on 2 February 2018
Just great
on 23 March 2015
Tunes are what I was looking for but they already mixed, which is probably my fault for not reading the description properly but will still find a way of using the tracks as individual pieces for my own personal mix
on 13 February 2017
brilliant garage even know
on 31 March 2012
Some tracks are cheesey but I was expecting that as these tracks were played in the clubs at the time but that's part of these sorts of cd's mixing isn't great but doesn't spoil the feel too much cd 3 is the best as the tracks are not so commercial by and large liked the memories
on 17 October 2017
very happy with this cd
on 2 January 2016
Love the beats, back from 90s (good old day)
on 17 January 2016
on 12 September 2013
its a great cd. it bring back all the old school tunes. its wicked well enjoying it. gets you in the party mood :)
VINE VOICEon 16 April 2008
Back in 1996, the scene was first called Speed Garage, then it got called UK Garage when Artful Dodger made their presence heard, and now it's called bassline. Even though I loved Garage - I just wonder when this re-packaging of speed garage will end?

Anyway MOS are as usual picking up on the market, a 3CD mix from acclaimed DJs The Wideboys - known to their mates as Jim Sullivan and Eddie Craig; they have been in the game since 1995 and know what they do well.

CD1 is 2-step classics, like Doolally's playful yet childish "Straight From The Heart", with it's play school lyrics and easy going beats; Scott Garcia and the infamous MC Styles doing "it's a London thing", which to me is always going to be a classic: Indo's instant classic "R U Sleeping", with it's organ stabbing the dark atmosphere wildly. My favourite on here is Azzido Da Bass' "Doom's Night", it always send a shiver down my spine...

CD2 is straight up 4 to the floor bassline stuff, like Kristine Blond's sexy "Love Shy"; MAV's "To Be In Love", also very attractive; Double 99's instant hit "RIP Groove", which still burns up dancefloors across the UK. My favourites on here include Todd Edward's rather uplifting "Saved My Life", his choppy beats and melody being very hypnotic and Tuff Jam's Experience, really it's US House, but we'll forgive MOS.

CD3 is the new skool stuff, like H2Os "So What's It Gonna Be", with it's reminiscent style which doesn't seem to be too far from where it all started back in '96. There's also my favourite Benga track "Night", which reminds me of Azido Da Bass' work. This isn't a bad disk and is worth a good listen. Think it's going to grow on me.

This isn't a bad collection from MOS: it's got a good selection of Garage classics, it's just the mixing - or the lack of it, which is rather letting down the side. It just feels the boys have not really been excited about the project, like they shoved it in Pro Tools and spliced it together. This is a pity, I like to see DJs mixing it up, backflipping records, doing those rewinds and even using equipment to morph (not too much though, it's annoying) - just seems to me they've just done a straight up mix, there's no play with the faders like 2 step DJs do: it's just a bit of a let down. Especially in this no name DJ mix period we're in now, I used to love getting CDs from Tuff Jam they'd mixed in the studio on 4 decks: felt so real.

Pity, but that's the way the cookie crumbles I guess. Look at good old Tuff Jam stuff for good old mixes.
VINE VOICEon 30 September 2009
I'm not a big fan of the mixes anymore, to be honest with you, when you know how to do it yourself you feel you can do better, and here I feel The Wideboys have not been very good with the mixing. Sure there are moments of genius like when they mix Whoop there it is with Spirit Of The Sun, it's nearly a mash up; but really there's nothing here from them that stands out, or makes you want to carry on listening to their mix. I am really pleased to get unmixed tracks which are the full length versions, especially the rather rare Put 'Em High (Danny Bond Remix) by Stonebridge, and some other classics I had forgotten about, but why oh why do they insist on claiming Nightcrawlers' hit Push The Feeling On is garage? It's not, it's commercial dance music, which seems to have sneaked into the UK garage genre as some sort of hiding place. It seems now if you have an organ bassline you can do whatever you want, and it's classified as garage!

There's a lot of good stuff on here though garage wise, like Straight From The Heart by Doolally, which is still a good piece of vocal garage, and Moving Too Fast by Artful Dodger, which is still great, even though a bit too commercial. On the nu-skool front you have Benga's excellent Night track, which is rather atmospheric and could be quite scary listening to it on your own down a dark alley. Obviously tracks like Double 99's RIP Groove is still a big favourite for me, and for DJs too.

I'm not really into the new school of garage - so its nice to have some classics to come back to, shame the mixes are not better - but for the price 70 excellent tracks is worth it's weight in gold - especially as this is a good starter for a DJ who uses MP3s - not that I condone that sort of DJing, it's now a reality and I suppose it's something we have to accept - as the art of mixing vinyl seems to be not as popular now.

Must do better Wideboys, some of the spinbacks to get out of tracks is just not on, and the mixing of tracks which don't work together is just not cool.