on 15 March 2011
As usual with Amazon, the satnav was delivered quickly and worked straightforwardly out of the box. The chimes when just over the speed limit can get annoying even if they are a good reminder to drive safely. The Garmin web site said the maps are up to date when I sought the promised update and I could not confirm that the update included the 'safety' cameras. Overall the web site is only helpful if you want to buy something. The handbook can be looked at and explains the processes that you did not understand. As with TOM TOM the instructions 'bear right' can mean anything from bear right, turn right to carry on the main road. You do have to use some initiative, though that may be considered to make the products less than they ought to be in thid technical age. Don't worry it has been re-furbished, it goes just like new.
on 2 April 2009
Like many other posters on this product I did a lot of research before buying. Having been rather scornful for the need of a satnav when printed maps do the job I wanted to be sure I was making the right choice.

My main reason for getting one was for traffic updates in France and navigation around Paris - whilst my wife is an excellent map reader, twice recently we have been caught out by traffic.

Despite all the research I was still a little unsure about reception through a heat reflective windscreen of both the satellite signal and the traffic. However, I have been VERY pleased. It works well and so far the only problem I have had was when it took a little while to get a good fix and seemed a little confused for the first 100 yards or so.

The directions are clear - although sometimes a little American ("take the ramp") but generally very good indeed.

I recently purchased premium traffic for France - we'll see how it works on the continent shortly - and due to my error needed to call customer support. They were excellent, patient and very helpful.

One more thing to add, despite being sceptical of the devices this one managed to find a new and better route for one of our regular trips!

A pleasure to use - and despite other postings, no manual is really needed. Very intuitive interface. I've even started to design custom routes using one of Garmin's downloads and can upload them, and others to the device.
on 7 July 2011
As my Garmin c510 finally gave up the ghost I spent a bit of time researching what was available and decided on the Nuvi 255W. Although the unit is reconditioned, it is impossible to tell. The only thing not included in the box is a USB cable.

The unit picks up the satellite signal generally within 30 seconds. Beyond that, it does exactly as it says on the tin if you'll pardon the cliché. My only worry about the unit being a refurb was quickly allayed. Nothing wrong with this at all and it has more than enough features (some of which I haven't used, nor am ever likely to) for the regular traveller who needs a basic satnav.
on 27 November 2008
This is a great satnav. I had to drive to several seperate locations from Kent to East London to South East London to North London and back to Kent in a day. I would have got totally lost and stressed trying to rely on maps or printed directions. This unit was brilliant and was spot on and simple to use.
Registered and updated to 2009 maps worked O.K but took a long time, circa 5 hours all together. Had a small problem after the map updates as the unit thought I was in Central London for some reason. However, just went into Tools and Reset / Restore to Default Settings and that corrected the problem. Would highly recommend.
on 5 June 2010
The Garmin 255WT. A great little gadget. I tested mine by visiting a friend in a local market town where I knew the principle roads but not the side roads. The Garmin took me unerringly to the location and after visiting my friend I set it to take me home, just as well. At a roundabout a short distance from my friends a police car sealed of the road I wanted and diverted me down a small lane. Without any hesitation the Garmin recalculated my route. A short distance further and lo and behold there was a giant articulated lorry transfixed on a corner unable to go one way or the other. A police officer directed my to another road and the Garmin immediately recalculated my route. I really blessed my Garmin, without it I would have struggled to get home. As it was I drove confidently and arrived home only minutes later than anticipated.
on 16 December 2015
I have had this unit for a number of years now and it never let me down, either in Ireland, England or on the continent. Bought life time maps with it and still get regular updates. The internal Lithium battery didn't last very long (they have a limited life), but just plug it into the lighter socket and all works as new.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 January 2014
Lasted all this time and had several map updates via SD card which has kept it going versus newer ones I have been tempted to purchase, the only difference is not having the lane view for turnings and software which to be honest is not that noticeable. I won't renew this until it dies. Even the battery still holds a good hour or so charge after a few years of heavy use. One of the best buys I have made.
on 20 May 2009
Overall, I am very pleased with this purchase. It is ever so easy to use; very intuitive icons - just use some common sense.
The one thing that I would add to all of the other reviews is that when you come to updating the maps (comes with a free update), you will need about 3 GB of space to store the downloaded files and a further 3.5 GB of space on your C: drive to extract and run the installation program and associated files, which could be a problem if (like me) you put your operating system in your C: drive and use other partitions for applications and data. (My C: drive is 15 GB - 10 GB used!)
Other than this, I am absolutely delighted with the unit!
on 17 November 2010
Order arrived very promptly, device looked new and worked fine, however, although I could register it OK on the Garmin Website I noticed that it had been registered previously in March 2010. This meant that I couldn't get a map update under the advertised Nu-Map scheme leaving me with an 18 month old map set. The current map upgrade price is £50 so I might as well have bought a new device. Amazon have acknowledged the issue and are sending another so full marks for customer service. Will await replacement and see if that works out.
Replacement received and all works as advertised, including map update - very satisfied.
33 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 October 2009
Looked and other satnav options before purchasing and consulted consumer guides that indicated all of the three market leaders were good. Decided on the Garmin for ease of use, quality of build and the performance information from testing. I was not disappointed. It is a super little unit, very easy to set up and to use, recovering and re-setting routes when choosing to detour from a prescribed journey. Very clear voice directions and very well timed. Also excellent to use as a pedestrian in a strange town or city - the locationing is very accurate. Only one negative, the location of speed limits and cameras is not always 100% but majority are picked up and warnings given. I assume changes are too numerous for data to be always fully up to date.

Overall a strong recommendation.