a distraction. I read someone on here praise the lyrics. Maybe there are some great lyrics, but perhaps they are better suited to spoken-word ideas that musical ones. It's almost as though they bend the music to the lyrics - some 'chorus hook-lines' can be painfully long.

Maybe I just don't get it. Maybe they're a great band to see live. I don't know. I just know that I bought this cd and don't listen to it very often. I have tried, but it's a difficult one for me. I gave it 3 stars because there are some good tracks at the beginning of the album.
on 13 January 2009
It's always refreshing to hear bands who put real effort into their music and Wave Pictures are definitely one of them.

Lyrically, they are superb, and there are plenty of genuine laugh out loud moments on "Instant Coffee Baby". We hear about how the singer "picked a fight I couldn't finish /with a Marine from the village / he won" and how a girl made it back on her feet after falling and ripping her tights "with the girl from Baker's Oven holding back your hair". There are numerous other examples of this lyrical wizardry scattered throughout the album but to list them all would be over the top. You just need to hear it yourself.

However, the above is not to say that they are some kind of comedy band; far from it. Their lyrics are also tender and personal and often memorable.

Musically, yes there are similarities to Hefner, but I also hear in their music early Go-Betweens, Jonathan Richman, Violent Femmes, and also I Am Kloot. From that list, you will gather that the Wave Pictures often play a kind of acoustic based guitar folk pop, but that's not to say that these songs are minimal or stripped down; they are a full band and employ plenty of different instruments which are used energetically.

Stand out tracks are "Friday Night In Loughborough", which boasts fantastic "night out" lyrics that Arctic Monkeys would kill for and "I Love You Like A Madman" where singer David Tattersall hilariously wonders whether the Christmas presents he got for his girlfriend could have been improved!

There are too many highs on this album to mention them all; but anyone with an interest in witty and intelligent music should check this out.
on 21 May 2009
What an album. 13 tracks of lo-fi catchy pop perfection, the closest thing in quality to hefner at their pomp. not a bad song on here and some fantastic lyrics with "a sculpture is a sclupture and marmalade is maramalade, but a sculpture made of maramalade is a sculpture and it isn't marmalade" is probably one of the best lyrics i've ever heard for a long while. The way they bring vivid images to your mind with every lyric is just brillent
on 26 June 2008
A great album. Probably the closest band I have heard to hefner (which is obviously a good thing!). Some great tracks; the only let down is a couple of pony tracks but otherwise one of the albums of the year.
on 18 April 2008
Lo-fi and lovely folk.

PS According to Moshi Moshi I think it's going to be called Instant Coffee Baby not Instant Coffee Morning.
on 7 June 2008
The best thing ive heard in 2008. Gorgeous, Lo-Fi beauty.Miss this band and LP at your peril!
This lp should come with a health warning 2nd listen and you will be hooked.
on 14 March 2015