on 8 October 2008
Larry David, simply put, IS a genius.This series marks the beginning of a new era of comedy. Sad to say it's ratings do not fairly reflect the sheer perfection and success of this show. Gargantuan perfomances from David, Hines, Garlin and the fabulous shrieking and vulgar Susie Essman.Guest artists from Ted Danson to a quirky and hilarious guest appearance from Steve Coogan give masterclasses in understated and intelligent comedy.
The journey through series one to six is a torturous but gutbustingly funny experience. Through the myopic eyes of David we see the faults of others and the vaccuous world he resides while accepting and sometimes applauding his own glaring faults. A man of honesty and insights who deals with others the way we could only hope to.
Hines performance as his long suffering wife, Cheryl for me is the jewel in this show. She holds David's perfomance and perfectly compliments his tempestuousness with a quiet and dainty strength. You absolutely believe this crazy complicated guy exists because of the excellent scenes played with Cheryl Hines.
If you go through life laughing without the guilt and pleasure of laughing with (and at) Mr Larry David... then that's pretty, PRETTY, PRETTY sad.
44 comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 August 2009
When I first watched Curb, if I'm honest, I found it dull, boring and not particularly funny!
It's only when you get it into your mind that "No matter what Larry does, he always manages to upset everyone" that you start to understand the genius of the show and the characters! It's easy to dismiss the show because of the unusual format (unscripted and sometimes drawn out episodes) but I'm so glad I stuck with it!
I'm a big fan of the more mainstream American Comedy's (Friends, 2 and a half men, Will & Grace etc) but I have to say this is by far my favourite!
Larry is a loveable character and although he's often politically incorrect and offensive, he generally only has other peoples best interests at heart!
Larry isn't afraid to speak his mind, point out what others wouldn't dare pointing out and I love him for it! I often find myself saying "Oh poor Larry" before bursting into fits of giggles!
By far the funniest show on TV. It's not often I can watch a whole 6 series and then want to go back to the beginning and start over!
This is pretty, pretty, pretty good!!
on 18 November 2008
HBO easily makes my favorite American shows aprt from the west wing. The Wire being the best drama ever made and Curb you Enthusiasm easily my favorite American comedy. In fact its so far clear of those 2 and half..every one loves.. king of... well, nothing whatso ever, that nothing american is comparible to Curb. Even Seinfeld, which was co-created and written by Larry david falls a long way short of my affection for curb.
Its hard to review this without moronically gushing about how frickin good it is and wanting to scream "you simply have to watch this, its just simply brilliant". Yes, very hard indeed to keep that in.
However its not for everyone, if you watched Norbit and thought that was funny... 'Curbs' not for you.
If you like 2 pints of Larger and a packet of crap.... Again not for you
Curb makes you squirm! Ricky Gervais's Office uses the curb style squirm with great effect, but, as much as I loved the office, I'd always reach for a CYE dvd first.
Larry David plays himself, but he plays the side of himself that we all keep quiet. The Sociopath. He says the things we all keep in and elaborately gets himself in and sometimes out self created dilemmas. If you like intelligent, well written and beautifulled structured comedy, you owe it to yourself to give Curb a lot of time.. it is just simply the best comedy show ever.
on 14 February 2009
came across curb one night whilst flicking through channels on sky, it was series 5 and i was instantly hooked. the box set was purchased from amazon and all of our household became obsessed with it. written and starring larry david, co-creator of seinfeld, the episodes are not scripted, instead the cast is given an idea of a theme or an outline and have to run with it. what is produced is gloriously natural and spontaneous acting from a terrific cast. larry always means well, but is a person who doesn't know when to stop digging when he's in a hole. a must watch!
on 11 February 2009
I had only seen single episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm on long haul flights and really didn't appreciate the humour; in fact I found it mildly offensive. I'm really glad that I didn't allow my initial prejudice to stop me from buying this collection.

It is the only sitcom that makes me laugh out loud, having tuned in to Larry's head. I like the fact that the actors have been given freedom to improvise scenes and this creative liberation has brought great rewards. I think it's very naturally acted as a result. The humour isn't underlined by canned laughter and boundaries have been pushed well beyond what you would normally expect from tv situation comedy.

I understand that there is another series on the way, which rather spoils my "complete collection box set"; c'est la vie. I can't wait.
on 3 January 2013
I caught on to CYE late, a year or so after terrestrial transmission, This alongside "Frasier" and "Only Fools and Horses" and the hit "Mrs. Brown's Boys" are some of the few comedies for me that make me laugh REAL HARD!!!......a good buy if you're in need of a good laugh
on 24 June 2009
According to the packages of each season, following subtitles are available:
French language season 3, 4 and 5
English text: all seasons
English for the hearing impaired: season 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 (minus 2)
Swedish: all seasons
Dutch: season 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 (minus 2)
Greek: season 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 (minus 2)
French: season 1, 3, 4, 5 (minus 2 and 6)
Hungarian: season 4, 5 and 6
Portuguese: season 1, 4 and 5
Hebrew: season 4 and 5
Arabic: season 1 and 3
Norwegian: season 1 and 2
Finnish: season 2 and 3
Danish: season 1
44 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2010
Well after watching Ricky Gervais interview Larry David, Ricky saying that he was the funniest man ever I had to purchase this DVD. We bought the first season and we didnt stop laughing! we instantly ordered the whole season and now are on season 4 and it hasnt let us down its sooooo funny, very dry sense of humour and Larry is the STAR! and his manager Jeff.... Larry says it as it is and falls out with alot of people who just dont get it! BUY IT AND LAUGH ALL THE WAY THROUGH IT! highly recommended!
on 9 June 2009
This type of comedy will not be loved by all but I believe it to be a clever and extremely influential sitcom. Following the trials and tribulations of a fictionalised Larry David as he amuses himself in semi-retirement. As his character, David is notoriously disliked by the residents of Santa Monica for his outlandish behaviour, inappropriate remarks, and self-centred attitude. Larry David himself has stated that this character is an imagination of what he may be like if he had no social awareness. Larry David is his own worst enemy and often his intellectually narcissistic and inept behaviour leads him into situations that perpetuate out of control. This is a comedy of tension and awkwardness, a huge influence on series such as The Office. The method of acting and writing which involves ad-libbing at times contribute to the awkward style of the comedy. If that doesn't sound like your type of program then its best to avoid it. I for one love it, though its often hard to watch i'm a glutton for punishment! Sometimes he says things i'd like to say in real life, and though he blunders himself into bad situations I have developed an affection for the character. A great sitcom that doesn't dip in quality throughout the six seasons.
on 15 April 2010
Curb is one of the best American comedies I've seen in ages. It's well written and often cringeworthy like 'The Office' as Larry David stumbles from one bad situation into another. There are some great cameoes from the likes of Ben Stiller and is always laugh out loud funny. Buy this and you won't be disappointed.