Customer reviews

Lost in Austen [DVD] [2008]
Format: DVD|Change

on 12 July 2010
One of the best television series I have ever seen. May Jemima Rooper go on to become stupendously famous and win Oscars!

She plays a young lady in present day London who, fed-up with her ungentlemanly boyfriend, is reading Jane Austen's 'Pride & Prejudice (published in 1813) and wishes she could change places with that novel's heroine Elizabeth Bennett. Miraculously, she does.

Gemma Arterton is also very good as Elizabeth Bennnett, although we see much less of her and how she gets on in the Twenty-First Century than of how the young lady from our times gets on actually living in the world she has read about in Jane Austen's novels.

Although I have read Pride & Prejudice I am not usually a great Jane Austen fan. However clever some of her lines and character observations may be, I want a more adventurous story than just the question of who will marry whom. Done this way, with added time travel, we have just that

When I lent my DVD to someone who is fond of Jane Austen, she also loved it. For those who already know the story well, the introduction of a new character with ideas from a different time (I don't think Elizabeth Bennett would have kneed the odious Reverand Collins in the groin!) changes how several of the other characters react to each other and what becomes of them; so even someone who knows the end of 'Pride and Prejudice' by heart will be kept guessing as to how it will all finish up, and amused by the way that with the story shaken up, some of the lines end up being used by a different character in a different context.

Ditto, I now realise, references to another television series Hex - Season 1 [DVD] [2004], which is about a competely different subject but in which Jemima Rooper also stars along with Christina Cole, who plays Caroline Bingley in 'Lost in Austen'. The latter contains a couple of 'in' jokes fro those who have seen both series [Jemima Rooper's character's adult reference to a 'landing strip' in the first episode of both series; and in Hex Christina Cole's 'straight' character refuses Jemima Rooper's lesbian character's advances, while in Lost in Austen it is exactly the other way round.]

Many thanks to everyone who was involved in making this unique series.
on 10 November 2013
I overlooked this film thinking it was some - I don't know - buddy movie or something of some people who were lost in Austen, Texas getting themselves chased, whatever, by rednecks ... or something.

Can't judge a book by its cover; can't judge a film by its title - I couldn't've been more wrong about this film!

It's a terrific take on the basic premise of 'Back To The Future' where someone from the modern age ends up in the past and starts to affect the future, in this case, Regency period England, as a character in 'Pride And Prejudice' where the classic story starts changing due to her influence and she has to somehow get things back on plot. But, as in BTTF, the more she tries to fix things, the more things go wrong!

It's light and frothy, maybe even a bit of a girlie, period rom-com, but hugely entertaining and good fun. A nice way to while away some time. Not to everyone's taste, perhaps, but I enjoyed it enormously. I watched it on Netflix but am in the process of buying the DVD for posterity (and in case Netflix change the way it all works ... wouldn't be the first time!).

Anyway, recommended.

Stephen
on 24 April 2013
I caught this accidentally on TV and was immediately hooked. It's a quirky, delightful take on 'Pride & Prejudice'. You don't need to be a huge Jane Austen fan, or know the story thoroughly in order to enjoy it. All that's needed is the ability to suspend belief at the concept (time travel is one thing, but time travel to a fictional world?) and then sit back and enjoy!

Having seen the TV series very recently (last week in fact), I still cannot wait to watch it again, so much so that as soon as I found out it was available on DVD I had to buy it!

Thanks to the other reviewers for warning about the possibility of the deleted 'Downtown' scene. Bought my copy from Amazon which is clearly flagged as containing this scene so am not anticipating any issues when I finally get a few hours to put my feet up and enjoy this all over again.
on 24 February 2017
An absolutely fantastic 4 parter. It was on TV some time ago but is a very funny take on the Pride and Prejudice book. I have recommended this to a few colleagues who have loved it too. Worth buying for a mother/grandmother for birthday/Christmas /mothers Day.
on 11 September 2016
Hilarious show. Based on Pride and Prejudice but with very modern twists. If you are a fan of Austen but get frustrated when not every details is period relevant then you may want to stay away from this! But if you love period shows and a bit of fun this will bring you many laughs!
on 5 April 2009
This is surely a mini-series to be recommended. I can't think of anything that could have made it better. It's funny, romantic and surprising, and it has everything a true "Pride and Prejudice" fan could dream of. Haven't we all dreamt of what it would be like to live a day in the life of Elizabeth Bennet? Haven't we all dreamt of being sweapt away by Fitzwilliam Darcy (usually in the shape of Colin Firth of course),look into his deep, dark, passionate eyes - filled with both anger, contempt and love, and know that you are the one person who can turn him on, both intellectually and physically? Well this is your chance. I promise you; you will not be disappointed. When Amanda Price finds a door in her bathroom, which is a secret passage to Elizabeth Bennets house, she discovers a door to a whole new world. A world that is blow her mind completely. She and Elizabeth Bennet accidentally trade worlds, and Amanda now gets to meet the characters from the Jane Austen book "Pride and Predjudice" that she knows so well. A world that she has always considered to be uncomplicated and ideal, but she soon discovers that her presence there has disrupted quite a lot.
on 27 September 2017
I bought this as I missed it when it was shown on the telly. A light hearted modern version on Jane Austen, I particularly liked her honest opinions.
on 15 September 2009
Gosh. This is a bit of a guilty pleasure. I shouldn't like it but I do. You need a bit of a sense of humour about your Jane Austen to watch this one. It takes liberties. But then if you didn't I don't suppose you'd be looking this up.

Some annoying scenes, but made up in some fab one liners... 'I wouldn't have my deficit redressed by you if you were the last man on earth!'. Oh the larks! And Collins is creepy man!

Also, Elliot Cowen as Darcy... in the you know what scene. I want to bite him so much my jaw aches. What a hottie.
on 13 September 2017
Great modern day twist on Pride and Prejudice. All the characters are really good and it's a thoroughly enjoyable story. Would recommend
on 26 September 2017
Excellent quality. Good acting. Unusual story line but includes so much of Pride and Prejudice.