Customer reviews

Anne of Avonlea [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 29 April 2017
Bought this DVD for my granddaughter in order to relive the first time I saw it in 1973 on the BBC. She has seen the Sullivan version of Anne of Green Gables and liked that. This is a more theatrical style version of the two books but it concentrates beautifully on the characters without investing it with false glamour.
on 27 February 2016
Was so pleased to be able to watch this great series once again. I always remembered it very fondly and was very impressed at the very good quality of the DVD. Very sad that the BBC lost the original series of Anne of Green Gables but great to be able to watch the follow up on this DVD. This is defintely the best version of this series.
on 13 May 2017
Charming story. Kim Braden was excellent in the part.
on 29 April 2017
very old but good for young girls
on 27 April 2017
Took me back in time still as good as when I was a child good feeling film
on 26 March 2017
So pleased I didn't waste more than a fiver on this! What dreadful acting! The only good thing in its favour was that it kept closely to the books' storyline.
on 1 September 2016
5*****
on 22 August 2011
I just love this and was delighted to see it out on DVD. I am mouring that they did not preserve anymore of this charming and delightful production. Anne herself is perfectly lovely - I think Kim Braden is enchanting in the part of my childhood heroine.

Nicholas Lyndhurst is a hoot! I could not believe it when I saw him. Other characters are well cast and, be this a slice of your childhood or not, I think you would enjoy this little gem.
on 12 April 2012
Love this series as it was the one I grew up with. Kim Braden is wonderful as Anne and so is Jan Francis as Diana. Shame the 1st series has never been found. Fabulous!
on 16 September 2015
This is a really excellent BBC serial using episodes from Anne of Avonlea and a little of Anne of the Island. We see Anne starting to teach school and dealing with an especially difficult pupil - we see her involved with the Avonlea Village Improvement Society and the hall that gets an unusual colour scheme - We see the twins, Davy and Dora, and the havoc Davy causes, we see Anne meeting a favourite author - but is it the right woman? And there is much, much, more! This is a great series, for it is really faithful to the books, and dramatizes the different situations excellently. It doesn't include everything - it would have to be far longer to do that - but it covers some of the most important episodes in a most satisfactory way. A couple of incidents that I can think of - Anne meeting Mrs. Morgan, and Charlie Sloan's proposal - are shown in more detail than L. M. Montgomery described - but in ways that don't contradict the books but rather bring the episodes even more to life! The actors and actresses portray their characters well, and I thoroughly recommend this version of an important part of the life of Anne, Gilbert - and others!