VINE VOICEon 21 May 2008
Being that our birthdays are three days apart, I feel that I've found a kindred spirit in Jen Lancaster; both of us could do with losing a few pounds; neither of us know when to shut up; and both of us are driven mad by (but love) life in a big city.

Jen is nothing if not honest about herself. She admits to being unhealthily competitive, narcissistic, self-indulgent and overweight, but there is something wonderfully refreshing about this. Not only is she happy with who she is - she's proud of it!

Each chapter in the book deals with a specific incident or topic ranging from Jacuzzi etiquette to tips on how to deal with telesales people, from her feelings about people using mobile phones in supermarkets to the lengths she will go to avoid gynaecological appointments!

I think you'll either love her or hate her, but I doubt she'd care either way!
on 14 February 2012
You may also read my review here: [...]

When a book starts off by telling Carrie Bradshaw (Sex and the City) to go 'suck an egg' (in not so many nice words), you just have to know that you're in for a treat... and what an amazing one this was. Bright Lights, Big Ass had me laughing-out-loud in so many chapters that people were starting to get my application to the local funny-farm ready. It was really rather embarrassing! Seriously... I'm not kidding.

This is not my first Jen Lancaster book and in fact, it appears that I am reading her backwards, but it doesn't seem to matter. She is so friggin' hilarious that I could read her stories again, and again, and again. I actually found myself telling my husband that I want to be her friend. Her narcissistic personality is the reason that she makes me laugh... I think that those who have the same personality just get it and she, my friends, understands!

One of my favourite things about Jen Lancaster and her writing style is that she tells is like it is. There is no sugar-coating, it is how it is and that's just the way it's going to be. She has such a way with her words that I could imagine myself in so many of the scenarios that she found herself in... especially the day-spa and the 'brown-star'. OMG, still laughing!! (Oops, sorry... Oh My Goodness)

While reading this book, my husband actually told me it was like listening to her book on tape because I 'never.shut.up' the whole time... constantly reading parts to him. Now, if that doesn't say something about the book, nothing will!! It was AWESOME!

So, if you like memoirs... pick up this book and I promise, you will NOT regret it!!
on 8 July 2008
This Book is another must read!! It is so hard not to laugh out loud when you read Mrs Lancaster's world of fun! If you are from Chicago or any big city for that matter you will find yourself right at home.
Don't miss out!
on 8 August 2016
Another witty book; very much in the style of the previous book from this author I had already read "Bitter is the new Black".