on 17 February 2009
Like another reviewer I received a completely Stainless Steel Version.You fill the little jug with water up to the mark that corresponds to the number of eggs you are cooking and how you want them.Pierce the large end of the eggs using the egg piercer on the egg holding ring,put in the water and switch on.When done an audible buzzer goes off.First go my eggs came out after a short time perfectly cooked as per the soft boiled option.I found this device a delight and am extremely pleased with it.
on 27 January 2014
I bought one before Christmas and ended up buying three more as gifts for others. I use it daily and here are some tips.

This device saves a lot of money because it only steams up a very small amount of water for the whole task when compared with boiling a lot of water in a pan. However here are some tips to get the best results.

1. When pouring water using the measuring cup please make sure the water does not fall on the black tray as the amount of water used is so little. It can make a huge difference to the soft/hard level. May be that is why someone has criticised it. Better to pour the water BEFORE placing the black tray.

2. Do not use the pin located underneath the measuring cup to pierce the eggs as advised. It is supposed to release pressure instead egg whites come through. I have tried boiling eggs without piercing and they have been fine.

3. The circular grove around the black tray is not sufficiently deep enough to capture all the condensed steam that filters down. That means a little condensed steam leaks on to the table surface through the handle. I turned the tray upside down with the spikes showing upwards as the grove on that side is deeper which gave very good results. I don't have water leaks any more.

4. Be careful of using the recommended amount of water as the soft/hard level can also be dependent on the size of the eggs. I use extra large eggs so I use the water level for 1 egg for my two eggs.

5. Here is something that puzzles me. The instructions and the measuring cup state the more eggs used the less water that should be used! I can understand using the same amount of water or more but not less water. It is the same instructions with other egg boilers. I cannot experiment with more eggs to test this out as yet as I am single. May be someone can try it and explain the logic.

6. I am very happy with the device and so are the others. However, the price has been going up gradually. I bought it for £9.99 but within three months it had climbed to £14.99. You can buy others for less from Amazon. That is why i haven't given it 5 stars.

Goo luck.
1616 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2008
It works nicely. Solid white and nice and gooey on the inside.
Get the water level right and you are on to a winner, just don't forget to take them out or you will have hard boiled egg sarnies for lunch.

on 7 August 2009
Depite being an accomplished cook, I struggle to boil an egg. Sad I know!

So delighted to find this amazing easy foolproof egg boiler, which gives awesome results every time. Contains a handy cup and egg pricker, which you measure the water you need for the egg softness you want. Liking mine quite runny, I always estimate slightly less water than it says for perfect results. (So if it says 4 eggs, soft, I 'pretend' I have put 5 eggs in and add a little less water.
Nice loud buzz to finish, and a reliable boiled egg every time.

P.S. Do remember to wash the base out every time, and wipe with a little oil to retain the non stick finish as the egg residue can burn.
55 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 June 2009
It's a fabulous little gizmo....
My one (ok, one and a bit) criticisms would be that the cup really needs to have far better, more legible markings. They are extremely faint, and if you're short-sighted, dreadfully indistinct. The division between one marking and the next is also so minimal, it's really hard to get an accurate level.

The pin with which to prick the eggs, is - pardon the pun - pointless.
You'd be much better just piercing BOTH ends of the eggs with the tip of a sharp knife, than trying to use the integral pin on the egg-holder.

Make sure your eggs are at room temperature too. if you use eggs direct from the fridge, they're too cold, and they crack... the mess is a pain to clear up afterwards.....

But it does the job well!
on 15 August 2016
Please take note, I purchased this egg boiler in Oct 15, it melted in Aug 16. It's in warranty but that's not the issue, it melted that's the issue. Either the buzzer didn't go off and it over heated and melted and buckled or it melted and buckled and the buzzer was affected but whatever happened it seem extremely dangerous. I would have expected it to blow the fuse before it started to buckle, it was not left on for a prolonged period as we were waiting for the buzzer to go off. Very disappointed as my previous egg boiler (not this make) lasted for eight years before going a little brittle for use.
review image review image
on 15 January 2016
I find this great and makes boiled eggs so super easy. The water measurement device is quite accurate and means I can cook my eggs exactly how I like them with very little thought (better in this respect than the old egg boiler I had).
on 14 April 2016
Like it a lot. I never got eggs boiled just right in a saucepan. This does the job.

Don't walk away from it. It won't damage itself but your eggs need whipping out immediately the good loud buzzer goes

One small gripe: in a hard water area you will get a small clay deposit on the surface once water boils off. Once the area has cooled this can be wiped off with a wet cloth therefore....

Men - read the instructions - even if you have to go a hide somewhere to do it so you can pretend that you haven't.
on 12 January 2016
I used this 3 times in the first 2 days! Great product. Don't really need to pierce the egg as recommended as i find it works better with the egg placed in unpierced. Also have to adjust the water in the measuring cup if you are not using large eggs. A couple of trial runs and you should be good to go!
on 10 May 2016
This is the same egg boiler I use in my workplace, it is really good value for money and does what it says on the tin. The supplied instructions are clear and easy to read. I have found that the measuring cup comes in handy and it is easy to get the eggs just right. I am happy with the product and I know it last well s we have had the one in work for months being used every day. It makes a buzzing sound when the eggs are finished which is useful so they wont get ruined.