I've been waiting for some time for lcd frames to come down in price and be offered by major manufactures at a reasonable price. This had now happened with Amazon and the Philips digital frame. The colour/image quality is very good and the interface intuitive - in essence you don't need to read the instruction manual. There are some downs, but at the price, you should live with these. Most notable, there is very very little internal storage so you need to use a memory card with the frame. This is probably currently in your digital camera so you'll need to buy a new one. These are very cheap though starting at far less than £10.

My advice is to buy this now.
0Comment| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2008
Like the previous reviewer, I've been looking at digital frames for a while now. There is a lot of rubbish out there, so be careful what you choose. This particular frame is of a lower build quality than some of Philips' more expensive frames being made almost entirely of plastic, but it certainly doesn't look cheap. The picture quality is perfectly adequate. The display is not the highest of resolutions, but there is little to complain about - I'd maybe gripe about the slightly clunky transition effects if I were being pedantic.

The frame does actually have a small amount of internal memory, so if you're only looking to store a handful of images you won't need an additional memory card. You can simply copy images from your camera's SD card or a USB stick to the frame itself. Most of the available space is initially taken up with sample images provided by Philips, so you would want to delete these. Unfortunately you won't be able to delete all of them because a bug in the firmware prevents you removing one. A firmware patch should have been available in October apparently but I was unable to find it on the Philips website. That said, the easiest thing to do is pop in a cheap SD card (you can get them for less than a fiver) and copy images straight from your PC to the frame using the USB cable provided. You don't even need to install any software; your PC will recognise the SD card as another drive, and the frame acts as a card reader/writer. Just drag and drop. Easy! You can also delete, add effects, and perform some minor edits using the frame itself.

At this price, there is no reason why you wouldn't want to buy this.
22 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 November 2008
I hadn't tried a digital photoframe before, so bought with some trepidation. It was actually better than expected, and easy to use.. i plugged in the power and memory stick of photos, and it was fully operational straight away.
0Comment| 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 December 2008
This product works ok, but potential buyers should be aware of these issues:

1. The auto-orientation feature does not seem to work at all, despite me checking that it is enabled and resaving the settings several times. All of my portrait photos were displayed on their side. Maybe I've not set it up correctly.

2. There should be more photo alignment choices. The auto-fit option flattens standard photos quite a lot, while the other options leave space on either side of the photo. I think it could do with auto-fit vertical and auto-fit horizontal features to remedy this.

Apart from this it seems to work fine.
VINE VOICEon 22 October 2008
Brilliant price for a Philips photo frame. It looks great in it's packaging when it arrived and I have it working already. I've had a Philips frame before and it looks great in my living room but wanted to have another for the study. At this price I think I'll be buying another one to give as a Christmas present.
0Comment| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 January 2009
Don't waste your money on this frame.

Resolution is awful, but that's not so bad as it wouldn't really be that noticeable from a distance.

What's really annoyed me is the fact that this frame will not display your photos on the full width of the screen. Yes you can tell it to stretch the photos to fit the screen, but then everything in the photo is out of proportion. The only solution is to display the photos in original ratio on about 2/3 of the screen. I would have expected the frame to automatically crop the photo to fit on the screen without messing up the proportions.

I expected better from Philips. Very disappointed.
on 8 January 2009
Philips 7FF3FPB/05 7" Digital PhotoFrame
Nice screen let down by the technical bits.

The buttons on the back are not intuitive at all - there are two menu buttons and I couldn't remember which one controlled which functions without looking at the instructions every time, even though I like gadgets and usually find them easy to use. All the buttons are flimsy and unpredictable - sometimes you press and nothing happens, other times they activate twice or more.

The controls appear to allow you to vary the slideshow change rate from 1 second up to several minutes, but the frame just ignores this and changes the picture every 1-3 seconds regardless.

Try another model would be my advice. I sent mine back
on 29 January 2009
I was really disappointed with this frame and returned it back. Two reasons:

1) The frame had no option for keeping an aspect ratio of pictures. I put a lot of effort to resize or crop the pictures, but even when properly cropped they seemed to be distorted.
2) The LCD quality was poor and it was only possible to look at a picture from a distance.

Eventually I bought a Sony frame which was twice as expensive, but that was the only one that met my expectations.
on 11 December 2008
I got this digital photo frame at the same time of another less famous brand -the latter for half the price!- and was surprised about the low quality of the Phillips one. You can actually see the pixels in the pictures and the images get distorted in the screen (sometimes too wide or too narrow).

I tried the exact same pictures on the other product and they looked OK, full of color, no pixels on sight and the photos looked just the way they did in my computer.

Thankfully, I asked beforehand if I could return any of the products and that is exactly what I am doing tomorrow. Plus, the way the product look isn't great, it is very small and it doesn't look sophisticated at all. And in case you need to use a USB port, it will horribly stick out of the frame.

The only good thing is that the navigation is very intuitive. You in fact don't need to read the instructions. But what is the whole point if the pictures will look bad anyway???
on 10 December 2008
nice looking frame from a well known manufacturer, picture quality is very good on the 7inch frame, nice black surrounding and easy to use buttons on the rear.... i ended up buying 3 of these for xmas presents this year (one to myself) can take a variety of memory card up to 4gb (i think). also has side slot for usb memory sticks.

the only downside is the menu can be a little slow when deleting photos.