Customer reviews

Style: Parallel Port|Change

on 15 April 2017
As of initial installation (easy on Win7, you don't need the included disk or any visits to TP-Link website) it does work with my elderly Samsung Ml-1210 laser, but I'm already expecting trouble—at which point I'll come and modify this review ... or later, if I'm wrong, say nicer things.

The main concern is the web interface, and the fact that as soon as I set a new password, the device becomes completely inaccessible. The interface itself is poorly designed and buggy but it did at least allow me to set a new static IP address. The tendency to reboot for every single setting change, usually quite unnecessarily, isn't reassuring either. We have a small well-firewalled network so lack of a password isn't the end of the world, but with such poor attention to interface design and testing, instinct tells me other problems will reveal themselves soon enough.

Cheapness of manufacture is obvious, with both front and back of the device used for connections. It's more convenient and better for usability, but costs a little more, to put the USB, power and Ethernet sockets on the back and the status LEDS on the front, so with this device you know you're getting something of very modest quality right out of the box.

FYI, the default static IP for the device is 192.168.0.10. For most users, setting the device to accept DHCP addresses would probably be the best option.

Also, the Factory Reset, which is as usual a recessed button operated with a pencil tip or paperclip, doesn't work if the device is already on: you force a reset by switching off, then pressing and holding the Reset while simultaneously pushing in the DC power plug. Somewhat tricky and counter-intuitive and another poor design choice.
on 23 April 2017
Once set up, this works fine with our Windows 10 PCs.
Loses a star because the supplied documentation and installation disk haven't been updated since Win 7 and neither has the on-line product page. The supplied software does not install the server in a Win10 environment.

That said, setting up on Win10 is relatively straightforward but because Win10 uses TCPIP printing (don't understand the finer points of the distinction between this and Win8 myself, so won't try and explain here) the set up follows a different process to Win8. Win 10 is not difficult to install, but it first took a Google search to find the relevant FAQ in the TP LINK website and the explanation isn't perfect, but I was able to work it out.
TP-LINK needs to reword the wIn10 instructions and put the link prominently on the product page.
on 16 November 2010
I already had a print server which I used with wired and wireless connections from Linux, Win7 Premium and Mac OSX. However, it used ipp protocol which is most annoyingly absent from a new HP Netbook running Win7 Starter. This particular version of Win7, namely the "Win 7 Starter" which, increasingly, is common on Netbooks, lacks support for the "ipp" protocol. I spent ages trying to figure out why I couldn't print to my laser printer from my new netbook. Finally, I bought this print server hoping that it'd be compatible with Win7 Starter and lo and behold it is indeed working fine using TCP/IP and LPR. The gadget itself is very light and small but be warned: It comes with a European style 2-pin lumpy adapter which will require a UK adapter.
on 7 November 2010
Having looked for a print server for an ancient, but reliable, LaserJet 5L printer I finally decided to go for the TP-Link. I'd read reviews of other devices saying that they only supported one printer at a time, kept dropping off the network, were complex to setup, so I was a little nervous. I also have a very mixed set of machines, 2 XP, 1 Win 7 and 1 Mac, which also ruled out a number of other models. However, it all turned out to be pretty easy with this piece of kit. You will need a Windows machine (and yes, it supports Windows 7, which was good news). I simply plugged it into the back of the printer, put my network cable in and ran the installation disc. It does say for you to have the IP address of your router handy (it's usually 192.168.x.x and if you don't know it go into the router setup page, or look at the manufacturers website) and it then suggests an IP address for the printer on the network. It sounds complex, but it's really straight-forward. If you already had the printer installed on the machine, it detects it and that is pretty much it. If not (and I didn't), you install it using the 'Add Printer' menu (it says to install it as a local printer and to use LPT1, which works fine).

Setting up the Mac was even easier. The server has AppleTalk built into it, so just hitting the '+' button in 'Printer & Fax' menu brings it up as a printer to add, click on it, job done!

The XP machines were a little more involved, having to add the printer manually. You won't see it under 'network printers', instead you have to configure a port and type in the printer's IP address. Again, it's in the instructions (if a little buried in the manual), but it's simple to do when you know how.

Multiple machines can be on and all access the printer at the same time. There is a web interface where you can access reports such as what jobs were sent to the printer and when and set up detailed and complex parameters if that's your thing.

Print servers can be a little temperamental if you loose your internet connection, or re-boot your modem or router. It survived both.

All in all, simple, effective, cheaper than a lot of other models - what's not to like!
on 4 June 2017
After spending about 3 hours trying to get it to work and then a few emails to the maker I gave up and I'm sending it back. If like me you are use to plug in and go with apple then this is not for you, There maybe a way to get this up and running but I couldn't find it.
on 18 July 2017
As expected
on 10 February 2015
Just doesn't work, tried everything but device will not and cannot detect printer. Managed to get TP link installed and software working but besides that the device is useless.It definitely is not a print server.
on 23 June 2017
Work fine. Plug is for Americans though.
on 20 June 2017
NON UK PLUG
on 8 April 2014
It is a nice compact unit and I had no problems installing it for use with my XP & Win 7 computers but Win 8.1 was more of a trial.
Eventually I found a good driver and installed it and everything is now good. JCW