Customer reviews

Twenty One
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 March 2008
After hearing the recent single 'Young Love' and being aware of past material and various music videos on mtv2, i felt this album was a must buy. The album has a number of instantly catchy songs, from 'Hideaway' to 'Two Doors Down', the majority of songs are upbeat with hard hitting drums and a mix of vocal chanting and harmonious melodies. Basically if you like the single 'Young Love' or any of their previous tracks, this album won't disappoint. Still in the early days i think this album will propel this band up a few levels, watch this space.
4 people found this helpful
on 5 November 2011
I absolutely love this album, I did own a copy of this before I ordered it and was happy to promptly receive a second hand copy in excellent condition. I'm pleased to now own the album artwork as well as the music for my favourite Mystery Jets album.
One person found this helpful
on 29 January 2009
This album is highly catchy and the more you hear it the more you get into it, I certainly can't stop playing it in my car. It is very 80's retro yet contemporary at the same time which adds to the appeal even more.
2 people found this helpful
on 30 July 2008
Potential....a word written about various England sportsman..a gloriously English way to bury young talent...enough about sport....this is the Mystery Jets review!!!

After the chaotic sixties prog of their debut LP this is a major suprise,eighties synths,whip cracking snares and slap-bass tumble from the speakers alongside distorted piano chords....are the magpies at play??

But it works....again, these guys have the potential to be the best band on this island....,the melodies are strong enough to smother the smell of some opportunist musical snatch n grabs.

As a whole,this could a 4 star record but the faintly uprising change of musical direction doest seem completely sincere but by no means is this a bad record,not when the likes of Coldplay exist anyway!.
on 3 April 2008
They've tightened their sound and Blaine's voice has never sounded better - leading the band into wildly catchy tunes, feeling more like a complete album then their previous. Fans of their first will find this second effort greatly welcomed.
6 people found this helpful
on 18 June 2008
It REALLY annoys the faeces out of me when bands re-release ablums with a new song and a snazzier cover. When I compile my CD square, I like to see nice bright colours and prettiness in the covers, like this here version has, but my original one does not. I'm not saying I don't like the cover, it's just this one has really funky writing.

Also, the matter of the new song. It seems as if Mystery Jets have taken the "Two Doors Down" opportunity to lengthen their album and, dare I say it, sell more. Why could they have not just put the new song on the album in the first place? Adding it in now and re-releasing just makes fans who bought it when it came out originally feel like they are missing out.

If you didn't buy the first version of this album, I highly recommend that you buy this one, as it still contains all the fantastic eighties pop delights. Two Doors Down is the most obvious example, but Young Love and Half In Love with Elizabeth are equally catchy, and Flakes may just be my favourite Mystery Jets song ever (It's beautiful, though difficult to sing along to). Behing the Bunhouse is also excellent with all its rolling pin violence references, and on my version it has the "hidden track" at the end, after the obligatory pause. So yes, it seems that without Harrison Senior, Mystery Jets have moved from the remote corners of the indie world to the spotlight of popular attention, and rightly so as this effortlessly fun, Erol Alkan produced album proves they deserve it.

All I am saying is that they should not forget their original fans on the way.

We too would like a snazzy cover.
5 people found this helpful