on 18 October 2013
I purchased this battery as a back up for my original canon NB-6L which is authentic as it came with my new camera. I had read the reviews which were mixed and decided to go ahead. Upon receiving the battery I inspected it and compared it to my original battery, it does indeed seem a fake copy. As one previous reviewer has stated the battery states made in china, but the packaging says, Japan. The English writing is poorly worded, i.e., accessory s ( accessories) openrating instructions(operating)instructions, digita camer s ( digital cameras), I am appalled that amazon is continuing to sell these products, as this could be extremely dangerous. The battery itself does not look exactly like my original the shape is slightly different as well as the Canon name on the battery, I understand that amazon are fulfilling these orders for another seller. I would definitely not recommend this product, and have informed amazon that I am requesting a refund and that the reason is that the product is not genuine. I hope this helps and saves the next person from making my mistake.
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 October 2012
My wife has the Canon SX500 IS 30x zoom camera which takes this thin Canon Li-ion NB-6L battery. I was going to get a decent WEISS NB-6L battery (rated 1000 mAh 3.0 Wh) as a spare, but saw this Canon original one going for £5 more and decided to get it instead. This Canon battery is very similar in power to the Weiss at 1000 mAh 3.5 Wh. I'm sure the cheaper Weiss would have been fine, but for around £30 direct from Amazon this Canon battery seemed a safe buy. My battery was supplied directly from Amazon (not 'fulfilled by Amazon' or a reseller) and the blister pack had the small official holographic seal on it (in gold with the words Genuine, Canon, and the wavy lines, see Canons web pages on fakes: "the hologram's colour changes from gold to a greenish tint when tilted from a front-on to a horizontal position. If this colour transition does not occur, the hologram is a fake"), so the battery I received direct from Amazon was a genuine Canon one.

It works perfectly in our Canon SX500 IS camera as would be expected. A spare NB-6L battery is pretty essential for our SX500 IS camera as the small battery only lasts for around 200 shots. Unlike the Weiss battery's two year warranty, this Canon NB-6L one only seems to have a one year warranty though. Had it over fifteen months now and the battery is still working perfectly. When Amazon isn't selling this battery directly and the price is low I would be tempted to look for the Weiss alternative instead, although if 'fulfilled by Amazon' the return process for any suspicious battery is quite easy (if inconvenient). Nearly two years on our battery is still working perfectly.
11 Comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 October 2013
I bough this battery as I wanted a genuine canon part, for peace of mind. But unfortunately, upon receiving the battery today, I believe it to be a fake.

The packaging is poor quality with dreadful spelling mistakes throughout the English sections of text. It does have a hologram on the package, but if they can fake a battery, I'm pretty sure they can fake a hologram.

The packaging says 'Made in Japan' but the battery says 'Made in China'.

The Battery itself at first glance looks very similar to the original that came with my camera, but upon closer inspection quite a few differences become apparent, Such as the quality of the plastic and the wrapper.
The original had a seam that ran around the top, but this one was one molded lump. And some of the writing was different.

Strangely before I placed the order with a marketplace trader (but fulfilled by Amazon) I checked out their ratings and was reassured by 100% feedback and multiple reviews. But just now as I have started to return process, I went back to re-read the reviews only to discover that the seller is not the same as the one I thought I was buying from! My purchase shows that my item was supplied by 'Picturexpress' who only has 1 feedback ever?? and isn't even a listed seller today (I only placed the order yesterday with my prime membership).
on 4 December 2013
I bought this battery as a second battery when I purchased my Canon camera in June 2013, thinking it was worth spending the extra money to get a good battery and expecting to get the genuine article. It appears different from the original Canon battery supplied with the camera and now, after 5 months, will hardly hold any charge. Immediately after charging it last weekend I was able to take 4 photographs before the camera said it needed re-charging. It will not store charge for any length of time so it is always flat when I want to change batteries. A total waste of money.
on 2 July 2015
I think that judging by battery life compared to the battery that came with my original canon camera, it is a fake or faulty. My experience of battery life failing has been that it is normally a fake battery and not a genuine Canon product as advertised. It all looks like a Canon battery but if you want the full battery expectancy, it is probably better to go to a reputable Canon dealer shop and buy from there.
on 14 January 2014
Ok the price is reasonable, but, as others have said, I do wonder if this really can be an original product. The packaging looks authentic, but the plastic wraparound sticker (with some French accents missing I noticed) on the item itself contrasts with that on the battery supplied with the camera, and you can see that there is other printing (directly on the battery case) underneath the applied sticker. Also the point that has been made about the actual construction (no seam on this one where there is on the original) is relevant.

Now the multi-language Canon instructional sheet included in the packaging is actually dated 2002, so I suppose it is feasible that this item is 'old' stock and that the design may have been updated slightly by Canon in the interim.

I have not as yet put the item to any kind of usage comparison test in the camera itself.
on 19 May 2012
I bought this to provide extended battery life for my Canon S90 while travelling around New Zealand.

It's done a great job providing hours of extra life when I've ran out of battery or forgotten to charge my main battery.

Due to their small size these batteries are easy to carry around, I was able to fit my S90 and this spare battery into a Lowepro Rezo 15 Camera Pouch which is also highly recommended.

Lowepro Rezo 15 Digital Camera Pouch To Fit Canon Ixus 80,Ixus 85, Ixus 95, Ixus 100, Sony Cybershot W180, W210,W220, W270 and Panasonic FS15, , Samsung ES15, ES55 and Fuji J30 - Black
on 2 January 2014
It appears to be a genuine Canon product, but spotting a counterfeit these days is harder than trying to verify provenance of a lost Rembrandt. It's early days, but it seems to hold a charge as long as the battery supplied with the camera. Will report back if performance drops off.
on 9 July 2011
... what more can be said but its an original canon battery and it works as it should. Bit pricey but experience with OEM batteries makes it a bit of a lottery so decided to pay full whack and get an original.
on 8 December 2013
Purchased this battery from this company and two months later it was no longer working. It shows that is fully charged however when I place it in the camera it does not work. Other batteries function in the same camera. A bit of the back cover seems to be peeling off. Can I return it? If so can you send me your address.