on 29 May 2017
great sing along
on 1 April 2017
trying to get this cd for a while happy to have it
on 2 October 2010
Occasionally I go through a lull where I'm not really "into" any particular music. During these times I tend to buy these sorts of compilation albums where the music is varied, where maybe I might discover some songs, or maybe even genres, I've not heard much of before.
I have a 1 hour round trip commute every weekday by car, so this one looked a decent buy.

Disc 1 starts up in lively fashion, gearing up with Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now". Minus the odd track, this disc is generally excellent. Disc 2 isn't so bad either, with some nice choices in Blondie's "One Way or Another" and the theme from Saxondale.

But unfortunately it's all downhill from there. Disc 3 is absolutely the worst. It is, bar the odd exceptions, 25 consecutive tracks of oldies. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the oldies, in fact I quite enjoy them, but in moderation. It's the way they dedicated the entire CD to it that just seems so lacking in creativity. Why not spread them out over a few discs?

Now, what I consider a good driving song may well differ from what you, or in this case, the CD compilers, consider a good driving song. But it just seems to me as though, particularly in Disc 3, they have just Googled songs with "car" or "drive" or "highway" etc in them, and randomly selected the ones that have been thrown up. That doesn't necessarily make them good driving songs: Disc 3 is enough to send you to sleep - not a good idea when you're driving.

Fortunately, Disc 4 is on hand to pick up the speed again. "My Sharona" followed by "Turning Japanese" gets the heart rate going again, and by the time you reach Roxette's "Joyride" you can't help but put your foot down. In fact, it all coasts along quite nicely into Disc 5. There's an inspired choice in Alabama 3's "Woke up this Morning" and a surprise or two along the way (whoever thought "You Can Leave Your Hat On" would make such a great driving song?).

So you know you're on the home stretch now, and The Motors' "Airport" flashes by, followed by the Lightning Seeds' "Life Of Riley". Things are looking up...but then it all ends with a bit of an anti-climax. It ends with the baffling choice of "Year Of The Cat". A good song in it's own right, but a fitting end to an album of driving songs? Hardly. I was hoping for the sort of end that would make you feel like you'd been in a high-speed crash. Instead it feels like rolling slowly to a stop with a flat tyre.

So overall it's a mediocre affair. There are some really good tracks, but these are few and far between, due to too much "songs with 'Road' in the title" filler. It's like a bad journey to work. You start off fine, hit traffic, spend a few minutes going nowhere, finally start picking up speed, and then run out of petrol.

I've run out driving analogies now, you'll be glad to hear.
on 23 April 2008
I thought the fact it had 5 cds was a bargain. This is a very random selection of hits. It is great for a long journey, but however I found myself skipping a lot of the fillers especially on cd's 3 and 4
on 27 August 2008
101 Driving Songs
I have to agree with the more recent comments about this compilation. It is a great mix of stuff, certainly will keep you bouncing about while driving, and also while doing housework etc! Very good value for money and only one or two tracks that I would really call fillers. I had an excellent cassette of driving hits which was stolen and this is a terrific replacement.
on 28 August 2014
CD arrived by post within 3 days - very good service. Good value for money , even though not all songs to our taste!
on 4 February 2014
Some songs I have not heard in a while. Some were not my taste at all - but overall, happy with the collection.
on 9 March 2016
101 DRIVNG SONGS ON A 5CD BOX. I GOT THIS 5CD BOX CHEAP, CHEAPER THAN IF I HAD GOT A SINGLE CD OF DRIVING SONGS. ITS MOSTLY OLD SKOOL ROCK, GOLDEN EARRING-RADAR LOVE AND THE LIKE. BUT U ALSO GET NEW WAVE AND POPPIER SONG BUT NOT TOO MANY OF THOSE THANK GOD. I OWN LOADS OF CDS BUT SOMETIMES U JUST WANT THE HITS WHILE DRIVING OR DOING THE CHORES AT HOME AND THIS 5CD BOX DOES THAT GR8.
on 19 July 2008
these 5 discs, yes 5!!, have a great selection of eclectic tracks. I can't believe people who say they've not heard of most of the tracks...er it gives a track listing, if you don't like it then don't buy. For those people who don't just listen to local commercial "Braindead Radio" then there's a real interesting mix of music from several decades. I'm a heavy rock fan & my other half likes softer rock & pop stylings and we both found great tracks! Go on widen your musical tastes and take a punt on this one.
on 31 May 2008
I was very surprised to see the previous negative reviews for this album.

This is a fantastic collection of tracks, from the 60s to present day, with some gems that I'd forgotten how fantastic they are.

Pay no attention to the previous reviewers - musical taste is very personal. Look at the track lists and make up your own mind. If you like what you see, buy it - you won't regret it. If you don't, well then - keep your money and stay happy.
33 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse