Format: DVD|Change

on 3 January 2009
This is an excellent twist on the very familiar 'Pride and Prejudice'. Just one thing spoils this dvd release. In the second tv episode, Jemima Rooper, unable to play piano, entertains her hosts by singing 'Down Town',(a song her Mother used to sing to her when she was little, and bear in mind this was early 1800's). On the dvd, this two minute scene has been cut (a copyright issue so I'm told), quite making nonsense of the scenes just before and after. Otherwise this is excellent, it is well thought out and acted, and the actors well chosen. It is of course much more amusing than P&P. Pride and Prejudice and time travel in one neat package.
SINCE WRITING THIS, I'M TOLD THE MISSING SCENE IS BEING REINSTATED. THE ONLY WAY TO TELL IF YOU HAVE THE NEW VERSION IS BY THE DVD NUMBER. 37115-28213 IS THE OLD NUMBER.Jan.2009. Check reverse of cover BEFORE you remove wrapper, if it doesn't mention deleted scenes it is the new version. IF YOU REMOVE THE CELLOPHANE FIRST, YOU CAN'T SEND IT BACK.
66 comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 October 2008
I watched the ITV production and loved this Kooky tale combining the "Life on Mars" format with to the "Pride and Prejudice" story, I loved the idea and have watched my Sky Plus copies over and over again.

But, I've just bought the DVD and found that a crucial scene is missing. In the 2nd episode, the part where Amanda Price sings "Down Town" in the drawing room at Netherfield Park and where it first shows Mr Darcy's attraction to Amanda, has been totally cut out. The DVD edition shows Amanda, Mr Darcy, Mr Bingley and Caroline Bingley sitting around the table having dinner and Caroline Bingley challenging Amanda to entertain them, and then cutting straight to the them applauding Amanda, but not actually showing what she has just done. I was incredibly disappointed as this is a crucial scene in this whole adaption, plus, the comments made thereafter don't make sense!

Yippee, we were listened to by the ITV later copies of the DVD do have the complete scenes.
3232 comments| 161 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 January 2009
For some reason one of the funniest sequences in this wonderful comedy was cut when this dvd was released - Amanda singing Down Town to Mr Darcy and friends. There was a bit of an outcry, and it seems to have done some good because it's been restored! It encapsulates everything that is magic about this show. Jemima Rooper was born to play Amanda - her comic timing is spot on and she's very lovable. Mr Bingley makes me laugh every time I watch this scene, and Mr Darcy's face - at first horrified, and then secretly amused - is a great turning point in the love story. I don't know what they were thinking of cutting it before but it appears pester power has worked!!
44 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 September 2008
I ignored the first couple TV episodes thinking 'utter rubbish, how can they interfere with P and P'? I was urged by friends to watch the third and loved it! Thankfully I caught up online, it was joyful and my loyalty to the Colin Firth Darcy although not surpassed was tinged with respect for Elliot Cowan's interpretation. This production made me smile and cry, don't view it as an Austin purest but as a slant on a much loved story, just enjoy.
on 20 September 2008
When I first read about "Lost in Austen" in Radio Times I thought it sounded like an amazingly silly idea. I decided I probably wouldn't bother to watch it. Thank goodness my curiosity got the better of me, I am thoroughly enjoying it and can't wait to see how they get the story back on track---if indeed they do! The overall look of the production is classy and colourful,with some very intriguing new takes on these much-loved characters, especially Mr.and Mrs.Bennett and Lady Catherine. Jane Bennett's decline after her disasterous marriage is heart-wrenching, almost too heavy for the light-hearted comedy of so much of the production. As a life-long Jane Austen fan, "Lost in Austen" has proved to be a very pleasant, unexpected surprise!
on 5 April 2009
This is surely a mini-series to be recommended. I can't think of anything that could have made it better. It's funny, romantic and surprising, and it has everything a true "Pride and Prejudice" fan could dream of. Haven't we all dreamt of what it would be like to live a day in the life of Elizabeth Bennet? Haven't we all dreamt of being sweapt away by Fitzwilliam Darcy (usually in the shape of Colin Firth of course),look into his deep, dark, passionate eyes - filled with both anger, contempt and love, and know that you are the one person who can turn him on, both intellectually and physically? Well this is your chance. I promise you; you will not be disappointed. When Amanda Price finds a door in her bathroom, which is a secret passage to Elizabeth Bennets house, she discovers a door to a whole new world. A world that is blow her mind completely. She and Elizabeth Bennet accidentally trade worlds, and Amanda now gets to meet the characters from the Jane Austen book "Pride and Predjudice" that she knows so well. A world that she has always considered to be uncomplicated and ideal, but she soon discovers that her presence there has disrupted quite a lot.
on 25 September 2008
This is a delight, a very funny and clever take on an obsession with a particular book. It works so well because for many readers a book lives on in their imagination, they dream of what it would be like to be, say, Elizabeth Bennet. The difference here is that Amanda Price, living in 21st century London, finds herself transported back to the beginning of Pride and Prejudice. But she goes as herself not as Elizabeth. The humour comes from the fact that she is so different from the other characters but mainly because the story is coming out not as in the book. Everything she tries to do to get the story back on track with the "right" people marrying each other only seems to make things worse.

