Customer reviews

Morecambe & Wise - The Complete Fourth Series [DVD] [1970]
Format: DVD|Change

on 11 November 2017
Superb music from Kenny Ball and his jazzmen and really enjoyed many of forgotten singers and songs from another era...something quite moving and sincere when Eric And Ernie sing out the show....like they really are sending out a timeless message in this mad world we still live...and getting madder by the day!....love the fact the audience are not whipped into a frenzy at every gag and song.....very understated, and that's very cool. Enjoyed.
on 30 May 2015
Ok not as good as I thought
on 22 December 2008
5 stars for Eric and Ernie - how could it be anything else? Admittedly, the guest stars in this season aren't as well known as some of the others, but Fenella Fielding and Eric Porter are excellent.

For the BBC themselves, not quite so good. Robin Day is in one sketch, but on the packaging and indeed on the menu home page when watching the dvd, the BBC have shown a sketch that isn't on this dvd, something they've done on their previous releases for M&W as well. You would have thought that since they still consider Morecambe and Wise to be their finest comic achievements, they could get something as simple as that right. That said, the series seem to have dried up now so series 5 onwards? Who knows when they'll turn up, or even if.

Meantime, forgive the BBC their failings and enjoy Eric and Ern in their prime!
on 11 February 2015
Thought it'd be easier to say first what I don't like - as it's really not that much. :)

Faults; some of the musical guests are very dated now and even someone like me who actually likes easy-listening and what I'd consider to be a wide variety of music, can find the odd singer that's a bit dull. But that's no biggie as I'm happy to see Kenny Ball And His Jazzmen on every single episode (as they are - and I have CDs of his too.) Also, Ern's plays can go on somewhat... occasionally I'll get into one and I'll have a good laugh at the antics, but sometimes I struggle to stay interested in them. Having said that - I'm still giving 5/5.

As to this DVD itself, I say that it continues to keep up the same standard as the previous series - you're not going to find anything earth-shatteringly new on offer here, but if you liked/loved them then you'll need this to add to your collection. I shall be getting The Complete Fifth Series very soon.

To say what I love about these shows would take far too long, but briefly... the asides (ad-libbed or not, usually from Eric and we know they're only meant in jest) do tickle me! The scenes in their 'flat' are things I can watch over and over because it's like we're getting a snapshot of how they are/were in real life - pretty surreal at times and it makes you wonder if there was much reality to it when they were 'of-duty'; that is all due to the writer Eddie Braben, of course - genius stuff.

Lovely guys and I wish I could have met them - I just hope people will keep buying their DVDs and repeats will keep being shown. Incidentally - that is another reason to buy DVDs of M&W, as great as The Stripper and other routines are - isn't it nice to see these as transmitted and everything in context, rather than just new clip shows that invariably have almost all the same sketches... but not necessarily in the right order.. oops, I'm getting carried away now! :D
on 24 April 2010
I enjoyed The complete Fourth series of Morecombe and Wise very much have yet to find one of their dvd's that is not good I find that each dvd gets better and better no one will ever take their place for entertainment ..
on 3 June 2010
Morecambe and Wise are hilarious and the music from Kenny Ball and his jazzmen makes it even better (although some of the musicians on it are not so good).
on 13 December 2013
Bought as a Christmas Present for Father-In-Law so he has not got it yet - I know it will be just fine - it's classic Morecambe & Wise
on 7 October 2013
As I & my friend love M&W this was the perfect gift and full of fun & laughter a must for any fan !
on 17 March 2010
A GREAT COMEDY TEAM LEADING A VARIETY SHOW. THIS WAS TRANSMITTED IN THE UNITED STATES IN THE EARLY 1980'S. THIS WAS THE KIND OF SHOW THAT I LOOKED FORWARD TO VIEWING. IT WAS LIKE INVITING TWO OF YOUR BEST FRINDS OVER. THEY SEEM TO GET BETTER WITH EACH VIEWING. THEY ARE BOTH QUITE TALENTED AND HAVE A GREAT RUNNING GAG THAT NEVER TIRES. ERIC MORCAMBE CAN MAKE FUN OF ERNIE WISE BUT STILL ONE CAN SEE A BROTHERLY LOVE BETWEEN THEM. THERE IS A RUNNING ACT REVOLVING ERNIE WISE'S TUPE. I'M TOLD THAT HE REALLY DOES HAVE HIS OWN HAIR. THE COMEDY IS BROKEN UP BRIEFLY BY MUSICAL NUMBERS, USUALLY BY KENNY BALL AND HIS JAZZMEN. I WAS SO DELIGHTED TO FIND THE DVD AVAILABLE, I ORDERED THE FIRST 7 SERIES OF THEIR BBC SHOWS AND THE FIRST (1980) SERIES OF THEIR THAMES SERIES. I DO RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE WHO WHAT TO EXPLORE GREAT COMEDY TEAMS.
on 23 May 2009
bought this for me mam and when she watched it all she did was to laugh out loud . soo from that i would say its very funny and she would recomend it i think. top rate comidy !!!!