on 5 June 2015
I bought this as a beginner's DVD, that's what it is called and it says 'no yoga experience necessary' on the box front and it says on the back, 'Shiva Rea leads this introductory practice'. What I expected from a DVD aimed at beginners was a detailed description of the poses, possibly how to modify them if you were more or less advanced, followed by a flow using those poses. That is not what is on this DVD. Firstly I found the language vague, this forced me to look at the TV more times than any of the other approximately 8 yoga DVDs I own, (from multiple teachers,) none of them are aimed at beginners, for instance what does 'radiate your arm' mean, by the looks of it, it means extend your arm, why not use a term that, I suspect, is much more widely understood? Shiva Rea uses repeatedly the term wisdom pose instead of child's pose, I presumed that these were different names for the same thing but a Google image search for Wisdom pose yoga returns very few images of what I expected, where as Child's pose returns entirely what I expected. Secondly the narration lags the action on screen by 1-2 seconds, (I think this is deliberate,) the problem with this is that when I did not understand the instruction and looked up to watch it, it had all ready been done, so on several occasions I had to rewind to watch so that I could understand what I was supposed to do. There is also a section that is done on a beach at sunset, while this is picturesque, as she seems to be wearing dark trousers against a dark beach I found it difficult to see what her legs were doing.

In a beginner's DVD the language should be clear, precise and consistent with what is commonly used elsewhere, it should also lead the picture if anything so that if someone does not understand they can hopefully look to the TV in time to watch what has just be described and finally the setting should be well lit and not in shadow.

If this were sold as a gentle Yoga DVD that does not require a lot of strength and flexibility it would be fine, it is the fact that it is sold as a beginner's DVD that I rate it so low.
on 12 December 2015
This woman is a legend. I got into her following recommendation from my crania sacral therapist when I was sufficiently strong to incorporate more home practice into my weekly lessons. I love Shiva's voice, and her way of presenting. Of course she has a body that's aspirational not just to look at but her level of strength and flexibility is something that I may get to in 20 years from now! Really enjoy this. This is not for beginners or people with issues - I was not able to do it at the beginning and even now that I have lost 4 stone in weight and got to yoga classes twice as week, I still can't do a lot - but they say that the key to yoga is to listen to your body and not to push yourself beyond what you're able to do right now. It's a really great feeling though when you get a TINY bit further along - it might take 6 months but it feels GREAT.
on 26 August 2012
i bought this video despite being a qualified teacher & far from a 'beginner' because sometimes in my own practise i just want a gentle simple session.
i am a big fan of shiva, she encourages us to listen & learn how to move rather than statically holding a posture. whilst i would still recommend a complete newcomer to attend a class a few times first as the problem with videos is that you cant be 100% sure you're doing it correctly, & some 'beginners' videos have postures i would not consider suitable for somemone new to practise (eg, pigeon, camel)without first assessing their physical capabilities i still love this dvd
on 6 September 2012
I really love this DVD as I was completely new to yoga when I started it! The first time I did the routine I felt amazing afterwards! It's calming and fluid but it makes you sweat by the end and makes you feel cleansed! It's really good to do if you want to start yoga but can't or don't have the confidence at first to join a class! As long as you don't push too hard you won't hurt yourself at all as variations are given for some of the poses if you can't quite do them yet. Most importantly though, shiva's instruction makes you feel at ease and she talks through the poses thoroughly. She makes you feel no pressure to push your body more then it is ready to be pushed at any given time. Some people who may not have much general fitness or those who have back or joint problems may still find this difficult at first and may want to look for a something easier, as I would say this DVD is probably at the top end of beginner, but you can easily find more basic yoga DVD's on amazon. If you are quite fit and strong though and are a total beginner you will love this DVD!
on 26 June 2010
This DVD was exactly what i was looking for. I have been using Joy Nielen's DVD for a while and was looking for another beginners dvd but a bit more advanced with more asanas in it and this one is Brilliant. It is very professionally filmed, beautiful scenery, Shiva explains the moves properly and flows from asana to asana which is great. I will be using this DVD often as it is awesome and will be buying the next one up once i get better!
on 10 April 2016
all good
on 8 May 2013
I've not really tried yoga before so thought I would I would give this one a go.. Good value and I have to say is far more challenging a workout than I first thought. Am using regularly t help stretch and relax muscles as I'm doing an HIIT programme. Good for general relaxation too.
on 17 June 2013
Bought for a relative's birthday at her request. She has since been practicing yoga regularly and firmly believes in it.
on 4 February 2015
fantasic DVD. A little different from the others. Excellent flexibility achieved.
on 24 October 2014