Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 5 May 2017
Good film.
on 22 March 2017
A bad place but British freed the few people that were still alive
on 6 July 2017
Not for the faint hearted
on 7 March 2017
Good film, but upsetting
on 12 June 2017
ok
on 14 June 2011
I had the opportunity to visit the Beregen Belsen Memorial in May 2011, what a life changing experience it was for us. A family member is stationed there, so we (my partner and I) spent a lot of time in the area. The memorial.......we found out a lot more info by just talking to folks in the book shop/cafe at the memorial, which was first class. This DVD gives you the perspective of the British Troops and how they coped & realised the mistakes that were being made with the then lack of medical knowledge (don't wish to give too much away). Filmed in a documentry style drama...so the camera work is a bit odd only because it zooms in here and there not a criticism just that i did not know what to expect of the film, pleasantly surprised and also added to our already gained knowledge. The British Army Barracks at Bergen Belsen has the name Glynn Hughes as you enter the camp, I saw this and wondered who he was.....now I know. Would recommend purely because of the fact that I was keen to see a film adaptation of how the British soldiers managed with the horrors/famine that they found in April 1945, learning some extra facts as well. So worth a visit.....Anne Frank and members of her family are buried there.........a decent film....well worth the watch at the price....lest we forget!
44 Comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 January 2017
I first visited the concentration camp of Bergen-Belsen in 1952 during my National Service when it was still in its 'raw' state. Just row upon row of mass graves signed with simple wooden boards - e.g. 'Here lie buried 5,000 bodies' - so many of them. I was 18 at the time and the memory of that dreadful place has never left me. It is my sincere hope that this semi-documentary is shown in all secondary schools so that their pupils will know the truth about Nazi atrocities during World War 2, Greatly recommended. ROBERT WORLEY.
on 3 September 2013
Difficult to say "I like or love it" as the material is so heart rending.
Highly educational and thought provoking.
Very well presented by the actors depicting the real people who experienced this horrendous history.
VINE VOICEon 16 March 2010
I first saw this film almost two years ago when it was shown on Channel 4 and it made a big impression on me then even though being a historian I have seen the newsreel films of Belsen and other Camps many times over the years.

Made on a small budget and filmed on a site in Dorset, the film tells the story of a group of medical officers struggling to cope with the terrible conditions in Bergen-Belsen Concentration Camp during the months of April and May 1945. Typhus had broken out and the local Germans had negotiated with British and Canadian troops a truce in order to allow the allies to help out with containing the disease to prevent it spreading further.

It soon becomes apparant to the allies that they have quite a task on their hands with hundreds of inmates dying every day due to disease and starvation.

Nevertheless, after a few weeks despite the death toll continuing to rise, they did eventually succeed in saving many lives.

Filmed in semi documentary style using hand held cameras in order to provide some authenticity, newsreel film of the actual scenes in Belsen are intercut and these scenes do make uncomfortable viewing.

Like I explained earlier, it was made on a small budget and it does show at times. Nevertheless, it has a very good cast, many of the actors really getting into their parts (Iain Glen, Corin Redgrave, Jemma Redgrave, Tobias Mendies) playing real life characters who understandably, were badly traumatised by their experiences in Belsen. There is a postscript telling the story of what happened to these characters during the post- war years.

A drama which really needs to be seen.
22 Comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 January 2010
Having watched this DVD and visited the Belson site and Bergen/Belson army camp
you come to realise how big this area was.
You see the actual buildings in the army camp that you see in the DVD,and you can imagine the fear that the prisoners must have felt.
I stayed in ex SS admin.block for 7days and could not stop my mind wandering back
to what must have gone on in that area.
How the local German population can say they knew nothing about Belson is beyond me.