Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 31 May 2008
Confession time. I haven't seen one frame of the TV series this album is lifted from ( I mean to put that erroneous oversight right by the way) Consequently I come at this album from a completely fresh perspective and judge it just on the strength of the songs.
These are parodies done in various styles - rap, R & B , singer songwriter and so on and are not only spot on musically with fulsome melodies and erudite arrangements but brilliant lyrically . You will laugh ...a lot. I was painting the first time I listened to this album and one couplet made me laugh so hard I dripped paint over the carpet , missing the dustsheet I had meticulously laid down. Thanks a lot guys.
It's all quality stuff but the highlights for me include the Pet Shop Boys pastiche "Inner City Pressure " ( "The manager Bevan starts to abuse me , chill out man I just want some muesli ".The bass line , widescreen synths and the use of the line "You just stand there" are uncanny. The rap p**s take "Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenocerous" has priceless lines like "My lines are so potent they end this small segment and made all of the ladies in the area pregnant./Yeah sometimes my lyrics are sexist but all you lovely bitches should know I'm trying to correct this". It's "Motherflippin" ace.
On the earnest R&B overload of "Think About It" kids are killing each other with knifes and forks and getting disease from monkeys. "Ladies Of The World" is a flawless parody of smooth contemporary soul leading into the profane hard edged rap hilarity of "Mutha,uckas" . "The Prince Of Parties" is a wonderfully observed rip off of 60,s psychedelic music . I'm not entirely sure what "Leggy Blond" is pastiching - though over intense singer songwriters would be my guess. "Robot Boom " is a superb and blatant Kraftwerk caricature where it's the year 2000 and there are no more humans-"We used poisonous gases and poisoned their asses" -or elephants and "We no longer say yes we say affirmative/ Yes......I mean affir... affirmative " .
"Boom" rips the p*** out of ragga before the positively identified singer songwriter tones of "A Kiss Is Not A Contract" but it is "very nice". "Business Time" is an approximation of Outkast and 70,s loved up funk. "Bowie" not surprisingly extracts the urine out of the great man right down to the slightly warbly voice. It's actually, for me the funniest thing on here ."This is Bowie to Bowie" he intones " Does the cold of deep space make your nipples all pointy Bowie?" /Do you use your nipples as space antenna to transmit data Bowie?". The "Lets Dance" segue is fantastically done.
Flight Of The Conchords is extremely silly and out of context from the series might not have worked as a stand alone album . But speaking , again, as someone who has only heard this music out of context of the TV series I've got to say it does work , indeed it works superbly . It is meticulously observed and sounds ridiculously easy but probably isn't .These are gifted musicians with a forensic eye for the absurd. The Conchords really hit the heights .Just don,t listen to it while painting .
VINE VOICEon 24 May 2008
The Flight of The Conchords TV series was perhaps the one thing since Peep Show that I simply had to watch every week. Of course I didn't actually watch it every week as my attention span simply doesn't extend that far; I did buy the DVD though and watched the entire series over a weekend.

I don't throw this word about with gay abandon, but on this occasion it's more than justified. Flight of The Conchords was/is GENIUS. Quite apart from it being the funniest thing on TV, it's musical parodies were so spot on that you couldn't help but laugh. This CD brings the best of them to your home CD player in crystal clear stereo.

Be it the Pet Shop Boys stylings of Inner City Pressure, the Barry White-aping Buisness Time, the French Bossanova of Foux du Fafa or the Kraftwerk-baiting Robots, virtually every song hits that sweet spot. It's funny AND musically accomplished.

Of course I would have to admit that it's not quite the same as watching it on TV or catching their side-splitting stage show but if it falls short from the genius on display there, its only by the merest of fractions. As funny as it is catchy, this is simply sublime.

The only reason it's four stars not five is that it can't quite match the TV series.
on 9 March 2009
Brett and Jermain can do little wrong and this soundtrack is a musthave for any FOTC fan.

Positives:
a) A lot of very funny and intelligent tracks that you can sing along to

Negatives:
a) Couple of glaring ommissions i.e. If you're into it, Sello-tape.
b) Slightly different words to that on the series/live shows. Not really a negative but some bits I liked from the live shows weren't on the cd ("Team-Building Exercise 99 from Business Time is different on the cd for example)
c) Bonus track is about 10secs long and is hardly a bonus.

Verdict:
Very good and don't regret buying it for a second. Get the feeling though, that the songs date to before they became a global success and any updates, modifications were not added to this cd which is slightly disappointing as well as some missing favourites. Altogether a good but not excellent album.
on 10 August 2014
Five stars if you have seen the series, four stars if not. It works as a parody of song styles with some added depth (A Kiss is Not a Contract is both funny and a thoughtful treatment of consent) but if you have seen the series then you will also have the scenes where these songs happen in your head. Although it drags a little in places and there is a bit too much falsetto at points, there is a variety that should make sure everyone has a favourite. I wouldn't be able to decide between Rhys Darby's impassioned and shallow singing about the leggy blonde, the acid trip rip-off Prince of Parties or that wonderful hymn of faint praise The Most Beautiful Girl in the Room. Then again there's the mocking of French songs in Foux de Fafa, the demand of 'hey man I just want to buy museli' in Inner City Pressure and the completely barmy rap battle with the Rhymenoceros and Hiphopapotamus. Completely barmy and I will be laughing again and again.
on 24 January 2015
I cannot listen to this enough - I was listening on headphones whilst on my way to picking up my kids from school and was literally giggling all the way - I must appear mad. Their lyrics are inspired!
on 19 July 2008
I'm disappointed some of the best songs are missing:

Sellotape (Pencils In The Wind)
If You're Into It
Bret, You've Got It Going On
on 30 January 2009
If you watched Flight of the Conchords and lurved it as I (and any other intelligent person) would, this album is great! It has a good variety of songs from all through the series. The only ones that I miss are "Bret, You've Got It Going On" and "If You Want Me To" but the rest are so good, you hardly notice. If you haven't seen the series - which I highly recommend as it is well worth it Flight Of The Conchords: The Complete HBO First Season - I'm 100% positive that you will still really enjoy the album. Bret and Jermaine (the songwriters and singers) are very very funny and pretty soon you'll know every single word!
This is a must must must buy for anyone!
Buy it. You'll love it. I loved it so much that I have bought it as a gift for just about every one of my friends; some of them have even received it twice.
Listen to it a hundred times and there'll still be new things that you spot and laugh at.
on 26 June 2008
I have only seen glimpses of the TV series, but no matter. This a wonderfully silly album combining very witty lyrics, with accurately observed pastiches of every genre of music.

The standout track initially is "It's partytime", in which a self-delusional "luvvaman" serenades his "wo'man". It's the last time I'll ever try to seduce my wife wearing just my black socks!

The other tracks bear repeated listening, and the joys of the wonderfully crafted lyrics are soon to be relished and enjoyed.

BUY IT!
on 7 May 2008
perfect album, but I'm hopng the reason they omitted some of the other great songs from the series is because they are planning a second album (probably at the end of the next series so it'll be a long way off).
Notable exclusions being - 'If you're in to it', 'Frodo, dont wear the ring', 'song for sally' and 'doggy bounce'. You can pick a couple of these tracks up on the 'Distant Future' EP.
Still, this album is fantastic and will have you laughing to yourself on the train all the way to the office.