If you know the book at all, it's interesting and funny to see how things are turned on their head. I don't consider myself to be a book purist, although I do know the book fairly well but even if you are, so long as you know that this is most definitely not an adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, I think you will enjoy the fun.

There are some delightful laugh out loud moments and some knowing jokes which are even funnier if you know the book and the Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle version. The recreation of the wet shirt scene is both funny and touching and there are so many others. (Incidentally, I think that scene is an anachronism in the earlier version so even that adaptation is not perfection in my view)

I found the first episode rather irritating because Amanda was doing nothing to make herself less like a fish out of water but I stayed with it and I am so glad I did and I think I won't find that episode so odd on second viewing.

It is well cast and this version of Darcy shows someone with a heart. This is the first time I have had any sympathy with Mrs Bennet - I felt rather more than I have ever done before the very real imperative for her to get her daughters married. I have just laughed at her before, as I was probably meant to, but this portrayal made me feel for her and for her daughters who were as desperate for husbands as she was, in one instance appallingly desperate.

This approach took a different look at the characters and played with the idea of making them or their stories different and shedding a bit more light on how things were, or how we think they were, without being too serious about it.

Highly recommended.
on 3 October 2008
My friends and I have loved this. Light hearted, funny and sweet, it's been the best thing on TV for ages. The only issue I have is how they can axe the "Downtown" scene. A tiny line of print on the back of the box tells you some scenes have been edited/deleted but surely they could have come to some agreement with who ever owns the copy right. Poorly edited around the missing scene, plus it was one of the highlights. ITV had better send us out a new DVD if they include it in future!!
44 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 September 2008
As a big fan of Jane Austen's books, especially P&P, I would have been interested in any new adaptation. However this far surpassed my expectations - it was deliciously funny, and it was easy to forget the total implausibility of the plot and just lose yourself in it! Colin Firth has always been my favourite Darcy but I have to say Elliot Cowan may actually have edged him out of the running - he was fantastic and absolutely gorgeous with it - the perfect Darcy. I have never wanted to be in someone else's shoes more than in the final scene - lucky Jemina Rooper. Highly recommended.
on 21 September 2008
As a dedicated Austenite I am in love with all things Austen and Period Dramma, so was very excited at the prospect of the new Lost in Austen mini series!!
I was a little bit sceptical of the casting of Elliot Cowan as Darcy having seen him play, very convincingly, a vengeful irish murderer however he is brilliant and just as dashing as Colin Firth or Matthew Macfadyen. In fact I find him more engaging and believable in Cowan's performance- There is still all the haughtyness and pride that Mr Darcy should have but there is a real humanity and likeability dispite this, something that Firth never quite got across.

This show is brilliant in it's aims to show Austen as you've never seen or imagined before and for fans it is great. The production bets on the viewer being a fan of both books and, more importantly, the many screen adaptations... who else would laugh at the "Bady done Bingley, badly done indeed"?!
There have been some comment said that if Amanda was as much of a fan of the books as she states then she would know how to conduct herself properly. However her inability to 'fit in' is key to the comedy! If she acted the way she should then this program would not work at all- it needs her 21st century ways to make it funny and acessable! Lets face it who hasnt imagined themselve actually there and wondered how they'd act. Who else would knee Mr Collins in the family jewels?!

This show is a new and very refreshing way to see the world of Austen. We all know how the story should go, what should be said, the social customs..... there must be dancing!! But this goes a step further, as much as I love traditional adaptaions this one is so dramatically different and frankly wrong, that it works wonderfully well!
I wont give too much away of the plot twist as they are so radical and numerous that they are best left to be discovered as you watch.
All I can say is this show is fantastic and I had it on pre-order after the 1st episode!! If you love Austen and love a laugh then buy it!