on 25 June 2017
Getting used to it, prompt delivery
on 24 January 2009
I updated to the latest generation Nano a couple of months ago - this is the third one I've owned in as many years. Overall I love the new design, it's very attractive to look at and the screen is beautiful. Unfortunately a couple of things really drive me up the wall :

First, I find that the click wheel is quite a clumsy interface. Often, I'll try to scroll to a specific song in the menu and then overshoot a couple of times before I finally get the right one - I find it almost impossible to select music while i'm walking. Also, scrolling to the end of an hour-long podcast using the wheel takes forever - I wish there was a way to make the wheel 'accelerate' faster.

Second, with the new generation Nano I often find myself opening up a pop-up menu by accident and/or somehow rewinding to the start of the podcast that I'm listening to - which means that I have to scroll all the way back to the point I left off. I haven't quite figured out what I'm doing wrong to bring up these menus all the time, but it's a pain

Last of all, the nano crashes quite frequently - a couple of times a week is not uncommon. When it does this, I'm sent back to the beginning of whatever podcast I'm listening to, and once again I have to scroll forward to where I left off.

Aside from these relatively minor complaints, though, i'm very pleased with my purchase.
on 1 September 2009
The Ipod nano is indeed a fantastic product - a credit to the Apple brand. The 3rd generation nano however, is - disappointingly - a considerable regression from the 2nd generation model.

Backward steps:

Ergonomics: the key lock switch has been moved from the base (near the other buttons) to the top. Result: for every change of the volume, i've got to move the ipod around in my hand (so that i can reach first the lock, then the wheel).

Battery life: the 3rd generation nano has a considerably shorter battery life than the 2nd generation. It's still pretty long, but it wasn't good enough for a recent coach trip.

Accelerometer: whenever lying horizontal, the screen switches to cover flow. That could be handy for some people. But it's a bloody pain if all you want to do is change the volume.

Improvements:

Weight: believe it or not, they've managed to cut back further (lost battery weight).

Memory: as expected, they've upped it to 16GB - i can carry a larger proportion of my lectures, audio-books and music library. That gives me more freedom.

Overall, the 3rd generation nano is great, but it is inferior to the 2nd generation nano. We've come to expect the best of design from Apple. In this case, they seem to have abandoned sensible trade-offs, and compromised quality to meet their weight saving target.
on 3 December 2009
What can I say, 3rd time lucky? It has stopped working twice now and has thus proved to be highly unreliable. My Sandisk MP3 that I have had for 4 years has never once given me problems so I know what I will be getting next time and it wont be an i-pod.
on 26 November 2008
I bought the aluminium Nano as a birthday present for my wife following the massive let down of a Creative Zen player and it's the mutt's nuts! It feels well made, though incredibly light, it's easy to set up, the user interface, as with all iPods, is easy to use and the sound quality is fantastic. Add into that a couple of games and the new 'Genius' function and you've got everything you could want from an MP3 player. Plus this charged on all of my existing docking stations, from the cheap to the not-so-cheap!
33 Comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 January 2013
Bought it for myself. Thought 4th. generation was the best of all for the money as it has a display screen and one is able to put music into differing folders. Intuitive to use and to download and transfer music.
on 24 December 2008
After losing my beloved iPod by accidently immersing it in water I was in the market for a new one.

My original 4GB 2nd generation Nano cost £80 about a year ago so I thought this one was good value for money.

It has a lot of features my original didn't and I can't stop showing it off!

I'm so glad I bought it!
on 25 January 2009
My Nano (3g) got mangled so I bought this. Great to look at and nice little features. So on the face of it this is a good little machine.

Then I plugged it into the dock in the car....The thing said that charging was NOT supported....I use the ipod in the car 99% of the time, bought a new radio which proudly stated it was designed for Ipod then found this generation has removed the charging facility......Apple what are you thinking? Pity really but, for me it is a fatal flaw.

Anyhow, sold the Ipod and bought a 3rd gen one again which does everything I want and remains charged through the day.
on 15 December 2008
I had to replace my ipod Nano recently and am very disappointed that on my BOSE docking system the Nano will not charge !!!! Neither will it charge up on my car adaptor.
I need to but a mains charger for it or just rely on recharging from the USB .
It's a great MP3 other than that !
on 29 April 2009
I was never going to buy an iPod. I thought everyone who did was just following the crowd.

Now I'm glad I did. The new iPod Nano is just fab. iTunes store is full of podcasts to enjoy and even on the small screen it is a joy to watch clips and even longer shows. Crystal clear screen.

Don't believe the negative comments about the lack of sound quality with iPods - I think it sounds great.

My only criticism is the battery life, as it runs down very quickly if you watch video clips, but just get a cheap charger to plug into the mains and power it up. It works for me. Enjoy.