on 12 February 2017
The story is beyond my expectations. Beryl Markham's writing is beautiful, thrilling, full of poetry, drama and with an atmosphere of a world long gone. and an old time English quite challenging to a Danish reader.
BUT yet I was disappointed. I ordered and payed for a NEW book, and according to the label on the back of the book it is. But the fact is that Amazon send me an OLD, secondhand book, full of comments from the previous owner inside. I considered returning the book - but began reading and was captured.
on 3 August 2017
I found I was holding my breath many times reading about Beryl Markham's adventures. Some wonderful descriptions of her life in Africa and of her flying career. I have read her biography recently but was very pleased to have read her story in her own words .
on 11 May 2017
Inspired autobiographical essays of esteemed literary quality.
on 16 January 2018
Wanted to like it as a pilot. However gave up with the constant jumping around between adult life and childhood. May be me but I like a story that flows easily. I was on holiday and did not want anything too taxing!

Did like some of the descriptive images of Africa though.
on 28 June 2017
This is a book I read years ago. I don't think I realised at the time what an awful, selfish woman she was. Very talented, able to charm birds off trees but dreadful.
on 11 February 2018
Lovely work
on 4 December 2014
After a slow start I found the whole book quite interesting. Maybe people could be concerned about the game hunting but bearing in mind that the time frame was the '20 - '30s I could overlook that and, being avidly interested in aviation history, I was only disappointed that some references were not covered in more detail. One thing that I did find annoying was that the book was printed on poor quality paper which gave the the a rather fuzzy look - not too good for those with less than perfect eyesight!
on 8 June 2014
I bought the same book a couple of years ago and enjoyed it enough to make this latest purchase of the book as a gift to a friend who also liked it very much. Beryl Markham led an extraordinary life and told a good account of it. However, to more deeply understand her character and achievements, I strongly recommend Mary S. Lovell's biography of Markham, entitled, "Straight on Till Morning", which should be read after "West With The Night".
on 22 July 2017
a really interesting book
on 25 January 2017
A good read with some exciting adventures entwined with vivid descriptions of African territory.